Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best OS for vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The best OS for vps

can you suggest the best OS to be used?
now, I am using centos 6.4.. but many software doesnt exists in repo and I am forced to compiled it from source.. sometimes, the compiled software from source just get me into trouble..some functions may not works whatsoever..
most software make tutorial for ubuntu and debian.. are they really2 great?? why most of them wouldnt make tutorial for centos??
I am happy if the software exists in repo so I can install and reinstall easier..
can anyone suggest me the best OS?

Comments

• Ubuntu 12.04...very easy to install and uninstall

• Debian or Ubuntu

• @JerryHou said:
    Ubuntu 12.04...very easy to install and uninstall

is it the best version of ubuntu?
    I used them on my pc years back.. but never use on vps.

• @mcmyhost said:
    Debian or Ubuntu

debian?? I saw squeez or somehting for debian.. what they mean?? is it just a 'version'

• @psycholyzern said:
    debian?? I saw squeez or somehting for debian.. what they mean?? is it just a 'version'

squeeze is the previous version of debian. wheezy is the current stable version of debian. All my vpses are running debian. You cant run stuff like cpanel or solus off it, but most other software work on debian too.

• What software are you looking for? Have you tried other repos, e.g. elrepo?

• Adding additional repos fixes most of the issues.

• No best OS, just better OS

• I use Ubuntu, very easy to use

• @psycholyzern said:
    I used them on my pc years back.. but never use on vps.

12.04 is current LTE (Long Term Support) version. Caninical provides updates until 2016; however rolling realeases like 12.10, 13.04, and 13.10 has much shorter support term.
    Unless you want to update latest version of ubuntu every april or october, stick in LTE is better to manage.

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited November 2013

If using Debian, add Dotdeb repo. If using CentOS, add EPEL, REMI and RPMforge repo. I'm also add nginx, mariadb dan openvpn repo per requirement. That's what i do.

• @SMChoi said:
    Unless you want to update latest version of ubuntu every april or october, stick in LTE is better to manage.

He meant LTS! :)

• I found some software that looks like interesting to me.. when I want to try it, I have to compile from source on my centos.. it would take long time and hard to uninstall.. I like repo more.. maybe epel, remi, rpmforge have the software in repo but most of them outdated..
    I think, I would try ubuntu because most software I found, the latest version has been addedd to ubuntu repo..
    I never tried debian, only once on my LES just because they do not have centos..I would think twice before trying debian..

• @ravenchad said:

yah, LTE is 4G network right?? just wonder when the coverage will be widen to my location.. here just support 3.5G -_- unless using landline..hehehehhe

• @psycholyzern said:
    I found some software that looks like interesting to me.. when I want to try it, I have to compile from source on my centos.. it would take long time and hard to uninstall.. I like repo more.. maybe epel, remi, rpmforge have the software in repo but most of them outdated..
    I think, I would try ubuntu because most software I found, the latest version has been addedd to ubuntu repo..
    I never tried debian, only once on my LES just because they do not have centos..I would think twice before trying debian..

Yeah ubuntu or debian are better if you want access to many more apps. Centos like rhel are considered more enterprise software, so they don't have the latest and greatest stuff available because they consider you want to keep the operating system really secure and stable, since its used for more enterprise applications. Centos is really good for hosting customers, database servers, clusters etc., but as fare as a desktop or stuff like that - not so much...

• I love Debian 7, never saw a reason to use Ubuntu.

• @darknyan said:
    I love Debian 7, never saw a reason to use Ubuntu.

Prior to Debian 7 it made a lot of sense since Debian 6 was really behind. Ubuntu will once again be the stop gap for Debian 8 as time passes.

• Debian is great. In fact, I dont see too more tutorials in debian than centos

• centos 5.10

• Debian.

• Most stable... FreeBSD

• wow.. soo many people like debian more.. but....

@XLvps said:
    Most stable... FreeBSD

I never tried it..it's hard to find tutorial for it

• @psycholyzern

The handbook is really good...
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

otherwise there are a few other sites out there too...
    http://www.bsdguides.org

• @psycholyzern I start every Centos 6.4 server/vps with the following repos. Stable and newer stuff.

# yum update

64bit epel repo
    rpm -ivh http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm

32bit epel repo
    rpm -ivh  http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm

# yum install yum-priorities

edit epl priority to 10

2013-10-20 newer one
    32bit 
    # rpm -ivh  http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.i686.rpm
    64bit 
    # rpm -ivh  http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm

rpm -ivh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-6.rpm

remi
    enabled=1
    priority=10

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited November 2013

The best OS is the one you're comfortable with, is updated, and which does the job you want to do.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

@XLvps said:
    Most stable... FreeBSD

From what I heard FreeBSD is as outdated as it possibly can be

• @Frost said:

On the contrary, the code is quite mature. FreeBSD has a active small community and an awesome handbook.

• Debian is the best server OS, many people use it, so many developers include compatibility for it and some good applications are added to their repos. Although Cent OS isn't that far behind when it comes to server operating systems, I wonder what kind of stuff you are trying to install.

• I prefer CentOS 6 on my VPSes, and I run them with EPEL and RPMforge Repos added.

• @Frost said:

There is a ton of FreeBSD code in Apple's OS X, and apple contribute's back. Granted its not a large community but its still a pretty rock solid system, all the unix userland tools in OS X are basically FreeBSD, and some of the most popular firewalls pfSense, Monowall etc are based on it.

So no, its not necessarily beginner friendly, your not going to get a pretty GUI on install either, but its still a rock solid server or firewall.