Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why RAMNODE is moving out from SolusVM to Openstack (Fleio) ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why RAMNODE is moving out from SolusVM to Openstack (Fleio) ?

13»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

fleio said:

Python is relatively slower to run than native compiled languages, but I doubt that you would get considerable performance improvement by rewriting Horizon in Go. Applications trade the small performance penalty for the speed of development in Python. There are huge systems or web applications running successfully on Python. A web application is a perfect use case for Python and Django. And there are good use cases for Go.

Python is (relatively) slow, the same way PHP or Ruby are slow(er than compiled languages),

Worth noting that there are also huge projects that have run into serious issues because of Python's performance, such as Matrix' Synapse (which is now being rewritten in Go for that reason). The performance penalty of Python's reference implementation is pretty considerable, especially under load. You can just throw more servers at that problem of course, but that's still a cost.

Also, nit: "compiled languages" are not a thing, whether something is compiled or not is a property of the runtime/compiler, not of the language; at most, the language can make ahead-of-time compilation more difficult to implement through its design decisions. You definitely can do just-in-time compilation with Python via PyPy, for example, and similarly you can interpret C++.

Thanked by 2intovps uptime
  • joepie91 said: Also, nit: "compiled languages" are not a thing, whether something is compiled or not is a property of the runtime/compiler, not of the language; at most, the language can make ahead-of-time compilation more difficult to implement through its design decisions. You definitely can do just-in-time compilation with Python via PyPy, for example, and similarly you can interpret C++.

There are 0 reasons to interpret C++, so nobody (sane) does it, thus 100% of developers compile it, so we call it a compiled language. The definition of "compiled langauges" comes from the real world, not theoretical.

Just a nit...

Thanked by 2BlaZe intovps
  • fleiofleio Member

@jiggawattz said:
    The definition of "compiled langauges" comes from the real world, not theoretical.

That's where my wording came from. But I agree with some of the @joepie91 points.

PS: I like the fact that among all the gibberish LET talk there are some really smart people around.

The end is nei!

Thanked by 2Hxxx vimalware
  • @HostEONS said:
    You get what you pay for, you can get good as well as worse coders in India or any country, but if you hire the right company and pay right price you can get really good coders even in India but usually companies outsource in India to save $$ and ultimately compromise on quality and then later complain that quality is bad.

It's like iPhone is manufactured in China and even cheap android phones are also manufactured in China, but you get what you pay for

Actually, with reference to China, we say they solve problems by throwing people/engineers at a problem, while the West figures out the solution with far less people.

Apple likes to talk about waking up 10,000 engineers at 1am to solve a problem, and my thinking is, "if you need 10,000 engineers to solve a problem, you're doing it wrong".

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

@TimboJones said:
    Actually, with reference to China, we say they solve problems by throwing people/engineers at a problem, while the West figures out the solution with far less people.

Apple likes to talk about waking up 10,000 engineers at 1am to solve a problem, and my thinking is, "if you need 10,000 engineers to solve a problem, you're doing it wrong".

Reminds me of (paraphrasing) a German term I heard a while back - if you need to work overtime, you are inefficient.

Quite a different, but nice way of thinking of it.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Every time I hear "in-house solution", Feather magically comes to my mind... Every time someone randomly claims to be able to code a(ny) better solutions than companies with years or decades in the field, that are safer "in the long run", a puppy dies somewhere in the world.

I would like to note that software responsible to core processes in a business should preferably be handled by a supplier with more know-how in the area than trying to come up with a "safer in the long run" solution without having quite a lot of years of experience in that specific field (mostly because of security, but always keeping in mind general reliability, availability and specially accountability).

There's a reason why even huge software factories source their core ERP software to SAP...

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @jackb said:

@TimboJones said:

Reminds me of (paraphrasing) a German term I heard a while back - if you need to work overtime, you are inefficient.

Quite a different, but nice way of thinking of it.

Oh yeah. When I hear about people working crazy long hours that aren't being paid doctor/lawyer rates or getting double overtime, I think, "you know you're just saying you're shit at your job, right?"