Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Error 522 on low and talk - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Error 522 on low and talk

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited September 2019

I clicked on a "thanks" button and got blocked, immediately. :)

Is DDOS attack more dangerous than DWindows attack?

• Haven't been able to access LET for days. Hope it has nothing to do with Dorian.

• @bikegremlin said:
    Is DDOS attack more dangerous than DWindows attack?

It would be nice if CC explained these things to us.

(For what it's worth, I've heard that DLinux attacks are the worst but they're very rare.)

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

LET's go on Reddit until LET is stable.

• @Radi said:

... ten years later...

• I can't connect from my home I.p.

Have to use mobile connection

Cloudflare is useless. Long live slowendtalk.com

Thanked by 2uptime bikegremlin
  • @Radi said:

Please dont use Reddit. Those masochistic chinese payed fucking ops who delete and ban every board which comes along. I prefer this place as it is. Long live the oldschool message boards :)

• I've been getting a "Banned/Rate limited" error by Cloudflare when trying to visit LET the past day or so.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It was like the LowEndApocalypse.

• Icons don't work for me on the home ip now, but the site is reachable.

Cloudfare is good at making things worse for sure.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Wow, I just had error 1015 again.

LET said:
    Error 1015
    You are being rate limited
    The owner of the website has temporarily banned you

(served by CloudF#%&!)

What evil things did I do?

• I logged in
    • I scanned through the thread list and clicked (new tab) some 5 or so threads I was interested in (just as I usually do since I'm here)
    • I looked at the first tab/thread and wanted to answer to someone - but I couldn't.
    • Smelling a rat I clicked through the other tabs. Only one other tab/thread had opened. The others showed the 1015

Is this a joke? I mean, opening a couple of threads is in no way evil or uncommon. It seems that some CC admin has gone way too far with rate limiting. Well noted, I can and do understand that an unnerved admin uses rate limiting after a DDOS attack, but those admins should also understand that LET doesn't lend itself well to rate limiting due to pretty much every page being (over?)loaded with images which means that with http 1.1 a perfectly normal page load will make dozens of requests for all the gadgets, scripts, avatar images, etc.

• LET becoming 522 daily fun..

• @TimboJones said:
    This is like finding out your nutritionist eats worse than you or your house cleaners house is way dirtier than your own place. Or the guys who make your backup software don't take backups themselves.

Or the dentist, can't fix his own teeth.

Thanked by 2TimboJones Ole_Juul
  • hanoihanoi Member
    edited September 2019

if LET need my $5 vps, i'm willing to donate. Otherwise I will keep holding F5 to DDOS.
    Come on guys, we are all sysassmin here, please post your postmortem. We have right to know.

Thanked by 2angelius willK
  • @hanoi said:
    Come on guys, we are all sysassmin here, please post your postmortem. We have right to know.

Isn't it obvious, with all the suspense, couldn't you figure out already that the culprit is, as usually, the butler!?

• jsg said: Wow, I just had error 1015 again.

Yup, shit is annoying as hell. I simply refreshed the page and got hit with that and then couldn't access LET for like 2 days (not to mention LET was slow as fuck for a week before that).

• @hanoi said:

Come on ... they didn't even realize that Low and Talk had been ddosed.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Guys,

Uptime is very important to us and I regret that the site experienced a prolonged period of reduced availability. We've gotten quite good over the years, and especially recently, at minimizing the downtime on the sites despite near constant attacks on its back end.

Here is a snip from our engineers about the specifics:

Beginning Thursday an attack of lowendtalk.com began. Beginning Friday morning support were working with Cloudflare to find the source of the attack and neutralize it. Over Saturday and Sunday we went back and forth with Cloudflare before ultimately deciding to use rate limiting to thwart the distributed attack. By Sunday night the fix was in place and the attack had been blocked thoroughly enough that the site was usable. The following Monday we began seeing reports that legitimate users were being blocked. Yesterday, we upped the threshold for a block and were still seeing legitimate users being blocked. Today the threshold was raised again.

Let me know if you have any questions.

As always, thanks guys

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

It seems more like DB server had issues than DDoS attack. Rate limit will reduce number of calls what single IP is doing. In case of large scale attack this is something that cannot help you. On minor localised attack DNS filtering can help. Looks like you are referring to L7 attack which you can kill with simple captcha challenge and cloudflare. As i saw browser check enabled which sometime triggers captcha this leads to conclusion that DB server had issues.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh said:
    ... I regret that the site experienced a prolonged period of reduced availability ...

Thanks for your post, sincerly. I value it because it nourishes hopes that LET actually means something, anything to you/the company.

But frankly, calling a massive multi-day virtually complete outage "reduced availability" seems to be a new peak in euphemisms. It's as if your mother were in a coma and you described that as her showing "reduced agility".

But again, after all the things I've read about you and the company I appreciate the fact that you wrote that post. Thanks.

Thanked by 3angelius YKM bugrakoc
  • @jbiloh said:
    Hi Guys,

Uptime is very important to us and I regret that the site experienced a prolonged period of reduced availability. We've gotten quite good over the years, and especially recently, at minimizing the downtime on the sites despite near constant attacks on its back end.

Beginning Thursday an attack of lowendtalk.com began. Beginning Friday morning support were working with Cloudflare to find the source of the attack and neutralize it. Over Saturday and Sunday we went back and forth with Cloudflare before ultimately deciding to use rate limiting to thwart the distributed attack. By Sunday night the fix was in place and the attack had been blocked thoroughly enough that the site was usable. The following Monday we began seeing reports that legitimate users were being blocked. Yesterday, we upped the threshold for a block and were still seeing legitimate users being blocked. Today the threshold was raised again.

As always, thanks guys

Nice, thanks for the update.

I always thought CF was pretty decent for DDoS protection, however, I guess it was a rather large attack?

• @jbiloh said:
    Hi Guys,

As always, thanks guys

LMAO I always thought Cloudflare is very good at defining attacks mitigating company guess I was wrong.

They could barely mitigate the attacks on a niche website god help u if its state sponsored attacks, cf is all talk. I'm a customer shame.

I guess my imperva and legacy pzeroshield is better less bullcrap :P

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2019

@mountainpup said:

@jbiloh said:
    Hi Guys,

As always, thanks guys

LMAO I always thought Cloudflare is very good at defining attacks mitigating company guess I was wrong.

They could barely mitigate the attacks on a niche website god help u if its state sponsored attacks, cf is all talk. I'm a customer shame.

I guess my imperva and legacy pzeroshield is better less bullcrap :P

The amount of dedication you get depends on ur cloudflare plan. If you pay 5k USD for enterprise, you can be sure its their first priority to tune the service for you.

Theyre actually really solid, when you have access to a rep and technical team instantly.

Thanked by 2hanoi vimalware
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited September 2019

It seems that "reduced availability" is (was) beginning to begin (began) again.

• @ITLabs said:

Yes, on my mobile network and home internet. Need a detox. Or a strong cup of coffee. Or a self ban from visiting LET till BF.

• welcome back 522. :neutral:

• @ITLabs said:

You must be a technical writer...

"Cable Management: Can be mounted and dismounted easily. So many holes can satisfy with your different position and type request."

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jsg said: It's as if your mother were in a coma and you described that as her showing "reduced agility".

fucking brilliant!

Thanked by 2jsg ITLabs
  • And here we go again... 522Talks.

Thanked by 1mrclown
  • today still 522.