Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

drServer.net ||| Dedicated Servers starting at $12/mo! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

drServer.net ||| Dedicated Servers starting at $12/mo!

13»

Comments

• Thanks, I'll try that and see if it helps

• Got the CPU passthrough and got 875MB/s on aes-xts (256) this time. Not great but usable. Their responses to ticket is very speedy. Overall, I'm a new happy customer now.

Thanked by 1Radi
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@jbuggie said:
    Got the CPU passthrough and got 875MB/s on aes-xts (256) this time. Not great but usable. Their responses to ticket is very speedy. Overall, I'm a new happy customer now.

I am really glad to hear that, thank you.

• @Radi think of all the customers who cancel when they dont get good AES performance and dont realize its because you dont enable cpu passthrough by default.

• Why do you need AES performance for an idling VPS... `

• Idling is a heavy task.

Thanked by 2plumberg vimalware
  • @jbuggie said:
    Got the CPU passthrough and got 875MB/s on aes-xts (256) this time. Not great but usable. Their responses to ticket is very speedy. Overall, I'm a new happy customer now.

Out of curiosity what is the the need for CPU passthrough? And the aes-xts encryption? Just trying to learn. Thanks

• @plumberg said:

@jbuggie said:

Out of curiosity what is the the need for CPU passthrough? And the aes-xts encryption? Just trying to learn. Thanks

aes-xts is used by dmcrypt (a linux tool) to setup full disk encryption. For me, full disk encryption is a must on any VPS. CPU passthrough allows dmcrypt to use the CPU's AES-NI instructions to speed it up.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @jbuggie said:

@plumberg said:

@jbuggie said:

aes-xts is used by dmcrypt (a linux tool) to setup full disk encryption. For me, full disk encryption is a must on any VPS. CPU passthrough allows dmcrypt to use the CPU's AES-NI instructions to speed it up.

Ahh. Never realized this would help boost performance. I too have some FDE setups. Will check and see if its enabled

Thanks

Thanked by 1vimalware