Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100TB authentication needs to send my photo, Is the request reasonable? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100TB authentication needs to send my photo, Is the request reasonable?

2»

Comments

• ID card is quite useless if you can't compare card owner's (holder) face to the picture on the card. Just like when you show physically your ID card to someone.

• @MGarbis said:
    ID card is quite useless if you can't compare card owner's (holder) face to the picture on the card. Just like when you show physically your ID card to someone.

There's a KYC (know your client) service called Civic that does exactly that programmatically. It asks you to take a picture of your ID and then take a video of you rotating your head. Unfortunately, they do store the pictures of clients indefinitely.

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • Thank you all, please the administrator to close the theme.

• I have successfully ordered a server from 100T (COM).

• @AnthonySmith said:
    What country are you from ?

United States

Did you order via a proxy ?

NO never do anything like that.

Is your IP geolocated in your home town if you look it up on ip2location ?

Yes it does.

Did you use your real name and address?

I always do and have, had no problems until Hetzner. This is why I do not and will not have any services with Hetzner. If you can not trust me and my reputation, then why should I trust you with my data and personal information?

• @AuroraZ

I always do and have, had no problems until Hetzner. This is why I do not and will not have any services with Hetzner. If you can not trust me and my reputation, then why should I trust you with my data and personal information?

Likewise. They asked me for a photo ID, or twenty euros for express setup.
    It was a Friday evening, I decided to wait over the weekend, by Monday I had found alternatives.

• vyas11 said: Likewise. They asked me for a photo ID, or twenty euros for express setup.

It was a Friday evening, I decided to wait over the weekend, by Monday I had found alternatives.

Yeah that whole $20 thing turned me off as well. I may decide to spend nothing on servers, but for the right to have a chance I need to pay you? WTF is that, I don't even pay to get into clubs, why would I pay you anything if you have not provided any services?

Eh What ever they can do as they will. Katie is still cool and I won't hold it against her for what her employer does.

• Just put a water mark saying for verification of 100tb so it won't be used for another reason.

• @local said:

What country has such a rule? Please tell me thank you.

Singapore has this rule while buying SIM cards online. Haven't heard of this from hosting companies before through.

@yokowasis said:
    Just put a water mark saying for verification of 100tb so it won't be used for another reason.

Just dont put the water mark on your face or the ID. They must be clearly visible.

• this is all because common payment methods are reversible in nature. more providers should take bitcoin so they don't have to police their customers like this.

the sad part is that customers are being conditioned to accept this level of intrusion.

• No, this is not a reasonable request.
    At least not if you are not doing anything of questionable legality.

From my perspective this is not that different from me visiting a shop.
    Would you find reasonable for the shop owner to demand copies of your documents? I would not.
    If I'm to buy alcohol or guns, that's what I would call a legitimate reason for such request, but I'm not going to hand over my documents over a cookie.

Personally, I would take my money elsewhere.

• maybe the provider haven't try about using private key number access, even though it secret key can keep on the mail, but actually where you accessed come from on daily it can be traced.

• I usually see this request from online bank card application.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

psb777 said: First, there are many use cases that you don't actually trust the provider with any of your data (e.g., a private VPN).

Bad example. A VPN is exactly the sort of thing where the provider gets access to all of your data.

somik said: Just dont put the water mark on your face or the ID. They must be clearly visible.

The point is to put the watermark over the important parts. That prevents misuse.

• I don't think this is a reasonable request unless you do something with banking, loans, but for hosting? Come on.

I remember reliablesite wanting a scanned copy of my credit card front + back with the security code displayed. I then canceled my order as I found this unreasonable as well. Most providers only require the front of the card.

• @MrRadic I'm curious too, why would you require CCV code from the back of the credit card? The last time someone asked me that was some shady runescape gold selling site, who intended to go into shopping free with my card.

I would personally have no issues inputing that code into a third party payment gateway, but sending that info directly to a hosting provider? Not even OVH or Hetzner asks that info.

• psb777psb777 Member
    edited August 2019

@joepie91 said:

psb777 said: First, there are many use cases that you don't actually trust the provider with any of your data (e.g., a private VPN).

Bad example. A VPN is exactly the sort of thing where the provider gets access to all of your data.

True, but I don't really care. Thanks to the ubiquitous presence of TLS, most of the data that providers have access to can't be deciphered, while the cleartext traffic and metadata are not very useful or sensitive.

Speaking of KYC, just hours ago, hundreds of photos of IDs and people holding them were leaked on a public Telegram group, which has been closed by now.

• psb777 said: Speaking of KYC, just hours ago, hundreds of photos of IDs and people holding them were leaked on a public Telegram group, which has been closed by now.

Yeah: https://www.coindesk.com/binance-kyc-issue

If you do this expect the data to become public at some point in time.