Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be coupons for BF HostHongKong.net deals this year? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will there be coupons for BF HostHongKong.net deals this year?

2»

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@randvegeta said:
    It was always my plan to bring back the NAT VPS. Again, biggest issue is the disk. Disks have died quickly and run super slow. Especially when everyone orders at the same time. Provisioning all those VMs generates a lot of I/O which excerbates the problem. Spread it out over many days and it's tolerable. So new VMs will run SSDs. Then we will see just how long an SSD will last before all those write cycles kill it :P

If that's the case you can also accept pre-orders only, for both NAT and KVM-LET-SPECIAL. Expected delivery between let's say 2-3 weeks then deploy on SSD.

Will be great if you can add even more discounts for the first few orders :D

Feel free to check out the megathread to post the additional discounts! https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/161813/cyber-monday-2019-official-deal-thread-no-gimmicks-no-fuss-just-dealz#latest

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

FAT32 said: If that's the case you can also accept pre-orders only, for both NAT and KVM-LET-SPECIAL. Expected delivery between let's say 2-3 weeks then deploy on SSD.

Will be great if you can add even more discounts for the first few orders

Feel free to check out the megathread to post the additional discounts!

Alright fine.

I've opened the NAT VPS for orders, but no auto setup. We'll see how well it sells. I've also added a 512MB and 1024MB NAT option.

ETA on delivery is mid December (ish). Will run all SSDs.

Thanked by 2FAT32 nullnothere
  • @randvegeta said:

FAT32 said: If that's the case you can also accept pre-orders only, for both NAT and KVM-LET-SPECIAL. Expected delivery between let's say 2-3 weeks then deploy on SSD.

Will be great if you can add even more discounts for the first few orders

Feel free to check out the megathread to post the additional discounts!

Alright fine.

I've opened the NAT VPS for orders, but no auto setup. We'll see how well it sells. I've also added a 512MB and 1024MB NAT option.

ETA on delivery is mid December (ish). Will run all SSDs.

Where is NAT VPS link?

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    Thanked by 1alilet
  • Thank you @randvegeta I just got my DeVM-1G for the next 6 months. I initially tried to get it for 12 months but it kept saying the coupon was incompatible with the offer (or vice versa).

Anyways thanks again.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@BKKHK said:
    Thank you @randvegeta I just got my DeVM-1G for the next 6 months. I initially tried to get it for 12 months but it kept saying the coupon was incompatible with the offer (or vice versa).

Anyways thanks again.

@BKKHK said:
    Thank you @randvegeta I just got my DeVM-1G for the next 6 months. I initially tried to get it for 12 months but it kept saying the coupon was incompatible with the offer (or vice versa).

Anyways thanks again.

Yeah the coupon is good for any billing cycles of 6 months or less. We didn't want to come up with special policies to avoid people getting 50% off on domains for example. Or on our crazy cheap NAT VPS plans. So I hope 6 months will be fine ;)

Thanked by 1BKKHK
  • @BKKHK said:

Anyways thanks again.

Yeah the coupon is good for any billing cycles of 6 months or less. We didn't want to come up with special policies to avoid people getting 50% off on domains for example. Or on our crazy cheap NAT VPS plans. So I hope 6 months will be fine ;)

Don’t worry I understand how hard it is to make a living in this business, that being said I most likely won’t renew past the initial 6 months (if I don’t get the same deal again) but in all fairness, I want to keep a low profile on that VPS not be a resources hog.

I am very satisfied with the economy bandwidth as I can reach my main OVH VPS located in SG under the 35ms threshold over the premium bandwidth, I also got lucky with the IP address assignment, it got a “cute” IP address number, I like it.

As for the server itself, I might host a secondary DNS on it, 1 OpenVPN, 1 IRC client and 1 empty IRCd and that’s about it, nothing that attracts unwanted packets or heavy throughput at this point.

Thanks! 🙏

• Addition, dmesg spews these messages, never seen those before:

[ 1410.094369] perf interrupt took too long (2522 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 50000
    [ 3596.559214] perf interrupt took too long (5176 > 5000), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 25000
    [ 7844.097615] perf interrupt took too long (10015 > 10000), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 12500
    [35429.689753] perf interrupt took too long (20115 > 20000), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 6250

Anything I should be worried about?

• @randvegeta : thanks for the offer! one suggestion to reduce initial writes would be to offer more recent debian images. your newest one is 8.7, while the recent stable is 10. just updating to buster downloads 500mb of packages and writes much more.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @bryce Fair point. One of the first things I had done too was editing the sources.list file and replace the default entries from ftp.debian.org to ftp.hk.debian.org also the tz-data was defaulting to North America instead of Asia/Hong-Kong.

Nitpicking one would say, but yeah updated images with the proper local mirrors and proper TZ would make sense at this point.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

BKKHK said: tz-data was defaulting to North America instead of Asia/Hong-Kong.

Personally I hate it when tzdata defaults to wherever the provider is, on servers it should always default to UTC.

• randvegeta said: I will amend these plans to have much less disk space, but run them on SSDs instead.

Is "HK-KVM-NAT-256MB" actually on SSD now? I got one recently but the disk IO is far slower than other NAT VPSes I've got with other providers, even those on regular HDDs. Took over 35 minutes to upgrade to a newer Debian version, most of the time spent unpacking the packages (downloading was quite fast).

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2019-10-08                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri 03 Jan 2020 01:51:20 PM EST

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3392.166 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : â Disabled