Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any cheap VPS for VPN ? los angeles
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any cheap VPS for VPN ? los angeles

Hello

i m trying to get a vps to setup my own vpn server. trying to use it for kodi and torrent. can anyone give give me some hints where to look for one ? and how can i set it up ?

thx

micgo

Comments

• You can start by looking in Los Angeles. You can set it up.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

I would not suggest to torrent on a @HostDoc box

• Torrent on us server?
    Next one.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @uptime Shh.. let them follow that "guru" and then when the box gets suspended, we can eat our popcorn and watch the drama unfold.

Thanked by 2dahartigan vimalware
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@poisson well ... I'm expecting that's going to happen plenty anyway - the icing on the cake is being able to say "we told you so" :smiley:

@micgo - they will cut your nuts off! :scream:

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Is torrenting only related to copyrighted content? I didn't know @uptime

So, basically, if I get a VM from @HostDoc and seed Ubuntu or Debian and other things, they will outrightly suspend the VM saying, "Gotcha! you are using BitTorrent protocol!"

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • @poisson Still use Popcorn time, so dated.

• @manish

https://hostdoc.co.uk/acceptable-use-policy/

Read it and weep

I would assume no refunds if service is terminated due to abuse

Maybe I am wrong about some of this but ...

if in doubt, maybe better to check with the provider via a sales ticket rather than a public forum

and - if I might suggest, with all due respect: please try to study a bit more before making suggestions - the information is available and has been repeated in many threads already

Thanked by 2ITLabs dahartigan
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

manish said: Is torrenting only related to copyrighted content?

Of course not.
    But most likely yes, if it comes along with kodi and vpn.
    Well, except someone wants to hide his IP while watching Big Buck Bunny.

• @manish said:
    Is torrenting only related to copyrighted content? I didn't know @uptime

So, basically, if I get a VM from @HostDoc and seed Ubuntu or Debian and other things, they will outrightly suspend the VM saying, "Gotcha! you are using BitTorrent protocol!"

If you use a swap disk and run a torrent transmission, check the disk I/O. Torrent is not just bandwidth, check TCP sessions and disk I/O

• @manish said:
    @poisson Still use Popcorn time, so dated.

That's not a Man-ish reply; it's a CHILD-ish reply.

• dfroe said: But most likely yes, if it comes along with kodi and vpn.

So pessimist of you.

• isunbejo said: If you use a swap disk and run a torrent transmission, check the disk I/O. Torrent is not just bandwidth, check TCP sessions and disk I/O

And?

• @manish said:

isunbejo said: If you use a swap disk and run a torrent transmission, check the disk I/O. Torrent is not just bandwidth, check TCP sessions and disk I/O

And?

Gotcha! you are vm suspend ..

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • isunbejo said: Gotcha! you are vm suspend ..

Poor attempt. But ok, if you say so. :smile:

• @manish said:
    Is torrenting only related to copyrighted content? I didn't know @uptime

Boss,
    Seeding and leeching is bad for hard drive. One of the many reasons why providers don’t allow torrent.

Thanked by 2isunbejo dahartigan
  • seriesn said: Boss,

Seeding and leeching is bad for hard drive. One of the many reasons why providers don’t allow torrent.

Don't call me Boss, Sir. I am poor guy without a job. I see. Too many read/writes? So, the providers who allow it have supreme drives?

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited November 2019

manish said: Don't call me Boss, Sir. I am poor guy without a job. I see. Too many read/writes? So, the providers who allow it have supreme drives?

You are getting me wrong.
    If I care about my hardware, I will care about who is using it and how long it is sustainable.

If I don't, I will get tickets saying, my service bad, gimme me money or I tell everyone you scam me.

VPS servers are still normal hardwares. Try running torrent 24/7 on your home computer and see what happens to that poor computer.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • king8654king8654 Member
    edited November 2019

@manish said:

dfroe said: But most likely yes, if it comes along with kodi and vpn.

So pessimist of you.

Really? I love me some debrid streaming and torrenting but your naive enough to say their torrenting distros, ripping Non copyrighted video and streaming via kodi? Mm kay

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • hey @childish, maybe when you really become manish you will get a job.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @manish ... I see you have a lot of energy. It could be good energy - use it wisely :)

Thanked by 2ITLabs dahartigan
  • @uptime wisdom (usually) comes with age.

• @seriesn said:

manish said: Don't call me Boss, Sir. I am poor guy without a job. I see. Too many read/writes? So, the providers who allow it have supreme drives?

If I care about my hardware, I will care about who is using it and how long it is sustainable.

If I don't, I will get tickets saying, my service bad, gimme me money or I tell everyone you scam me.

VPS servers are still normal hardwares. Try running torrent 24/7 on your home computer and see what happens to that poor computer.

Just to be clear, what was your point? I buy my hardware to be used and be useful. I think you don't have much argument for a single user home computer (I can't remember when torrenting was last considered taxing on hardware I own, perhaps never? SSD's, large drives and broadband connections have been around for a while now), you should be making a point about how 100 users are using the server and NOT just a single user like at home.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

Just to be clear, what was your point? I buy my hardware to be used and be useful. I think you don't have much argument for a single user home computer (I can't remember when torrenting was last considered taxing on hardware I own, perhaps never? SSD's, large drives and broadband connections have been around for a while now), you should be making a point about how 100 users are using the server and NOT just a single user like at home.

I tried to make it simple. But you got the point :).

• @manish you probably mean well, but please don't recommend @hostdoc to someone seeking to use a server for torrents. Believe me when I say that it will end badly.

Also, FYI there are 0 locations in the US and A that are safe for torrents.

If you want to recommend torrent friendly providers you can choose from this complete list:

1. Hostsolutions.ro @cociu in Romania
    2. End.

Torrents are nasty IO and network hogs also. Particularly if you have multiple torrents downloading or seeding. Some providers, @hostdoc included will not bust you for torrents under the following conditions:

1. You don't attract DMCA notices (no copyrighted torrents)
    2. You don't thrash IO/network (set limits, don't seed, etc)
    3. You don't torrent 24/7 (refer point 2)

Follow these rules you'll have mad files to break up
    If not, in 8 hours on the wake up
    DMCA hit your inbox
    Watch your VPS shake up
    Provider sniffs half a cake up
    Gotta go, gotta go, more threads to shake up
    Word up.

• Even @cociu will not tolerate poorly configured torrent clients raping the disk. Most providers are probably ok with torrenting if no DMCA issues and no raping of the disk, but most clients do not torrent with these considerations in mind.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@ITLabs said:
    @uptime wisdom (usually) comes with age.

lol ... maybe? up to a point I guess.

Defintely a prertty steep learning curve up to the age of 7.

I have yet to fully appreciate all the wrinkles that might develop on the way to 70 though ...

(still have a few decades to go myself, the good lord and Emma Watson willing)

and there may be a lot to be said for life experience

but I do like to think sometimes that can happen sooner rather than later

@manish please do the needful to check yourself, maybe sometimes think twice and edit some of your comments, and generally just chillax a bit when you are shitposting here bro.

I mean - I ain't gonna tell you what to do ... just saying you could if you want to, and it might be a good thing if you did.

There is plenty of <3 to go around in this here hyper-terrestrial sphere of lowend lulz :)

• Curious, what is the reference to Emma Watson about?

I know about her recent coined term and generally admire her as a person, just not understanding the reference that's all.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@terrorgen - Emma Watson is the patron saint of Black Friday, according to the gospel of @Nekki

and no further explanation ever could, would, or should make any more sense

Thanked by 1dahartigan