Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New DirectAdmin retail license structure - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New DirectAdmin retail license structure

124»

Comments

• @jaypeesmith said:
    So, when it says X number of domains, are subdomains counted against this total? In other words, would a server containing example.com and subdomain.example.com count as 1 or 2 of the total number allowed?

I haven't used DirectAdmin in quite some time so, excuse my lack of knowledge on this.

Using the subdomain feature, unlimited subdomains. But if you add a subdomain as a traditional domain (e.g. so it has it's own e-mail control, SSL control, etc.) then it counts towards the limit.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@Advicerxyz said:
    have you said on forum you will remain the Owned and yearly?

No, the official statement posted at the forum says that (for new accounts):

We ultimately decided against the "Owned" license, which is a permanently activated license at $299 with one year of updates, and then $99/year after that. First, it's not a true lifetime license -- it's just a yearly license with a high upfront fee. Second, industry security experts have asked us to reconsider this offering because it encourages saving money by staying with older, potentially vulnerable software that becomes a risk to the server itself and other servers on the net. I apologize for this -- we were trying to introduce a hybrid/transitional product from the $299 lifetime but now I realize it should of been dropped just the same as our datacenter lifetime licenses, so we can move onto a more sustainable product type.

For existing accounts that license type will be phased out within 60 days.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @ITLabs thanks for adding the clarity. Admittedly that's an edit to the original announcement, but anyone fully reading the announcement would see that the ability to order legacy products relies on 2 things. Not just being an existing customer, but also subject to throttling limitations. The idea was to allow regular-ordering customers some time to adjust (e.g. datacenters that offer DA to their customers).

It wasn't so people could load up on an unsustainable, dirt-cheap product and stick their tongue out at new customers who had no ability to do the same.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@DA_Mark said:
    It wasn't so people could load up on an unsustainable, dirt-cheap product and stick their tongue out at new customers who had no ability to do the same.

Yep, it makes total sense!

Personally, I don't like lifetime license models. I understand that it may be necessary in some stages of a business, but eventually support and updates will cost more. If you expect that the client will not need your ongoing support and updates, then a lifetime license may be a good idea.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    @raindog308 First full exposure, hardware, firmware, kernel, scripting, sysadmin and emulation AT&T SVR4.2 on NCR with first iteration of RAID5. One week's training in NCR, Edinburgh office, for starters. A little bit of exposure prior to that but other systems and *nix variants subsequent to it.

I once met a woman who worked on multi million dollar IBM mainframes in the 90's. Her teenage daughter had more real world experience than her.

• @SirFoxy said:

@agentmishra said:

@Harambe said:
    @agentmishra the site mentions all licenses work for VPS or dedicated servers (no price difference), unless you're asking something else? Not quite sure on the question.

that was exactly the question

i feel (not all may feel so), that the vps pricing should be different from those of the dedicated pricing

not sure if this makes sense, but to me it surely is...

When I first came to LET, I didn't know this wasn't FAT32(I never saw before). So I thought, "ugly people don't really know they are ugly".

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2019

@TimboJones said:
    I once met ..

That I can believe (and saw similar, 1st hand) but your analogy doesn't work in this case, I can assure you. It is naive and foolish to think "they work in IT so must know everything encompassing IT".
    BTW, does one not wonder why WHM has different tiers of updates to chose from and why you'd be crazy to base your live server on the Edge release. Why is there a differentiation between RHEL/CentOS/Fedora? This is the stable/mature angle that I elude to and I don't tend to spell things out.
    Meanwhile DA pricing appears to be in a slight state of flux. ;)

• @ITLabs said:

@DA_Mark said:

Personally, I don't like lifetime license models. I understand that it may be necessary in some stages of a business, but eventually support and updates will cost more. If you expect that the client will not need your ongoing support and updates, then a lifetime license may be a good idea.

I love such models - when you do it with a business that remains in business and with a good service. You pay once and don't have to think about it any more.

Though it is risky - since such licenses usually cost 2, or 3 yearly ones, you are practically betting on that the business will remain good.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • LeviLevi Member

@bikegremlin said:

@ITLabs said:

@DA_Mark said:

I love such models - when you do it with a business that remains in business and with a good service. You pay once and don't have to think about it any more.

Though it is risky - since such licenses usually cost 2, or 3 yearly ones, you are practically betting on that the business will remain good.

From business perspective paying less today is better than paying more. Because today 1 USD is worth more than it will be worth in 2 years.

• @LTniger said:

@bikegremlin said:

@ITLabs said:

@DA_Mark said:

From business perspective paying less today is better than paying more. Because today 1 USD is worth more than it will be worth in 2 years.

I understand and agree. If you weigh it all (not sure of the English terms, but capital as in goods/equipment/buildings..., then funds as in "money" etc...) - it can all be taken into account. Then decide whether an investment (that takes paying more now) is worth the risk and the potential long term savings, without putting a business at risk, or to a halt.

• I have a customer who has two domains he needs a control panel . I will manage his server . Is personal license good enough?

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@Oldmanasking said:
    I have a customer who has two domains he needs a control panel . I will manage his server . Is personal license good enough?

Personal license can only be used by one account. As you've mentioned that customer needs a panel and that you will be the server administrator, it is very likely that two accounts will be needed.

Edit: note that there are providers offering free DA licenses to be used with their VPS and dedis, such as BuyVM.

Thanked by 1smaart
  • Edit: note that there are providers offering free DA licenses to be used with their VPS and dedis, such as BuyVM.

That's because they buy the Internal Licenses very cheap, which of course will change after the license migration.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@desmond said:

Edit: note that there are providers offering free DA licenses to be used with their VPS and dedis, such as BuyVM.

That's because they buy the Internal Licenses very cheap, which of course will change after the license migration.

No, it won't.

We'll continue offering DirectAdmin, Blesta, and Softaculous, free of charge for all customers.

No matter the plan they're on.

Francisco

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@desmond said:

I don't think it'll change because I'm fairly sure BuyVM, Clouvider, and others who are offering free licenses have some special partner bulk licensing dealio where it covers the whole data center/all of their IP ranges.

Thanked by 2vimalware ITLabs