Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100TB authentication needs to send my photo, Is the request reasonable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100TB authentication needs to send my photo, Is the request reasonable?

100TB (COM) original mail:

Thank you for sending in verification. As the last step of our verification process, we will require that you send in a photo of you holding your photo ID. We will need to be able to see both your face and your photo ID in the same picture. This will show us that the photo ID is in your possession. Once we have received this, we will check it and proceed with the order.

Before that, I have sent a message to him:
1, ID card photo front and back.
2, bill proof information

Finally, I suspect that he might cheat user data? What country has such a rule? Please tell me thank you.

Comments

• This is quite common on things like bitcoin exchanges and sometimes banking apps.
    Don't see it so much with hosting.

If you don't need the service, you don't need to do it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Quite a few providers actually request this, they're preventing a lot of bad people from abusing their shit this way, that want to use their network from outgoing ddos attacks, botnets, open mail relays and such.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What country are you from ?

Did you order via a proxy ?

Is your IP geolocated in your home town if you look it up on ip2location ?

Did you use your real name and address?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2019

What country does protect 100% business from scammers? The topic is pointless, if you don’t like their verification process and don’t trust with your ID, why do you trust to hold your data on their hardware or network? As at the end of the day you need their service and they don’t force you to sign up!

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2019

A picture (ID) is worth a thousand words 100TB 20 TB
    Edit: see comment from local below.

• @vyas11 said:
    A picture (ID) is worth a thousand words 100 TB

you are so creative dude ;D

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @WebProject said:
    What country does protect 100% business from scammers? The topic is pointless, if you don’t like their verification process and don’t trust with your ID, why do you trust to hold your data on their hardware or network? As at the end of the day you need their service and they don’t force you to sign up!

Thank you, I am just curious what kind of country will do this? Will a similar situation occur in the Americas or Europe?

• @AnthonySmith said:

That is for sure, I am not doing illegal projects.

I just feel cheap

• locallocal Member
    edited August 2019

@vyas11 said:
    A picture (ID) is worth a thousand words 100 TB

No, they only offer 20TB. It’s been 2019 now.

Homepage introduction:

100TB was founded in 2008 as 10TB(com) - at the time, nobody thought it was possible to offer 10TB of monthly bandwidth with every server we sold. But we delivered on our promise.

• locallocal Member
    edited August 2019

In March 2010, 100TB(com) was launched - we started offering 100TB of monthly bandwidth with all our servers. Nobody believed we could do this either, but we upgraded all of our existing customers for free and changed the high bandwidth market. We delivered again.

• ehabehab Member

i won't say a thing until you upload your photo here...... NOW

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Evading questions... is never a good sign.

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • @deank said:

You mean end is not nigh this time?

• @deank said:

ok

@vyas11 said:

Given OP's history, he is past the end.

• @deank said:

@vyas11 said:

Given OP's history, he is past the end.

No, I haven't started yet.

• If they did not let you know you have to send your photo before you start the first step of the whole verification process, then I think it was not reasonable.

• @try4lontalk said:
    If they did not let you know you have to send your photo before you start the first step of the whole verification process, then I think it was not reasonable.

Okay.

• tetechtetech Member
    edited August 2019

@AnthonySmith said:

local said: Okay

Answer the questions, don't just say 'okay'.

• @tetech said:

@AnthonySmith said:

CN
    NO
    YES
    YES

The end is local.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

That's quite common practice. What I personally find really troublesome is that (most, it seems) such providers do not assure in a legally binding way that those data will be deleted immediately after verification.

Thanked by 3ITLabs tetech coreflux
  • locallocal Member
    edited August 2019

@jsg said:
    That's quite common practice. What I personally find really troublesome is that (most, it seems) such providers do not assure in a legally binding way that those data will be deleted immediately after verification.

You are right, the information was submitted for a few hours. I am still available for download in the "Support Ticket". They don't seem to have deleted at all.

• @deank said:
    The end is local.

if not start then return end;

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @local You've already sent your ID and proof of address. Sending a photo holding your ID won't make much difference regarding your data protection. If you're not comfortable just request that your data be deleted as @jsg said and move on.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @ITLabs said:
    @local You've already sent your ID and proof of address. Sending a photo holding your ID won't make much difference regarding your data protection. If you're not comfortable just request that your data be deleted as @jsg said and move on.

ok

• WebProject said: don’t trust with your ID, why do you trust to hold your data on their hardware or network?

This is a faulty argument. First, there are many use cases that you don't actually trust the provider with any of your data (e.g., a private VPN). Second, trusting them with your name and address is one thing, but a picture of you holding your ID is quite another. As jsg has pointed out, there's absolutely no way for the client to verify the photo's deleted after verification. There are black markets where those photos are sold or publicly leaked, many seemingly from data breaches and some from inside job.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • Fairly common among the big players

• Common practice at times. The picture of a person holding the ID is just a check to verify that you haven't bought or stolen someone's information.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@local said:

@tetech said:

@AnthonySmith said:

CN
    NO
    YES
    YES

No offence, But clients from CN has very bad history/reputation of abusing hosting resources.
    Maybe that's the reason they asked for more strict verification.

But still we have many clients from CN
    And even some of them are with us for many years mow