Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the deal with Ikoula? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the deal with Ikoula?

Comments

• @Mr_Tom said:

AlwaysSkint said: Unreal, Kimsufi, SoYouStart, Scaleway - all dedis leased, with no ID.

So far I think kimsufi has been the only supplier I've used who have asked for ID, so they do every now and then.

Yeah dude OVH will ID on any brand with any suspicion.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    ^ lacking comprehension and Google skills?
    I was not giving anecdotal information, only facts.

ok boomer

Thanked by 1debaser
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

SirFoxy said: Yeah dude OVH will ID on any brand with any suspicion.

Admittedly I didn't become an OVH/Kimsufi customer until a while after, Hetzner didn't ask for ID. It wasn't an issue, just a bit unexpected lol.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2019

As long as you don't use VPN and as long as your IP address matches the address on your CC or Paypal, they may not ask for IDs.

VPN is the main issue.

Well, if you are from problematic nations, they may ask regardless.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited November 2019

the reason they ask for ID is because they are afraid you will reverse payment on them. basically all bank based payment systems are reversible so merchants are forced to police their customers like this.

look for providers that accept bitcoin. bitcoin is irreversible so they don't face that risk anymore and shouldn't demand ID.

Thanked by 1shillshocked
  • I looked up the OP's history and the previous thread he started years ago was about a DMCA friendly host. The signs are not encouraging.

Thanked by 2vimalware angstrom
  • I'm pretty sure @Ikoula do not keep a copy of your ID after verifying it.

Just based on my experience of them asking for it again when I ordered a new service from them ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked by 1shillshocked
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited November 2019

@uptime said:
    I'm pretty sure @Ikoula do not keep a copy of your ID after verifying it.

Just based on my experience of them asking for it again when I ordered a new service from them ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's some logic from certain quarters of LET about this point:

How do you know if they do not keep a copy of your ID? It is possible that they kept a copy and asked you for it again. Just because they haven't been discovered to have kept a copy of your ID previously doesn't mean that they did not do it. @jsg

• @poisson - yeah, it's a guessing game to be sure ... I suppose one might also take into consideration that they are a registered corporation operating in a GDPR-centric jurisdiction - for whatever that's worth.

I may or may not be interested to know just a wee bit more about the rumors of some extra level of attention from the CIA in recent years (something something wikileaks, or something like that)

Thanked by 2poisson shillshocked
  • Im renting various servers since 6 years and I was never asked for ID.

Thanked by 1shillshocked
  • DazzleDazzle Member
    edited November 2019

@shillshocked said:
    So anyways, if anyone can list dedicated providers that offer reasonable prices (keeping LEB users in mind) and don't require an ID just to rent a server, post a reply.

Try servdiscount.com, had some servers with them several years ago and never asked any ID submission.

Addition: nocix.net and dedispec.com

Thanked by 2shillshocked uptime
  • @poisson said:
    I looked up the OP's history and the previous thread he started years ago was about a DMCA friendly host. The signs are not encouraging.

The DMCA was originally passed as a response to 9/11. It was supposed to thwart terrorism, not crack down on legitimate fair use. So, yeah I prefer European providers for that reason, but there are some other areas (which may be a bit expensive) and they are even more privacy-friendly.

• @SirFoxy said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Unreal, Kimsufi, SoYouStart, Scaleway - all dedis leased, with no ID. I don't order via a VPN and as above if your email matches your PayPal one (TLD) and/or you address is 'close' to being full, then you should be OK.
    I also get pissed off that some (domain) providers insist on a fully verifiable address for "virtual"/online services.

Kimsufi & SoYouStart can ID on many occasions, no idea who Unreal is, and Scaleway is dumpster juice.

Elucidate on what you mean by "dumpster juice".

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Jord said: OVH, Hetzner, DO and I think and even a few small ones have asked me for my ID. Hoping they then securely delete it, which I would think they would be doing.

I can't tell you what the other providers do, but my coworkers in the Product Advice/Sales department delete the image of the ID within minutes of deciding whether or not the new account looks fake or valid. --Katie

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug ITLabs
  • To answer OP: a bad one.

• @shillshocked said:

@SirFoxy said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Unreal, Kimsufi, SoYouStart, Scaleway - all dedis leased, with no ID. I don't order via a VPN and as above if your email matches your PayPal one (TLD) and/or you address is 'close' to being full, then you should be OK.
    I also get pissed off that some (domain) providers insist on a fully verifiable address for "virtual"/online services.

Kimsufi & SoYouStart can ID on many occasions, no idea who Unreal is, and Scaleway is dumpster juice.

Elucidate on what you mean by "dumpster juice".

Imagine trash put into a blender, that is the product.

• @shillshocked said:

@poisson said:
    I looked up the OP's history and the previous thread he started years ago was about a DMCA friendly host. The signs are not encouraging.

The DMCA was originally passed as a response to 9/11. It was supposed to thwart terrorism, not crack down on legitimate fair use.

Sorry, what?

Thanked by 1Jord
  • Well actually that was the Patriot Act, but they enacted DMCA during that time.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I'm with @Nekki I'm lost....

• @shillshocked said:
    Well actually that was the Patriot Act, but they enacted DMCA during that time.

Nah mate, chatting shite.

• shillshockedshillshocked Member
    edited November 2019

@Nekki said:

@shillshocked said:

You don't know what you're talking about. There were plenty of scene raids by the FBI shortly after 9/11. They blindly used the legislation for stuff not terrorism-related.

I remember because a friend of mine had some pretty good access to fxps, ftp dumps and irc channels and he always had the latest scene releases. One day an entire irc network he frequented was shut down.

And if that weren't bad enough, now YouTube is using "child protection" excuses to shut down any video on any channel. You can be fined $42,530 per video by the FTC if they deem that your upload somehow affects the privacy of children. The response? A lot of creators are now abandoning YouTube, because they don't know if their videos will get flagged by the FTC with some arbitrary, shadowy rule that can be applied to just about anything.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2019

@shillshocked said:

@Nekki said:

@shillshocked said:

You don't know what you're talking about. There were plenty of scene raids by the FBI shortly after 9/11. They blindly used the legislation for stuff not terrorism-related.

I’ve no issue with your suggestion the legislation was misused, but to suggest that the act was enacted around the time of, or has any relation to 9/11 is nonsense.

It was passed in ‘98 and enacted sometime before the end of ‘99.

• Really? Did they give you reason?

• @Rosalie said:
    Really? Did they give you reason?

Congrats on your first post

• @Nekki said:

@shillshocked said:

@Nekki said:

@shillshocked said:

I’ve no issue with your suggestion the legislation was misused, but to suggest that the act was enacted around the time of, or has any relation to 9/11 is nonsense.

Yeah but it wasn't really enforced until around that time. It's always the problem-reaction-solution format. They needed an excuse to crack down on things.

• @shillshocked said:

@Nekki said:

@shillshocked said:

@Nekki said:

@shillshocked said:

Yeah but it wasn't really enforced until around that time. It's always the problem-reaction-solution format. They needed an excuse to crack down on things.

It was enforced before then. The first case that went to trial was in early 2002, following an arrest made for violation of DCMA in July 2001, a few months before 9/11.

• No, but they really cracked down right after Patriot Act was legislated.

• Alright mate, whatever you say.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2019

Holy WSS, Katie is back!

She's back! There is a ray of hope.

• @deank said:
    Holy WSS, Katie is back!

She's back! There is a ray of hope.

Black Friday is near. Time to ramp up marketing.