Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I monitor my server uptime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I monitor my server uptime

Hi, just got my first server setup, I want to make sure my server is always up and if it is not, I want to know ASAP!

I also would like to know, what can I do to make sure my server isn't getting hacked?

Thanked by 1dahartigan

Comments

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited September 2019

@Seemi6 said:
    Hi, just got my first server setup, I want to make sure my server is always up and if it is not, I want to know ASAP!

Hetrix Uptime Monitor

I also would like to know, what can I do to make sure my server isn't getting hacked?

Keep it disconnected from the Internet.

• As well as uptime, you can monitor system resource usage using the HetrixTools agent

Thanked by 2dahartigan HBAndrei
    1. uptimerobot, statuscake, pingdom

2. I also would like to know, what can I do to make sure my server isn't getting hacked? - no guarantee in the world of internet, people invented the net, computer and cables, so there's always someone can get into it.

Suggestions: use ssh keys, iptables, CSF, APF, BFD, UFW

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2019

@uptime

edit: @dahartigan ... This.

• ... was taking a nap, monitoring the insides of my eyelids

and dreaming of glorious hacks

who wants to know?

• @uptime said:
    ... was taking a nap, monitoring the insides of my eyelids

and dreaming of glorious hacks

who wants to know?

I'd like to know the hacks.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @uptime said:
    who wants to know?

@Seemi6 said:
    I want to know ASAP!

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @ITLabs said:

@Seemi6 said:
    I want to know ASAP!

Joined September 27

Welcome to LET. Who sent you? Who are you working for?

@Janevski said:
    I'd like to know the hacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_boot_attack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_potatoe_attack

• SkyNetHostingSkyNetHosting Member
    edited September 2019

we use https://hetrixtools.com/ as 3rd party monitoring tool in addition to icinga. You can use a wp site as a honeypot have the monitor set to monitor the page content + for works such as hack etc. so if that site gets hacked you get a immediate notification so from that you can see if there's any flow and you can patch the server.

In addition you need to be in a mailing list that let you know the latest security advisories eg. https://www.rack911labs.com/advisories/ or https://hostingseclist.com/

Also as some one suggested used ssh keys with root disabled.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited September 2019

HetrixTools and Uptime Robot. Combo of both does a pretty good job :)

Thanked by 2dahartigan HBAndrei
  • Open a ticket at LET support desk and @uptime will notify u in any downtime

• cybertech said: Open a ticket at LET support desk

Lulz ... @raindog308 your signature still points to a lie!

(I'm tempted to actually finagle a fix for it - somehow.)

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Would be an interesting attack vector. Take down php somehow so php files can be downloaded. Think config.php

Thanked by 1uptime
  • You don't care about the server uptime. You care about the service uptime.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You need to open a ticket with your host at LEAST every 6 hours to ask them if it is up and has it been hacked, its the only reliable way.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, for external => Statuscake, UptimeRobot or Bearmon, all free, no activity needed. You can also use Hetrixtools but that needs a confirmation every 30 days per email.

If you need resource monitoring, there is plenty enough software to run that, otherwise their is also Hetrixtools for the resource monitoring.

I use mostly Night-Sky for external and Cryptic-Sky for resource monitoring, selfmade, works fine for me.

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • @riot said:
    You don't care about the server uptime. You care about the service uptime.

What do you mean? Sorry I am
    not a native English speaker.

• @Seemi6 said:

@riot said:
    You don't care about the server uptime. You care about the service uptime.

What do you mean? Sorry I am
    not a native English speaker.

Whatever it is that you run on your server is what is important. Your server can be on and responding to pings, but your web/email/chat/shoe miner/whatever service can be frozen or stopped. Who cares if the operating system is up if the money maker has died? If the service is up, your server is up.

• Seemi6 said: Hi, just got my first server setup, I want to make sure my server is always up and if it is not, I want to know ASAP!

HetrixTools & UptimeRobot is good for the beginning. Both have a good status/report page, and some notice feature to inform You about the outages.
    In the future Check_Mk: https://checkmk.com (free version) is a good alternative if You have multiple servers and would like to host and manage your own monitoring solution (but it not for beginners).

Seemi6 said: I also would like to know, what can I do to make sure my server isn't getting hacked?

Keep it up to date Your OS/applications. Use a firewall, and other solutions to prevent the problems: CSF, Fail2Ban, Shorewall, OSSEC, Rkhunter, etc. You can found many tutorials on the internet for this solutions. Avoid to use the default ports (for example: SSH), etc on your server. Always keep backups from your configs and important data. Check Your IP address regularly on the popular blacklist databases (for example: HetrixTools have a blacklist checker service, and abuseipdb.com is good too, etc).

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • I use https://updown.io/ - simple and effective.

• So, PRTG, Negios, Zabbix are suitable to make monitoring how you need.

• For service monitoring, checkout icinga2. For realtime, try netdata. You can archive netdata into graphite for long term analysis.

For security, first make sure you get an offsite backup.
    Ensure that your websites are updated regularly. You are good for most cases.

There is no such thing as 100% security. It is just a lie.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

A.I do not recommend using hetrix if you are from India.

b. That's a lot of LET mindshare for some one who had one post, was in a hurry, took what they wanted and took off.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Ofcourse you can opt to pay for paid monitoring services or sign up with limited free versions.

I'm using a custom php script to monitor uptime that checks every minute and notifies me via telegram if my server is offline. I can choose to monitor individual ports as well as overall server. I'm still working on it to message me on the duration of last downtime.

In the mean time, if you want something similar, try: https://www.phpservermonitor.org/support/

Install on something that will be online 24/7 and it'll monitor your server.

• @vyas11 said:
    A.I do not recommend using hetrix if you are from India.

b. That's a lot of LET mindshare for some one who had one post, was in a hurry, took what they wanted and took off.

@Seemi6 (the OP) is long gone, there's little point in trying to engage him

By the way, why not Hetrix if one is from India? Just curious

• Netdata: no, just no.
    (ref. CWP blindly installing fiasco)

• @angstrom said:

By the way, why not Hetrix if one is from India? Just curious

Pm'ed you

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

You just sit in the DC and stare at it sir.

Thanked by 2ITLabs TimboJones