Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the deal with Ikoula?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the deal with Ikoula?

They have some really awesome specials on right now, but if I want to get them, I'm going to have to give them a copy of my ID. Is this normal practice for renting a dedicated server?

Comments

• Yeah.

• Really? I've rented a semi-dedi before and never had this happen. Are there any otherwise good providers that have Ikoula-level deals that don't make that requirement?

• At this point I'm almost tempted to go Hetzner, even with their iffy TOS.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

It's normal.

• OK, so are there providers that don't push that requirement? Because that would highly influence my purchasing decisions, both now and in the future.

It's more a personal privacy issue. I have a pretty mundane blog news site, and am planning to start a business website. I just don't want to worry about my information being mishandled.

• @shillshocked said:
    At this point I'm almost tempted to go Hetzner, even with their iffy TOS.

They also might ask you for ID, just saying.

Hetzner will ask for ID as well.

If you are fine with driving while having its plate exposed, you should be fine with handing over ID.

Thanked by 2pike vimalware
  • shillshockedshillshocked Member
    edited November 2019

Yeah, I understand it's always possible. I've already given them personal details, address, etc., but if their site gets hacked, that ID could get into the wrong hands. I can cancel my credit card if it gets misused. ID is a much more personal issue. Keep in mind I wasn't asked for ID on application, but their phone verification system isn't working, or at least not in my country. So they said they would have to do a manual setup, and they require and ID for that. So apparently it's not a normal requirement for them, maybe they just flag certain countries?

The Internet was built with a degree of anonymity. We also have bitcoin, and other payment methods that can provide an extra layer of personal security. Wouldn't you want to rent from a provider that offered service with that in mind?

In France maybe it's not that big of an issue. But in other countries in the world, people are really concerned about it.

• So anyways, if anyone can list dedicated providers that offer reasonable prices (keeping LEB users in mind) and don't require an ID just to rent a server, post a reply.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Many of the big hosting providers ask you for your ID if it's the first order with them, once they have it then they don't really care after that.

OVH, Hetzner, DO and I think and even a few small ones have asked me for my ID. Hoping they then securely delete it, which I would think they would be doing.

Even if I ask customers for ID I will make sure it's verified and then securely deleted.

Thanked by 1shillshocked
    edited November 2019

None because they have to ask for ID.

The lower end you go, the more scammers trying to scam hosts. In short, they have to ask ID and filter out bad customers.

Though OVH never asked me for my ID since my IP address matched with my home address.

• It's not unusual for the larger corporate providers.

Don't fall for any nude picture requests though.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • shillshockedshillshocked Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks for the advice. If anyone can suggest a provider that doesn't have this requirement, or an offer, let me know. I'm looking for an i5, ryzen, or even an e5 depending on the deal. SSD is a must, NVME is a nice plus. Prefer 1 gbps and unmetered (or at least with a higher than average TB volume).

• they were probably surprised Jesus Christ placed an order

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Besides the problem about don't accept Brazilian customers?

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited November 2019

You can try:

[Direct Brand]
    vultr.com (Not sure?)
    linode.com (Not sure?)
    pacificrack.com (-QuadraNet.com, VPS may unstable)
    photonvps.com (-Psychz.net, Made in China, good choice)
    changeip.com (-SharkTech.net, Fake DDoS protection)
    chicagovps.net (-ColoCrossing.com, LET owner)

[Economical]
    hostus.us (Good service)
    virmach.com (Many ColoCrossing)
    buyvm.net (May cause ID check, see @Francisco below)
    anynode.net (May similiar with BuyVM)
    hostodo.com (May similiar with AnyNode)
    wishosting.com (Many OVH & Hetzner)
    hostdare.com (Asia optimized)
    bandwagonhost.com (No P0rn)

[European Hardy]
    hostsolutions.ro
    flokinet.is
    ginernet.com
    mikrovps.net

Thanked by 1shillshocked
  • @lowendclient said:

buyvm.net (Not sure? @Francisco Do you collect IDs?)

He sends nude towel pics.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

lowendclient said: buyvm.net (Not sure? @Francisco Do you collect IDs?)

Depends how you pay and if you trigger fraud checks.

Francisco

Thanked by 1lowendclient
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2019

Unreal, Kimsufi, SoYouStart, Scaleway - all dedis leased, with no ID. I don't order via a VPN and as above if your email matches your PayPal one (TLD) and/or you address is 'close' to being full, then you should be OK.
    I also get pissed off that some (domain) providers insist on a fully verifiable address for "virtual"/online services.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2019

@shillshocked said:
    They have some really awesome specials on right now, but if I want to get them, I'm going to have to give them a copy of my ID. Is this normal practice for renting a dedicated server?

Congrats on your first post since December 2014

(Yes, it's normal practice, especially in the case of a dedi. They shouldn't/won't keep the copy of your ID on file. It's for verification purposes only.)

Thanked by 1poisson
  • shillshocked said: Thanks for the advice. If anyone can suggest a provider that doesn't have this requirement, or an offer, let me know. I'm looking for an i5, ryzen, or even an e5 depending on the deal. SSD is a must, NVME is a nice plus. Prefer 1 gbps and unmetered (or at least with a higher than average TB volume).

Expect to have to provide ID anywhere.

As an aside however, I was once looking at an Ikoula dedi but didn't want to provide photo ID, they offered me phone verification instead, so if you speak to them that may be an option.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Nekki said:

shillshocked said: Thanks for the advice. If anyone can suggest a provider that doesn't have this requirement, or an offer, let me know. I'm looking for an i5, ryzen, or even an e5 depending on the deal. SSD is a must, NVME is a nice plus. Prefer 1 gbps and unmetered (or at least with a higher than average TB volume).

Expect to have to provide ID anywhere.

As an aside however, I was once looking at an Ikoula dedi but didn't want to provide photo ID, they offered me phone verification instead, so if you speak to them that may be an option.

Tried that, but as I mentioned it didn't work. Maybe they aren't compatible with all countries?

• @lowendclient said:
    You can try:

[Direct Brand]
    vultr.com (Not sure?)
    linode.com (Not sure?)
    pacificrack.com (-QuadraNet.com, VPS may unstable)
    photonvps.com (-Psychz.net, Made in China, good choice)
    changeip.com (-SharkTech.net, Fake DDoS protection)
    chicagovps.net (-ColoCrossing.com, LET owner)

[Economical]
    virmach.com (Many ColoCrossing)
    buyvm.net (May cause ID check, see @Francisco below)
    anynode.net (May similiar with BuyVM)
    hostodo.com (May similiar with AnyNode)
    wishosting.com (Many OVH & Hetzner)

[European Hardy]
    hostsolutions.ro
    flokinet.is
    ginernet.com
    mikrovps.net

I'm going through the big list right now. I found an NVME provider, which is interesting...

I will check out this list as well.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Unreal, Kimsufi, SoYouStart, Scaleway - all dedis leased, with no ID. I don't order via a VPN and as above if your email matches your PayPal one (TLD) and/or you address is 'close' to being full, then you should be OK.
    I also get pissed off that some (domain) providers insist on a fully verifiable address for "virtual"/online services.

Kimsufi & SoYouStart can ID on many occasions, no idea who Unreal is, and Scaleway is dumpster juice.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2019

^ lacking comprehension and Google skills?
    I was not giving anecdotal information, only facts.

• shillshocked said: Tried that, but as I mentioned it didn't work. Maybe they aren't compatible with all countries?

Assuming your signature implies what it does (the first word of the domain, at least), you're pretty much every single risk flag immediately. I'd expect additional verification even at places that don't normally ask for it.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

AlwaysSkint said: Unreal, Kimsufi, SoYouStart, Scaleway - all dedis leased, with no ID.

So far I think kimsufi has been the only supplier I've used who have asked for ID, so they do every now and then.

• Kimsufi have never asked me for ID, but they also "we manually check your payment" every single time I pay. From the same account and same payment account. For years.

Thanked by 2shillshocked Ympker
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Ikoula is fine, besides, there share the same things with non native english companies, that they sometimes just reply in french and you talked to them in english.

Thanked by 1shillshocked

The end is nigh.