Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New DirectAdmin retail license structure - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New DirectAdmin retail license structure

Comments

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@Lee said:
    DA is a panel with a lot of features, it's mature and so on..

Last night's cron update:

ERROR!
    You probably have to install the development version of the Python package
    for your distribution. The exact name of this package varies among them.

A mature product doesn't look to utilise development packages; that is shite.

Where did you get this error? It does not even seem to come from DirectAdmin, unless it’s a 3rd party plugin, like CloudLinux Python selector.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@AlwaysSkint said:

@Lee said:

ERROR!

Nuh, "dev" packages typically are just headers or (parts of) source and similar. That does not mean that they are for developers only. For you as an end user a package is just a package, no matter whether -dev or not.

But there are some things I don't like in that list of preinstall requirements. At the same time I have to commend the DA people for not simply installing those during their installation process. The way they do it, the user is at least confronted with that list and can think about it.

My personal feeling is that DA requires a damn lot, too much for my taste for basically just a clicky clicky GUI and some gadgets. That said and looking at other panels the DA people obviously at least seriously tried to do it properly.

But that cron message is weird and ugly. That shouldn't happen because the Python -dev package normally is only used during building an app, so once you've installed DA the system shouldn't complain about a missing python -dev package. Could it be that you removed that package once DA was installed? Because if you did and then ran an update DA might want to rebuild parts of itself and would fail due to the missing -dev package.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@LTniger said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@Lee said:

ERROR!

Whaaat? Can you explain how *-dev usage imply immature product and impose any kind of bad practice?

-devel are for dev purpose not for production

when you make a product, you make rpms etc, which uses the devel package than on the production you do not use devel

just a quick note: i am not against DA

Thanked by 2DA_Mark AlwaysSkint
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@ITLabs said:
    @AlwaysSkint have you pre-installed all the required packages?

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=354

a mature cpanel installs all the required packages, it never asked "me" to install the required packages...

@agentmishra said:
    -devel are for dev purpose not for production

when you make a product, you make rpms etc, which uses the devel package than on the production you do not use devel

just a quick note: i am not against DA

In theory. In real life there are updates which in the given case (Python modules written in C) need to be recompiled because some libraries or even the kernel version may have changed.

To avoid that DA would need to provide binaries of their modules for all supported OS, distros and versions which not only is unreasonable but also is error prone and against the open source mindset.

That said that cron error message still is ugly and weird.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

Wow... Very happy with this. This pricing looks good.

• Sorry guys, this grumpy old b'stard needs a timeout. Been a bad patch, nothing serious.

That said that cron error message still is ugly and weird.

I'll investigate where it's coming from.

Thanked by 2ITLabs DA_Mark
  • And when you use a rpm package you have to supply all the packages that were on the maintainers machine. Extra overhead you don't have to supply when you compile the program to fit your machine.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

ERROR!

That's not a DA-generated error. DirectAdmin doesn't ever touch python... was this a yum update cron? Would be nice to have more info on what the call was.

At any rate, DA definitely has no requirement for python, so it's most likely something else on the OS..

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited August 2019

Regarding pre-install dependencies.. our setup script asks this, as one of the very first (yes/no) questions.. It literally asks if you would like the script to do this for you.

Thanked by 2ITLabs vpsjungle
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DA_Mark said:
    Regarding pre-install dependencies.. our setup script asks this, as one of the very first (yes/no) questions.. It literally asks if you would like the script to do this for you.

The install script isn't happy when Perl isn't installed though :)

On my CentOS 7 minimal templates they don't ship with perl (because fuck Perl) so it gets all grumpy.

Francisco

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @Francisco said:

@DA_Mark said:

The install script isn't happy when Perl isn't installed though :)

On my CentOS 7 minimal templates they don't ship with perl (because fuck Perl) so it gets all grumpy.

Francisco

Ahh.. fair 'nuff. You called me on that one. perl does need to be there.

@Francisco said:
    ... because fuck Perl ...

Well put. And sensible.

Being at that, I recently compiled openlitespeed and they strongly suggest to use perl 5.26 (and not e.g. 5.28) because the build process is flaky with other perl versions. In other words: perl is a joke and a bad one.

Thanked by 2vimalware lazyt
  • @jsg said:

@Francisco said:
    ... because fuck Perl ...

Well put. And sensible.

Being at that, I recently compiled openlitespeed and they strongly suggest to use perl 5.26 (and not e.g. 5.28) because the build process is flaky with other perl versions. In other words: perl is a joke and a bad one.

Perl has had its day. I was always surprised Nick at cPanel held onto Perl for so long, it must reduced the hiring pool significantly, but I'm more surprised to learn DA is written in Perl or is this just the install script?

• DilstarDilstar Member
    edited August 2019

almost it is 40$ monthly for DA with Cloud linux each vps / server, it is not costly too ?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2019

For completeness.. (notice poor formatting). At this point I don't wish to comment further.

/etc/cron.daily/custombuild:

[1mUpdating nghttp2(B[m
    Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/nghttp2-1.39.2.tar.gz
    Extracting /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/nghttp2-1.39.2.tar.gz...
    Configuring nghttp2-1.39.2

checking consistency of all components of python development environment... no
    configure: WARNING:
    Could not link test program to Python. Maybe the main Python library has been
    installed in some non-standard library path. If so, pass it to configure,
    via the LDFLAGS environment variable.

Example: ./configure LDFLAGS="-L/usr/non-standard-path/python/lib"

ERROR!

@jsg said:
    To avoid that DA would need to provide binaries of their modules for all supported OS, distros and versions which not only is unreasonable but also is error prone and against the open source mindset.

Not applicable to DA, when it is a purchased package.

• @Dilstar said:
    almost it is 40$ monthly for DA with Cloud linux each vps / server, it is not costly too ?

Have a nice day,
    If your provider is a DA Partner, you can obtain licenses at very affordable rates.

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2019

^ SEO is strong with this one

Thanked by 1lazyt
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2019

moderncloudhosting said: Have a nice day,
    If your provider is a DA Partner, you can obtain licenses at very affordable rates.

Fuck off with the spam now.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@moderncloudhosting said:

@Dilstar said:

Have a nice day,

can you gfy with your stupid unrelated postings?

Thanked by 1lazyt

@AlwaysSkint said:

@jsg said:

Not applicable to DA, when it is a purchased package.

It's not only about the application but also about where it's installed. Sorry for my clumsy wording.

As for the quoted error messages I guess we should wait for (and expect) a statement from @DA_Mark.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • nghttp2 has python binding. Last I knew it wasn't completely bound.

• @Lee said:

moderncloudhosting said: Have a nice day,

Fuck off with the spam now.

@FR_Michael said:

@moderncloudhosting said:

@Dilstar said:

Have a nice day,

can you gfy with your stupid unrelated postings?

Have a nice day,
    We think that we are writing about the subject and content. The new license structure yes, but the partners are different and we wanted to provide information on this issue. We wanted to give you the information. We don't have a purpose like spam.

• We, like in: We, His Majesty?

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited August 2019

AlwaysSkint said: A mature product doesn't look to utilise development packages; that is shite.

AlwaysSkint said: That's all Greek to me.

And then...

AlwaysSkint said: Having had decades of *nix usage

I don't think so.

fpmagic said: Perl has had its day. I was always surprised Nick at cPanel held onto Perl for so long, it must reduced the hiring pool significantly, but I'm more surprised to learn DA is written in Perl or is this just the install script?

Not sure why you think it's "had it's day". It's still widely used in sysadmin contexts. For applications, sure, python et al. have taken over, but perl is still quite popular and is even going through a bit of a renaissance with the "modern perl" movement.

• @raindog308 First full exposure, hardware, firmware, kernel, scripting, sysadmin and emulation AT&T SVR4.2 on NCR with first iteration of RAID5. One week's training in NCR, Edinburgh office, for starters. A little bit of exposure prior to that but other systems and *nix variants subsequent to it.

• cmpecmpe Member

What was the pricing before?

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@cmpe said:
    What was the pricing before?

Monthly license (now called regular) was $29 (unchanged). Yearly $200 and life-time $299.

Thanked by 1cmpe
  • @DA_Mark said:

have you said on forum you will remain the Owned and yearly?

• So, when it says X number of domains, are subdomains counted against this total? In other words, would a server containing example.com and subdomain.example.com count as 1 or 2 of the total number allowed?

I haven't used DirectAdmin in quite some time so, excuse my lack of knowledge on this.