Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion on Hypervisor to use on baremetal server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion on Hypervisor to use on baremetal server

klassbondklassbond Member
edited August 2019 in Help

Hi guys am new here and also beginning my journey to server virtualisation.

I have a baremetal server with this spec.

Hardware-Data of the server
CPU/Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1270v3
CPU-Count: 1
CPU-Cores per CPU: 4
Logical Cores per CPU: 8
64Bit-Support CPU: yes
Virtualization-Support: yes
RAM: 32768 MB DDR3-RAM
HDD: 2 x 500 GB SSD
Hardware-RAID: no
Hardware-RAID level: no

Network data of the server
Network card 1
Speed: 1 Gbps
Network card 2

This server is for personal use and hosting a few personal client I manage and provide website services for.

Am thinking of going with Proxmox VE for type 1 Hypervisor simply because I can run KVM VPS as well as Linux containers. Am learning all things docker and kubernetes so I want option to be able to run ontainers side by side full KVM VPS.

Another option I was think was running Container Linux (CoreOS) on the baremetal.

What are you using and has worked for you? I would appreciate hearing your opinion, advice or recommendation as I would like to learn from your experiences.

Thank you

Comments

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

Hi @klassbond

What are you using and has worked for you?

I use Proxmox VE for multiple Host, I can highly recommend it to you. It has its quirks but i is quite easy to use, there is a nice GUI but you also can manage it over the console.
    And if you want you can get paid support ;)

Thanked by 1klassbond
  • +1 for Proxmox

Stable, Allow simple and advanced setups, upgradable, I got 3 which was upgraded to 4 then to 5 and when 5

Works as intended

• @ruben said:
    Hi @klassbond

What are you using and has worked for you?

I use Proxmox VE for multiple Host, I can highly recommend it to you. It has its quirks but i is quite easy to use, there is a nice GUI but you also can manage it over the console.
    And if you want you can get paid support ;)

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I Wil give it a go. How usable is it as In running VMs and Containers side by side on the same bare metal host? Do you know if I am better off for the containers (docker, kubernetes) to run it on one VM inside the baremetal server?

• @coolice said:
    +1 for Proxmox

Stable, Allow simple and advanced setups, upgradable, I got 3 which was upgraded to 4 then to 5 and when 5

Works as intended

That's good to hear. So upgrading wasn't too much pain without losing current set up? Of course I will backup before upgrading when it comes to that

• +1 For Proxmox VE.

• @klassbond said:

@coolice said:
    +1 for Proxmox

Works as intended

That's good to hear. So upgrading wasn't too much pain without losing current set up? Of course I will backup before upgrading when it comes to that

Yes it is just changing the Debian distribution name in the repos and running apt update
    apt dist-upgrade

how ever for new install you will get 6 (Debian 10 Buster based) which mean that 3 years you will only do apt update and apt upgrade

If your server will be installed from your datacenter template and they got only 5 at the current moment as 6 is only couple of weeks old ... you can install 5 and try the upgrade process 1st hand :) proxmox write it to
    write it to look complicated it is not just change the repos apt cons https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0

Replace stretch with buster disable enterprise repo

run

apt update
    apt dist-upgrade

when process start there is some question... I answer, No to samba , Yes to auto restart services
    Yes to overwrite all services configs (except to sshd config) and by careful if it ask you grub question ... and reboot and cross fingers :)

Thanked by 1klassbond
  • @klassbond said:

Network card 1
    Network card 2

This server is for personal use and hosting a few personal client I manage and provide website services for.

Am thinking of going with Proxmox VE for type 1 Hypervisor simply because I can run KVM VPS as well as Linux containers. Am learning all things docker and kubernetes so I want option to be able to run ontainers side by side full KVM VPS.

Another option I was think was running Container Linux (CoreOS) on the baremetal.

What are you using and has worked for you? I would appreciate hearing your opinion, advice or recommendation as I would like to learn from your experiences.

Thank you

You might need to mention what you have for IPv4 addresses to know your setup and limitations.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I've used proxmox a lot but am currently looking into openstack - although not got far enough with it to comment properly.

I should add I'm not experimenting with openstack due to problems with proxmox, it works fine and is easy to setup/use.

klassbond said: How usable is it as In running VMs and Containers side by side on the same bare metal host? Do you know if I am better off for the containers (docker, kubernetes) to run it on one VM inside the baremetal server?

For security reasons, I would always run docker/kubernetes in a separate KVM VM and not directly on the VM host.

Thanked by 1AlyssaD
  • @TimboJones said:

@klassbond said:

Network card 1
    Network card 2

Thank you

You might need to mention what you have for IPv4 addresses to know your setup and limitations.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response. I have 20 IPv4 addresses, Can you elaboroate on what you by
    ** need to mention what you have for IPv4 addresses?**

Thanks

• klassbondklassbond Member
    edited August 2019

@ruben said:

klassbond said: How usable is it as In running VMs and Containers side by side on the same bare metal host? Do you know if I am better off for the containers (docker, kubernetes) to run it on one VM inside the baremetal server?

For security reasons, I would always run docker/kubernetes in a separate KVM VM and not directly on the VM host.

Thank you, good idea as i am planning this from a Privacy By Design approach.

KVM VM2 running Nested VMs (VMs inside VM2)

Why? Why running VMs in a VM if you already have a Hypervisor on the Dedicated Server? It will hurt the performance of the nested VM and won't necessarily increase Privacy..

• Proxmox, Vmware..

Run kubernetes / Docker instances in there own KVM / VMs.

• @ruben said:

KVM VM2 running Nested VMs (VMs inside VM2)

Why? Why running VMs in a VM if you already have a Hypervisor on the Dedicated Server? It will hurt the performance of the nested VM and won't necessarily increase Privacy..

Yes I already re evaluated that statement. Thanks.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2019

Proxmox works. LXC are a blast for low-resource overhead if all containers are "yours". Would never recommend containers for buying as "VPS" from a provider, but if it's all your stuff within one server, they are pleasant to work with. Create/clone/start/stop/destroy are super quick, and barely any RAM is used for launching one more.

I still don't like that it uses (and I guess relies on) systemd, but I guess it should be possible to not have to dabble a lot in the host system, only use the actual guests, so I don't have to touch it (much).

Thanked by 1klassbond
  • @ruben @coolice it's decided Proxmox will do for me.

I have one other question. Do you have experience or encounter using Virtualizor for auto provisioning and Billing VM resources running in Proxmox?

I ask because I have 5 private clients I do bespoke Web projects for and ideally want to host VMs for them should my list continue growing. Virtualizor seems to have BLESTA/WHCM billing VM AutoProvisioning as well as integrated billing (in beta).

Thanks

• @klassbond said:

@TimboJones said:

@klassbond said:

Network card 1
    Network card 2

Thank you

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response. I have 20 IPv4 addresses, Can you elaboroate on what you by
    ** need to mention what you have for IPv4 addresses?**

Thanks

You're good. I've seen people with a single IPv4 and they had to resort to port forwarding and IPv6.

• @klassbond said:
    @ruben @coolice it's decided Proxmox will do for me.

I have one other question. Do you have experience or encounter using Virtualizor for auto provisioning and Billing VM resources running in Proxmox?

I ask because I have 5 private clients I do bespoke Web projects for and ideally want to host VMs for them should my list continue growing. Virtualizor seems to have BLESTA/WHCM billing VM AutoProvisioning as well as integrated billing (in beta).

Thanks

Never tired them together on theory it shoud work but if you plan to host couple of private clients why do not host them in LXC it super light and has templates so it save you the 10-15 minutes ISO install

• reliablevps_usreliablevps_us Member, Patron Provider

+1 for Proxmox
    A platform you can simply rely on.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    Thanked by 1BharatB
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@klassbond said:

@ruben said:

Thank you, good idea as i am planning this from a Privacy By Design approach.

Pardon me but NO. Pretty much all those container systems have serious problems and add vulnerabilities rather than security or privacy.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@klassbond We have a budding product, https://hypervisor.io/ If you'd like I'll provide full support including installation + configuration. This is a KVM only platform for now with hourly billing support. If you're interested let me know.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @BharatB said:
    @klassbond We have a budding product, https://hypervisor.io/ If you'd like I'll provide full support including installation + configuration. This is a KVM only platform for now with hourly billing support. If you're interested let me know.

That product will be better if it also supports Debian 10 (for the 5.0 kernel support)

• I'm using Proxmox on my personal Home server. Running a Kunernetes cluster with 1 master and 2 nodes (3VMs spinned using Proxmox). No issues so far

• @coolice said:

I Never tired them together on theory it shoud work but if you plan to host couple of private clients why do not host them in LXC it super light and has templates so it save you the 10-15 minutes ISO install

I will give it a go

• @jsg said:
    Pardon me but NO. Pretty much all those container systems have serious problems and add vulnerabilities rather than security or privacy.

OK so what is better option out there? Not is 100% secure put I would like to know some of the flaws you have spotted and suggestions of what alternative you have in mind. This is still all research for me and am reviewing all options and looking at other alternative.

I stumbled upon SmartOS yesterday and reading up on the hpervior capabilities

• @BharatB said:

Thank you. At this moment I am only looking at opensource solutions.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@klassbond said:
    OK so what is better option out there? Not is 100% secure put I would like to know some of the flaws you have spotted and suggestions of what alternative you have in mind. This is still all research for me and am reviewing all options and looking at other alternative.

I stumbled upon SmartOS yesterday and reading up on the hpervior capabilities

Sorry, but to list all the problems known with containers is too troublesome, so I'll summarize what I've learned so far: The are designed and coded poorly. Some developers have opened up about their situation.

Alternatives? Don't use them, simple.

As for SmartOS, I do like Solaris but at the end of the day you'll end up with KVM again, but with an OS whose community is very very small compared to Linux. Not exactly the smart choice for someone who is new to the field.

There are other options, too e.g. the hypervisors of some of the BSDs and of course the "security" hypervisors, but again with very small communities compared to Linux, and the few secure hypervisors that can be taken seriously typically require quite a bit of additional experience and know-how and are certainly not the smart choice for a beginner.

TL;DR Put some efforts into choosing the right Linux distro for you and go with KVM.

My second advice is to stay away from pre-packaged "easy to use" solutions with a GUI. Reason: Typically those come with many choices already made - some of which will later turn out to be different from what you would like.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Try XenServer. As @drserver can tell you, it offers best resource isolation. Also if you don't need to give your client's management access, your GUI is a neat Windows program - XenCenter.

Thanked by 1klassbond
  • @Radi said:
    ..your GUI is a neat Windows program - XenCenter.

Sod that! Bye bye any sense of security. :-|