Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1and1/IONOS? Never, ever make a payment to this th*eves.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1and1/IONOS? Never, ever make a payment to this th*eves.

flyingatmflyingatm Member
edited August 2019 in General

Hello guys, I tried to buy a VPS service from IONOS aka 1and1 but... I will send full text with IONOS supporter. Everything explained here.

///////////////////Customer
Hello and sorry for my bad grammer. Like 4 hours ago I bought a VPS service from IONOS and paid 5$ to a $2 service. ( VPS L Package, first month 2$ ). By the way, problem is not that.

After paid 5 bucks to IONOS, I was waiting for my VPS details to connect via SSH.

But I got this e-mail: Dear Egemen XXXX (Customer ID: XXXXX),

It appears that you currently have an overdue balance with 1&1 IONOS. To resolve this matter, please complete the following steps:

etc...

from Security Team. Then I contact to a live supporter which is doing the same now. And the supporter said that:

"You worked with 1and1 4 years ago. You have another account. Because of that, your service is blocked."

Then I checked my old account. I saw I was bought a domain 4 years ago in in time it's dropped because I did'nt renew it.

I said, so? What's the problem? By the way we could'nt fix my problem and supporter told me to send a mail to [email protected]. And I did. I explained everything as I explained here with my Customer ID.

But I'm still waiting for 4 hours.

It's really hard to understand. I paid for a service and IONOS not giving it to me. Please fix my problem or I will move this problem to reddit, stackexchange, hostadvise and to all other hosting/servering review authority.

I'm a web dev. And this thing really made my day... Customer ID: XXXXXXXXXX It's been four hours, but there's still no solution.

///////////////////1&1 IONOS Expert
Thanks for letting us know about your concern. No worries I'll be more than happy to help you. Before we proceed, can I have your first and last name please?

Sure, Egemen Gursoy

Thank you Egemen. Let me go ahead and check your account first.

Sure thing

As checked here, you have an unpaid balance on your other account hence the reason the package is not yet active.

Sir it's really hard to understand, As I can see from my old gmail I only bought 2 domains like 4 years ago from 1and1. What kind of unpaid balance? Domains are simple, you pay for it and they gives it to you for 1 year. If you don't renew it, it expires. And drops.

The unpaid balance is under your other account XXXX.

Yes, I know it because prev. supporter told me that. [email protected]

It is for your domains inematris.com and XXXXX.net.

and this is e-mail adress. Yes, So you mean I was owe to 1and1? For buying domains?

You were not able pay or the 2 domain names. Yes, you were not able pay for the 2 domain names.

Wait, If I was'nt able to pay how the hack I got these domains 4 years ago? Sir, are you reading your words? You are saying I'm owe to 1and all this time because I bought domains from 1and1? :) Then how they gave these domains to me? If I wasn't able to pay? this is ridiculous sir, we need to fix this problem.

Give me a moment to further check this matter.

///////////////////Custome
r I don't remember what's happaned 4 years ago with 1and1, I got over 100+ domain on my hand. %90 of them from my customers. And I had bad exp. with 1and1 before I remember that. And I never bought domain from there cause of a problem that I don't remember. But I'm 100% no one gave me free domain. :) I mean, no one gives you free domain. If I had these domains from 1and1, I already paid for them. 1and1 never made "BUY FREE NOW PAY X MONTHS LATER!" sale. Sure sir, I'm waiting.

///////////////////1&1 IONOS
Expert As checked here, you purchased the domains XXX.com and XXX.net way back January 2015. The domain was set to renew on the next year which is January 2016. However, we did not receive any payment from your account hence the reason this account has an outstanding balance. The domains are not free, you did purchased the domains.

Then, I'm not owe you. Because I did'nt renew it. I have so many projects on my hand. So many ideas, buying domains for them and sometimes websites does'nt goes well and shut them down like I did to XXX.com/net. You mean I bought them, but my auto payment was ON. And 1 year later, I did'nt renew them. Because of them, I'm locked. Sir, then I'm not owe to anyone. No one gave me anything for free. I'm a man hates to owe someone,something. Please, fix my problem. I don'nt wanna locked out because of a problem kinda ridiculous. And sorry for my bad language again, as i said before; english is not my main language. I hope my words are clear to understand.

Just a moment, please. I am looking for additional information.

Sure thing

Thank you for your patience. Is the email address [email protected] is still active ?

I mean, I bought two domain 4 years ago. And I did'nt renew them. Because of that I'm not able to get my service. It's so... Yes, I can connect to my gmail. Yes, I already open my mail box in [email protected]. So I'm able to connect my gmail.

Okay give me more minute.

Sure thing

I will resend the invoice from your other account.

I'm waiting, and what I should do with this invoice?

Can you please provide me the invoice # and the amount of the invoice.

Billing period starting: 01/06/2016 Invoice Summary (1&1 Instant Domain)

Item Service Charges Usage Total 1 Basic Fee $0.00 per year 12 mo. $ 0.00 01/06/2016-01/06/2017 2 .com Domain $14.99 per year 12 mo. $ 14.99 01/06/2016-01/06/2017 xxxxx.com 3 .net Domain $14.99 per year 12 mo. $ 14.99 01/ INVOICE : XXXXXXXXX

///////////////////&1 IONOS Expert
Thank you. I will process to escalate this case to our billing department if it is possibly removed the billing locked on your account.

So I need to wait from now on?

///////////////////1&1 IONOS Expert However, I cannot guarantee you if this request will be granted. Yes, you will received an email from our Billing department regarding this issue.

Sir, this is not about the money. 3 bucks 5 bucks, problem is not that. Problem is I'm paying for a service but I'm not getting it. This feels stupid. I hope you can understand me. I suggest to IONOS to hire better web devs. So they can make code that "check db -> if this phone number has on another account before -> if this account got unpaid balance -> die(); So everyone can be more much happy.

Our security team will not activate your contract unless the issue of your other account will be settled It would be best if you contact our billing department to discuss this matter clearly. I can provide you their contact information. Please let me know.

But I'm repeating that, this is a big shame. Everyone can buy a domain and dont't renews it. This is my right. I never signed a paper that says " I WILL USE THOSE DOMAINS FOREVER, I WILL RENEW THEM FOREVER". People buys domain and forgets them. This is happens all the time. I bought 2 domains and didn't renew them, what a shame! Please give it to me.

US Support Phone Number: US: +1 (877) 300-8316 Worldwide: 816-621-4795

OOoooh, god sake. I wanna type. I as said before I'm not good at English that much. I can't talk. I will just Iııııh, ıııııh.

Sir it doesn't matter if you're not good at English but this matter needs to be discussed clearly.

Then I wanna type. I can make it clearly on the keyboard too. As I can explain thing here. Or you can call your security member and explains things for me. This is how support works, I'm wrong? There is nothing to be clear. This is sooooooo simple. I paid for a service -> my bank pulled the amount from my card 2X!!!!! -> 1and1 told me you can't have it because you did'nt renew your domain 4 years ago ( lmao ) this is that simple. IONOS is not giving my already paid service. :) We are not programming a php-sql code with 5 left-join tables. It's really hard to get it. I'm right here. I'm the right one here. Because there is payment and there is not a service. Because I did'nt renew my domain 4 years ago. And I didn't signed a paper that said I will renew them. IONOS trying make him self discredit to ppl. 3-5 bucks its okay to me. But when I move this stupid problem to network 10.000+ will see this and IONOS gonna lose more then 3-5 bucks. That's the part I can't understand. No one(!) can blame for not renewing my domains.

Sir as 1&1 IONOS Policy we cannot activate a newly order if there is an unsettled balance/issue connected on your account.

Sir, I'm trying to say; a company can not do it or can not make it unsettled because of un-renewed services. I know you got my problem and you are now I'm right. Idk how many ppl coming to this chat and talking shitty about 1and. And 100% sure %50 of them saying I will move to the web. But you are my supporter, I'm your customer. I wanna use my paid service. Because I paid for this. You are still saying "un settled balance on your other account" but I'm saying, what balance? I bought 2 domains for 1 year. Paid for them. Used them. I did'nt want to renew them and I didn't renew So Am I guilty because I didn't renew them? So 1and1 saying, " if you wanna use my products you need to renew everyhing!! "

Sir, you have the option to turn off the auto-renewal for the domains. However when you receive the invoice for the month of Janaury 2016 it mean the auto-renewal of the domain was not disabled it is still enabled.

Sir, this is 1and1 thing I guess. Because every other company in the world works like this -> auto renew enabled? -> is this the payment day? -> pull from the card. ? failed -> try again. ? failed -> stop the service and sorry you service is stopped. But in 1and1 you are being owe to 1and :) I uses virtual cards for my domains. Because I can't know how many or when the company pull from my card. I created a vcard, bought 2 domains. Could'nt make a good project with these domains. I forgat about them. Then switched for other projects. I uses virtual cards for my domains. Because I can't know how many or when the company pull from my card. I created a vcard, bought 2 domains. Could'nt make a good project with these domains. I forgat about them. Then switched for other projects. I worked with Contabo, OWH, Dijital Ocean, Aruba, Stinger I'm working with them for over 15+ years. I renews, I don't renews it does'nt their job. If I didn't renews them this is my lost. Not theirs. but 1and1 saying " you had a open auto-pay and we could'nt get the amount 1 year later! you are guilty! bam!" even kids laughs So what now? You re saying "our team said that we are not able give service till your other account unblocked" so what? I need to pay 30$ for 2 domains again? Even if I don't wanna use them? So I'm not able to get service from IONOS anymore?

You can get services from 1&1 IONOS if you will settle the unpaid balance of the account.

So you mean I need to pay $ 29.98 to use IONOS.

Yes, as this amount is the outstanding balance from your other account.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha By the way, I hope you know I'm right. But I guess you are not able to say/do anything. You know this is stupid. Your company saying to me "you got 2 domains 4 years ago. you didn't renew them, but if you wanna use my products after 4 years. You need to make that renew." I hope so many people will laugh on this. Then I want my money back You guys are thinking like "3-5 bucks man, just do it. Don't give it to him. No one goes mad for 3-5 bucks..." I goes.

Please wait for an answer from the 1&1 IONOS expert.

I guess chat history explains everything.

DO NOT USE THEM!

Have a nice day! :)

Comments

• So you didn't pay renewal fees, which ended up in unpaid balance, and somehow that is their problem?

Also - hide the domains, the account numbers, etc.

Thanked by 2Akaike bikegremlin
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2019

OP dug his own grave.

While I wouldn't call OP a thief, he has issues.

• t0ny0 said: So you didn't pay renewal fees, which ended up in unpaid balance, and somehow that is their problem?

OFC. the world goes that way :blush:

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

Joined 11:26PM

(not that there's anything wrong with that)

Thanks for this wonderfully educational post @flyIngatm

And welcome to LET - I am almost certain that you are going to have an incredible time here!

EDIT2:

If you would be so kind as to please tell us some more about what exactly transpired in your interactions - there are a few details that are not quite clear to me at this point. Such as your credit card number, expiration date, and CVV code ... Thanks!

EDIT3:

flyingatm said: Have a nice day! :)

Thanks! I'll be sure to have the nicest day ever! You should have a nice day too! :smiley:

Thanked by 1Falzo
    edited August 2019

Chances are that OP may already have several accounts but simply have forgotten that they exist.

Selective memory syndrome (AKA never-my-fault) is a wonderful thing.

Thanked by 1bjo
  • @t0ny0

I can buy a domain 4 years ago. And I can forget to renew it or I may not want this. This is my problem. You buy domain, they gives you. Done. If I did'nt renew it, it drops and my domain service goes down. But a company not able to fix it for 12 hours and saying to me "you need renew those domains that you bought 4 years ago." Hell yeah.

Ofc this is theirs problem. I paid for a service and I'm not able to use it.

@deank

No, not several accounts. Atleast for IONOS this is my first account ever. But there was a account on 1and1 4 years ago. I bought 2 domains from 1and1 and in time I totally forgot about this domains. And I did'nt renew.

• @uptime yes, I just joined to lowendtalk because I could'nt find my old mail adress that I joined here 10 years ago.

And If you need educational post, I can do it in time about about php and sql.

And thank you for your attention :)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

flyingatm said: I can buy a domain 4 years ago. And I can forget to renew it or I may not want this. This is my problem. You buy domain, they gives you. Done. If I did'nt renew it, it drops and my domain service goes down. But a company not able to fix it for 12 hours and saying to me "you need renew those domains that you bought 4 years ago." Hell yeah.

While that may indeed be your preference for the billing to be handled that way, it is not a universal truth that it absolutely should work that way. A billing strategy that makes you happy also upsets another customer who prefers it the way they do it, I guarantee you that. This in itself is not necessarily an unfair billing practice, even though unfair billing practices are something they are known for.

Thanked by 2uptime Falzo
  • Can we have the complete version of the messages? Something gets lost when you concatenate.

• @OP you really love PHP and SQL don't you lol

• flyingatmflyingatm Member
    edited August 2019

@level6
    this is the full text.

Well, I guess after years lowendtalk became something else. I just wanted to share my exp. about 1and1 & IONOS.

They are not able fix an easy problem like that. Also they pulled 5$ from my card for a 2$ service. (1-2-2-1).

I don't have to remember my 4 years ago payments. If 1and1 has a policy like that then they need to add a algorthim to their payment system that checks for customer's other accounts. Or they must expire balances after X days.

As I said before, I don't have to remember my years years ago payments. And I'm not unfair one here. People buys domains and forgets. I don't have to know 1and1 and IONOS exact same companies. I don't have to check if I have another account on 1and1. But I have to have a service that I already paid for.

Thanked by 1level6
  • Thanks for clarifying lol!

Just because you forget, that does not excuse you from contracts or commitments.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2019

@deank said:
    Just because you forget, that does not excuse you from contracts or commitments.

Technically in the end of billing period, the contract and commitment is also end. The client has the ability to choose whether to renew the contract or not. The same as provider who change the price at the end of the billing period..

As op said, I never see in any provider that force you to always and must renew your domain / contract. The auto renew domain is not an excuse, every domain provider has it. But when the client can't pay, the contract end, and rendered null and void.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • For what it is,
    Most of the hosting and domain business is prepaid. You pay, before you use. You don’t pay, you don’t get to use it.

Very simple logic.

By that same logic, the term outstanding invoice shouldn’t exist on cancelled service. Because well, prepaid customers don’t get to use their service unless it’s paid for.

Unless of course , in the situation where customer had grace period or their service was extended (not suspended or anything) for additional time, in those instance , I can see pro-rated charges being applied and might have outstanding balance because of that arrangement.

Source : Mamas Basement Law Farm.

Thanked by 2ITLabs mustafamw3
  • HxxxHxxx Member

I didnt read the whole thing since is very broad but this is how universally domain registration works:
    You Pay->It gets registered.
    You Pay ->It gets renewed.
    You dont pay->it doesnt get registered and no outstanding balance should be left open since registrations only occur when a customer pay.
    You dont pay-> it doesnt get renewed and not outstanding balance should be left open since renewals only occur when a customer pay.

Saying to a customer that it has an outstanding balance for a service that didnt occurred is wrong.

That said. 1&1 is trash, run away from that place.

• Forget it @flyingatm, run. 1&1 is trash.

• Hotel 1&1

On a dark desert internet, cool wind in my hair
    Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
    Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
    My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
    I had to stop for a VPS.
    There she stood in the doorway;
    I heard the mission bell
    And I was thinking to myself
    'This could be heaven or this could be Hell'
    Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
    There were voices down the corridor,
    I thought I heard them say
    Welcome to 1&1
    Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
    Such a lovely face.
    Plenty of room at 1&1
    Any time of year (any time of year) you can find it here
    Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
    She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends
    How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat
    Some dance to remember, some dance to forget
    So I called up the Captain,
    'Please bring me my domain'
    He said, 'we haven't had that domain here since nineteen sixty-nine'
    And still those voices are calling from far away,
    Wake you up in the middle of the night
    Just to hear them say"
    Welcome to 1&1
    Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
    Such a lovely face.
    They livin' it up at 1&1
    What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise), bring your alibis
    Mirrors on the ceiling,
    The pink champagne on ice
    And she said, 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
    And in the master's chambers,
    They gathered for the feast
    They stab it with their steely knives,
    But they just can't kill the beast
    Last thing I remember, I was
    Running for the door
    I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
    'Relax' said the night man,
    'We are programmed to receive.
    You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!
    '

Thanked by 3ITLabs uptime eingress
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, I have domains at IONOS, transfered out multiple times without delay.
    Also some VPS machines, no issues.

People and their issues.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Can’t believe you had xxx.com xxx.net registered and let them lapse.

• failhostingsfailhostings Member
    edited August 2019

That happens when you turn auto renewal on and you dont have enough funds.Basically you caused them loss.> @Nekki said:

pretty sure thats just censoring of the domains he should have been rich if he owned xxx.com

• Must have been crappy domains if they are still available four years later

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@failhostings said:

pretty sure thats just censoring of the domains he should have been reach if he owned xxx.com

You think?

• @Nekki said:

@failhostings said:

pretty sure thats just censoring of the domains he should have been reach if he owned xxx.com

You think?

yes

• @failhostings said:
    That happens when you turn auto renewal on and you dont have enough funds.Basically you caused them loss.> @Nekki said:

pretty sure thats just censoring of the domains he should have been rich if he owned xxx.com

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2019

In all of the domain providers, if a domain is not paid, it gets into a quarantine state for some days while on the same time is stops resolving to an ip.
    As per ICANN rules:

When you register a domain name, it's yours for the period of time you registered, which is typically between one and 10 years. If you want to keep using it, including all of the services associated with it (like a website or email service), you have to renew it with your registrar before it expires. If you don't, you risk losing it for a short time or possibly for good.

Some registrars will keep the domain if the client don't pay not to let it sink in 6 months for a new register. But that doesn't mean the client that let it sink has any obligation to buy it.

seriesn said: the term outstanding invoice shouldn’t exist on cancelled service. Because well, prepaid customers don’t get to use their service unless it’s paid for. Unless of course , in the situation where customer had grace period or their service was extended (not suspended or anything) for additional time, in those instance , I can see pro-rated charges being applied and might have outstanding balance because of that arrangement.

This. When talking about a server, the provider can claim that he gives a grace period, or asks with contract for a cancellation notice xx days before due date (e.g. to calculate how many idle vps will have and acting accordingly, because servers do have cost like power, colo, ips etc.).
    When talking on a domain, this simply does not apply. There cannot be a contract (and of course, there is not any in 1&1 TOS) that gives the obligation to the client to cancel the service before due date or else he is ibligated to pay for it.
    After all, 1&1 did not pay a cent to ICANN for renewing the domain. The only thing they can do is charging a fee for renewal during the grace period.

deank said: Just because you forget, that does not excuse you from contracts or commitments.

What contract? This is not a vps or a dedi that the provider has a contract with commitment to cancel it before the end period. 1&1 has to follow ICANN rules. There cannot be any kind of contract or commitment when talking of a domain renewal. If the owner renew, he will continue to have access to it. If he doesn't, he will just lose it.
    Autorenew is just a handy way for a client not to lose his services if he forgets the due date. If there are no funds in there, in a domain, there is not even a single minute of waiting period for the client to pay any overdue payment.
    1&1 send an invoice for what? A service that OP did not renew? That's forbidden per ICANN practices. A client owns a domain only and after he pays for it. Registration is automatic to both registrars and ICANN. You pay, you have it. Then, you get the paid invoice. You cannot receive an invoice for a domain that you let it sink. Period.

deank said: OP dug his own grave. While I wouldn't call OP a thief, he has issues.
    deank said: Selective memory syndrome (AKA never-my-fault) is a wonderful thing.

While most of the times your comments are amusing (after all and before the end, you created a great LET slogan), some times you attack and insult members without a valid reason or a reason at all. I also have my days and my temper. But saying that he has issues on this, is poor...

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2019

deank said: OP dug his own grave.

And to prove you wrong and unfair, those are the TOS rules from ionos web site:

6. Renewal

6.1To ensure your domains are not lost 1&1operate a positive renewal system on all 1&1 Internet domains. Your domain will be automatically renewed one day prior to its expirydate and once renewed an invoice will be raised on your account. 1&1will send a notification via email to the Registrant email address 30 days and then 7 days prior to the expiry date. If a domain is not renewed by the expiry date, 1&1will send an expiry notification to the Registrant email address.
    6.2If 1&1are unable to collect the required payment for the registration or renewal of any domain name, 1&1will either cancel or delete the domain name. For gTLDs,1&1will place the domain into its redemption grace period. In order to recover a domain in this state, an additionalpayment may be necessary. The fees for such a process may be found here http://help.1and1.com/domains-c36931/renew-domains-c85143/recover-a-domain-currently-in-the-redemption-period-a630495.html7.

Expiration
    7.1 Setting Domains to expire or cancel prior to expiry:

gTLD Domains

7.1 During the first 30 day grace period, after the expiry or cancellation date You can recover the domain name at the normal renewal price by contacting Our support team.
    7.2 On day 31, 1&1will assume that You no longer require the domain name and 1&1at Our discretion may elect to assume the domain name and may hold it in Our own account, delete it, or sell it to a third party and may redirect all web traffic to a parking page.
    7.3 On day 45, the domain name will enter the redemption grace period if 1&1opt to not assume the rights of registration. Any domain name in redemption will require an additional restore fee (Redemption Fee). The fees for this process may be found here: http://help.1and1.com/domains-c36931/renew-domains-c85143/recover-a-domain-currently-in-the-redemption-period-a630495.html

https://ionos.com/terms-gtc/fileadmin/Terms/PDF_US/2017_03_09_1and1_Internet_Inc_Registration_Agreement_US_CA.pdf

Thanked by 2DreamCaster coreflux
  • 1and1 for domains is a total headache. You have to cancel manually if you do not want to renew as far as I remember from years ago. Their panel was a really pain in the a**. Not sure about their current practices but I learned to stay away from them years ago. Never turned back.

It's been universally known for more than 2 decades that 1 and 1 sucks major balls, especially when it comes to domains which is where they make profits and use them as hostages.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

TL;DR

Pay your bills on time.