Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyW - Shared and Reseller Lifetimes are back, last chance!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyW - Shared and Reseller Lifetimes are back, last chance!

Yesterday I received this email from MyW (#MikePT) with a new batch of lifetime offers. Since it encourages sharing and I couldn't find a thread by @MikePT, here it is:

Dear client,

We've been receiving numerous tickets in regards to Lifetime deals. We're still getting funds for the company to open a Coworking space in Portugal soon, so we've decided to create the following products:

Shared Promo (2GB) - Lifetime for 9.99€ - ORDER HERE
Reseller Entry (50GB) - Lifetime for 80€ - ORDER HERE
Reseller Advanced (100GB) - Lifetime for 160€ - ORDER HERE

These promotions apply to everyone. Feel free to share the links with your friends!

While the connection between coworking and shared web hosting is not entirely clear to me, the offers are tempting indeed. Locations are not specified, so I can only assume they're the same as those of the last offers, namely Falkenstein, Germany, EU (Hetzner) and Los Angeles, USA (Reliablesite).

Comments

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@simlev said:

While the connection between coworking and shared web hosting is not entirely clear

Maybe he was referring to colocating? I recall reading something to that effect in one of the discussions many eons ago. Unless @MikePT is planning to recreate a WoWork of sorts in Portugal.

• Go for it! Stable and Reliable!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@suricloud said:
    Go for it! Stable and Reliable!

Thank you! 😁 ❤️

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota

Cowork, shared working environment. Like splitting a very large office with dozens of other companies. Its something I want to do. I have been in a few and I loved the spirit there. However it does require a high investment. Takes time! 😁

Regarding the locations, should be available in LA and Germany. If not simply send us a ticket :)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2019

@MikePT said:
    Cowork, shared working environment. Like splitting a very large office with dozens of other companies. Its something I want to do. I have been in a few and I loved the spirit there. However it does require a high investment. Takes time! 😁

My experience has also been great in such shared working spaces. Great overall collaboration and nice people. Good talk also. Anyway, that was on Google Campus in Madrid but it basically was and is a co-working space ;)

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

@MikePT said:

Beta-i, best coworking in Lisbon. Especially on Friday nights ;-)

Edit: also Ideia Hub (Pq das Nacoes). The owner - Joao Simoes - is very friendly.

edited October 2019

@Ympker said:

@MikePT said:

My experience has also been great in such shared working spaces. Great overall collaboration and nice people. Good talk also. Anyway, that was on Google Campus in Madrid but it basically was and is a co-working space ;)

Yep. There are only two in Leiria and are far from the one I dream with. I enjoy working in such environment. Investment is considerably high but totally worth it!

@ITLabs said:

@MikePT said:

Beta-i, best coworking in Lisbon. Especially on Friday nights ;-)

Edit: also Ideia Hub (Pq das Nacoes). The owner - Joao Simoes - is very friendly.

Interesting.. Would love to pay a visit!

• @MikePT said:
    Its something I want to do. I have been in a few and I loved the spirit there. However it does require a high investment. Takes time! 😁

Would not recommend at all. But if that's what you want to do, would be happy to connect you to a couple of folks who own/operate chains of coworking spaces.

• bdlbdl Member

@MikePT - can these be merged with existing lifetimes that have been purchased during the past offer?

• Any way to increase the disk space on the 2GB Shared plan for more funds? Also, does this use MailChannels?

• @bdl said:
    @MikePT - can these be merged with existing lifetimes that have been purchased during the past offer?

@tester4 said:
    Any way to increase the disk space on the 2GB Shared plan for more funds? Also, does this use MailChannels?

That was possible on the last offer, so I assume it is for this one too.

As per MailChannels, they are currently using it, but not sure if it will continue after the price increase. A confirmation would be nice @MikePT

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited October 2019

I like @MikeET but the whole "last chance to get this offer" 3 times is kinda corny

• @SirFoxy said:
    I like @MikeET but the whole "last chance to get this offer" 3 times is kinda corny

this tbh

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited October 2019

Is this a marketing email or something that fits within it being a "required email".

We don't like SPAM either, but we might have something interesting and irresistible for you - Do you like to receive our Marketing emails?

I had explicitly opted out of marketing emails from MyW but received this email

@vyas11 said:

@MikePT said:
    Its something I want to do. I have been in a few and I loved the spirit there. However it does require a high investment. Takes time! 😁

Would not recommend at all. But if that's what you want to do, would be happy to connect you to a couple of folks who own/operate chains of coworking spaces.

Thanks mate, it works really well in my city though! :)

@bdl said:

Sure thing. It can.

@tester4 said:
    Any way to increase the disk space on the 2GB Shared plan for more funds? Also, does this use MailChannels?

It uses MailChannels, all our plans do. And yes, can be, open a ticket :)

@sanvit said:

@bdl said:

@tester4 said:

That was possible on the last offer, so I assume it is for this one too.

As per MailChannels, they are currently using it, but not sure if it will continue after the price increase. A confirmation would be nice @MikePT

We'll still use MailChannels absolutely!

@SirFoxy said:

We receive 2-3 tickets per day asking for Lifetimes, I get your point tho, and agree with it.

@Mic-hael said:
    Is this a marketing email or something that fits within it being a "required email".

We don't like SPAM either, but we might have something interesting and irresistible for you - Do you like to receive our Marketing emails?

I had explicitly opted out of marketing emails from MyW but received this email

My apologies, must have enabled the small checkbox to send it for everyone even those that opted. I'll pay more attention next time.

• I will not be able to sign up now due to hosting accounts already allocated to my clients' projects, hope you'll bring some offers for Black friday/Christmas/New Year so I can put some new clients on MyW.

• @SirFoxy said:

No one really knows for sure when their life will end.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

Cat's lifetime.3 times Lifetime offers posted. So 6 more times to go :-)

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited October 2019

There's one thing I don't understand: how is offering 'lifetime plans' on a dedicated (i.e. rented) server a good business plan? I mean, the expense for these servers will return every month. But the income of your customers is gone after one time. How long will these servers stay online?

I know that there are monthly/yearly plans as well, but this is the third or fourth time I hear about these lifetime plans.

And now I read that the income will be used as funding for a coworking place or did I understand this incorrect, @MikePT?

Sorry that I'm a bit sceptic, but it looks too good to be true.

• @debaser said:
    There's one thing I don't understand: how is offering 'lifetime plans' on a dedicated (i.e. rented) server a good business plan?

The Low End isn't about "good business plans".

I mean, the expense for these servers will return every month. But the income of your customers is gone after one time. How long will these servers stay online?

They'll be online for their lifetime.

• @donli said:

@debaser said:
    There's one thing I don't understand: how is offering 'lifetime plans' on a dedicated (i.e. rented) server a good business plan?

The Low End isn't about "good business plans".

Yeah, I know. I mean, I've been lurking here for a long time so I know how it works. But you've still got some kind of responsibility towards your customers.

• donlidonli Member
    edited October 2019

@debaser said:

Yeah, I know. I mean, I've been lurking here for a long time so I know how it works. But you've still got some kind of responsibility towards your customers.

Even well-meaning businesses fail. Consider all "lifetime deals" to be speculative,

I've partaken of several "lifetime" deals during my life. Some have ended some continue to this day.

When evaluating a "lifetime deal" determine how much you'd pay for a year, divide that into
    the "lifetime" price and decide whether it's realistic to think that service will still be around for that long and whether you'll still want their service then.

And no matter who your provider is, keep current off-provider backups.

@Sofia_K said:
    I will not be able to sign up now due to hosting accounts already allocated to my clients' projects, hope you'll bring some offers for Black friday/Christmas/New Year so I can put some new clients on MyW.

Definitely will offer something for BF, but won't be lifetime. :P

@vyas11 said:

Isn't it 7 lives? o.O

@debaser said:
    There's one thing I don't understand: how is offering 'lifetime plans' on a dedicated (i.e. rented) server a good business plan? I mean, the expense for these servers will return every month. But the income of your customers is gone after one time. How long will these servers stay online?

I know that there are monthly/yearly plans as well, but this is the third or fourth time I hear about these lifetime plans.

And now I read that the income will be used as funding for a coworking place or did I understand this incorrect, @MikePT?

Sorry that I'm a bit sceptic, but it looks too good to be true.

Good questions:

1 - MyW isn't our primary source of income. My work as SysAdmin is.

2 - We got a large client base from LET, but many that pay the regular prices (even without the 50% promo), especially, for MailChannels, given the fact that they really do need email reliability.

3 - We've sponsored a few projects that brought us many clients. E.g: Vost.pt. That's a community (a few hundred of volunteers) that work on providing information, non-misleading information for our people in Portugal. We sponsor them with Dedicated VM's and some other stuff. That of course brings some clients. Just an example.

BTW, since we're talking about sponsoring, we don't sponsor clans or guilds or whatever. We do sponsor Non Profit Organizations. All free of charge. If we can do it, we offer it.

4 - Coworking will get us a nice revenue, but that's just my dream - granted, some funds from MyW will help! :) We're still a very small company. Right now, all servers are paid for, we got a few Managed services clients, and we launched the Whitelabel Support. Portugal is a cheap country (regular salary, 600-700€, average), so we don't need much.
    You'd be wrong if you think I don't want to be rich though! But I don't think LET will get me rich, any time!

5 - The parent company, WNDP - WebNegócio Lda. VAT PT513782540 has been in the business for almost 4 years. It's been tough, not lying, but we've reached a level of stability to keep the boat floating just fine, without getting any sorts of debts/credits from the banks or investors. I'm the sole employee now, while Sara, my girlfriend, helps me with accounting and other stuff.

Do let me know if you have any questions!

@donli said:

@debaser said:

Even well-meaning businesses fail. Consider all "lifetime deals" to be speculative,

I've partaken of several "lifetime" deals during my life. Some have ended some continue to this day.

When evaluating a "lifetime deal" determine how much you'd pay for a year, divide that into
    the "lifetime" price and decide whether it's realistic to think that service will still be around for that long and whether you'll still want their service then.

And no matter who your provider is, keep current off-provider backups.

Lifetime for the life time of the company, of course. Wish there was anything lifetime!!! :P

• @MikePT said:

@Sofia_K said:
    I will not be able to sign up now due to hosting accounts already allocated to my clients' projects, hope you'll bring some offers for Black friday/Christmas/New Year so I can put some new clients on MyW.

Definitely will offer something for BF, but won't be lifetime. :P

@vyas11 said:

Isn't it 7 lives? o.O

Nein!

• @MikePT said:

>

Good questions:

>

Thanks Mike, appreciate your honesty!

@debaser said:

@MikePT said:

>

Good questions:

>

Thanks Mike, appreciate your honesty!

You are welcome! Any other questions simply ask! 👍

• @debaser said:

I suppose it's somewhat similar to getting a credit from a bank:
    You get more money upfront, but end up paying more than you have received until the end.
    The main difference being: with lifetime services, you end up offering them for as long as the company is in business. So it is a "burden", but for services that don't take too much time and resources, it can be handled - for some businesses, not for all.

With a good plan, and financial structure, I suppose it can work. Hell, I'm offering dozens of free hosting services - because it feels crappy asking friends and family for the money, which is really small on a per-account basis. Including paying for the domain renewals.

For a company - if it allows you to invest in what you need to grow, without any big costs for the first year, or even later - it can be a workable option.

From a client's perspective:
    You are practically betting X dollars on that the company will stay in business and keep offering good quality service.
    Another aspect is simply supporting a business you wish to support.

For me personally, the idea I won't have to think about another (monthly/yearly) bill is very nice - it's not just about the money, but the "forget about it" (as long as it works).

Though, it is risky - no guarantees. For hosting, I'd say the safest bet is paying from month to month, or at most yearly (if you've been happy with the company).

Another risk, with small ("one man show") companies is that one car accident (for example, knock on wood) could bring an unexpected end to it, or seriously disrupt it, even if it has been financially stable.

Now, since I'm convinced that that @MikePT is the emerging Jose Mourinho of web hosting, I'm seriously considering investing the value of my 2 days work (80 euros) into the company. Mike is a special one! :)