Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What sort of bad experiences have you had with ColoCrossing hosts? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What sort of bad experiences have you had with ColoCrossing hosts?

2»

Comments

• Umaxhosting for me. Enjoyed the dd write speeds of low double digits MB/s at all times of the day. No thanks, even for 10 bucks a year.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • A year ago I was just looking for a cheap VPS to play around with. I found one from LEB's listing: MegaZone Hosting. It was nothing but problems.

The server was VERY overloaded. often the CPU would be too busy for me to SSH in, or the service was turned off somehow and I would have to manually boot it again, or the hard drive was completely full (not my quota, but the physical hard drive). Probably around half of the time I tried to use the server I would find it inoperable. This continued for the entire 12 months I had bought it for. I never received any communication that they were working on the problems, or that there were any upgrades. I'm thankful I only wasted $15 on this mistake.

Then I bought one from Virmach, which had better features, cost less, and I've never had a single problem with them.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • bamboopuppy said: The server was VERY overloaded.

It still is. Mine expires in a few days.

Also TechVPS which closed its doors rather suddenly about six months after I picked one up.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

vovler said: LostMyBytes

Was HostMyBytes CC? I had a horrible experience with them but I didn't think they were CC.

I was a 123systems.net customer years ago. They were complete garbage. Then they were acquired by CC. I still had some service and they didn't get better. I left. In fairness, that was 2012.

Chicago VPS's posts here permanently turned me off to that brand.

I think that's the sum of my CC interactions as a customer. However, I tend to only buy from vendors who are highly regarded and have been around a while with excellent track records (e.g., BuyVM, SecureDragon, bigger players like DO/Vultr, etc.)

• Umax- constant hard shutdowns with no reboot while doing absolutely nothing. Im adition write OR read at speeds of 5mbs and after 5 m your vps will be killed. Beyond trash support

Chicagovps - used to be solid then failed to update ovz... Lead to apt get update + a reboot killing ssh access on their stock Ubuntu template . Filed a ticket and boom works great again until you update and reboot... Kept making me think it was me doing something stupid and took alot of trial and error to find out that it wasn't something i did wrong even a fresh install from their template was fked... No announcement, no proper reply to support ticket just a big fu to me and my data... Being stuck in a 3 year contract with no pro-rated refunds also stung...

Thanked by 1poisson
  • Oh boy.. there are a very large majority of the sites that are run by the same person. They exhibit the same behaviors, they refuse refunds - citing a 3 day refund policy, and they delay response until after 3 days. They fuck up the initial deployment node/location. They send spam within minutes of each other. Hopelessly oversold. Names: snowvps, solvedbydata, hostbrz, umaxhosting, (dead now: techvps, alpharacks, woothosting, hostmybytes)

The good. So far I'm having a good experience with my $40/year 4 core 4gb KVM from supremevps (got it before the crazy price hike) and it's been honestly flawless. I also have a $5/year cpanel reseller from hosting73 which has been surprisingly performant and available. Same deal for a $1/year cpanel account from kudohosting, bless them, they fucked up and provisioned me with 300gb instead of 30gb.

The abovementioned vps was purchased not quite a year ago, and i recently renewed the hosting for lols, particularly the reseller haha

Thanked by 3kkrajk uptime skorous
  • AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited November 2019

I have had VMs with the following, and more:

Colocrossing

Woothosting

GVH

BuyVM

To unpack all of the events that happened with these providers would be a waste of time. However, we can consolidate it down to a few key points. Such as host node load issues, network problems, blacklisting, overselling, et cetera. They revolved around a key issue, and that was my time. Each of these issues required me to take action, diagnose the problem, and request for a solution. Which were times that I was taken away from doing something else that I wanted.

So to summarize all of the hosts that I have been with that involved Colocrossing. They wasted my time.

• TCNHosting.

Ordered a VPS, 3GB RAM, 30GB disk space, $20 for year, however after 1 month, RAM usage capped to 32MB; moreover the server goes offline for 12 hours every 2 to 3 days.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@AlyssaD said:
    BuyVM

So to summarize all of the hosts that I have been with that involved Colocrossing. They wasted my time.

Not CC unless @Francisco is hiding a dark secret.

• @raindog308 said:

@AlyssaD said:
    BuyVM

Wasn’t that dark secret in a relative’s basement?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Nekki said:

@raindog308 said:

@AlyssaD said:
    BuyVM

Hey, we give him water...usually.

We haven't been at CC in...4 years? Maybe 5?

Was only colocation and only in Buffalo.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Nekki ihatetonyy
  • Virmach just had an an outage in Chicago for 6+ hours... and still recovering. Is a $2 VPS used as testbed so can't complain.

They are just good for practice stuff... would never trust them for production workload.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2019

Honestly, I had services with ChicagoVPS years back in several locations and aside from some occasional network issues in one of the more 'satellite' locations they were in, everything was fine and performance was pretty decent.

I nearly took up @Jbiloh on an offer of a dedicated a couple of years back but ended up declining. Depending on your needs they are probably ok for a dedicated.

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited November 2019

@Francisco said:

@Nekki said:

@raindog308 said:

@AlyssaD said:
    BuyVM

Hey, we give him water...usually.

We haven't been at CC in...4 years? Maybe 5?

Was only colocation and only in Buffalo.

Francisco

Apologies.

BuyVM BlueVM

Thanked by 3datanoise tgl Francisco
  • elliotcelliotc Member
    edited November 2019
    200+/16 cpu load on shared I remember.

Edit: Is QN, not cc

• SnowVPS? Avoid. Lost money with #HostMyBytes and now I've lost money with SnowVPS. Ok i'ts only $12.75 but I wasn't gambling more. VPS kept hanging, slow to fix, after they migrated the VPS to a different node couldn't ping it, they fixed that and I lost interest. Claimed a refund. Delaying tactics. Don't sign up with SnowVPS.

• @NookieJohn700 said:
    SnowVPS? Avoid. Lost money with #HostMyBytes and now I've lost money with SnowVPS. Ok i'ts only $12.75 but I wasn't gambling more. VPS kept hanging, slow to fix, after they migrated the VPS to a different node couldn't ping it, they fixed that and I lost interest. Claimed a refund. Delaying tactics. Don't sign up with SnowVPS.

Congrats on your first post

Thanked by 2dahartigan uptime
  • @angstrom said:

@NookieJohn700 said:
    SnowVPS? Avoid. Lost money with #HostMyBytes and now I've lost money with SnowVPS. Ok i'ts only $12.75 but I wasn't gambling more. VPS kept hanging, slow to fix, after they migrated the VPS to a different node couldn't ping it, they fixed that and I lost interest. Claimed a refund. Delaying tactics. Don't sign up with SnowVPS.

Congrats on your first post

They couldn't find his VPS in the Blizzard! ;)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Nekki said:

@isijosamua said:
    Overloaded vm's with blacklisted IP range as bonus.

Which provider specifically, and when?

Last year. The provider is Hiformance. :neutral:

• The last time I used a CC host was way back with the jeremy debacle, and their whole database was posted online. That incident soured me so bad on them it is not funny, did not even get an apology for the whole thing. Shit never got an email stating it had happened. Had to get the news here and it was a cluster.

I will never trust another host that uses CC services, not even Virmach. He seems to be a decent host and all, but I can not trust his infrastructure behind him. Not for anything serious anyways.

• SnowVPS refunded my $12.75 today. Just checked the account. Fair's fair they did the right thing.

Thanked by 2angstrom dahartigan