Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why RAMNODE is moving out from SolusVM to Openstack (Fleio) ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why RAMNODE is moving out from SolusVM to Openstack (Fleio) ?

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

Lee said: I can't think of any provider here who has their own billing panel, which is a crucial business process everyone relies on a 3rd party for.

We use our own billing panel on LunaNode. We also use our own control panel on top of OpenStack; it seems to have more features than Fleio like shelving / uptime monitoring / e-mail hosting, but probably this is because it takes a lot more time to make something work in a flexible way for other companies than to get it working robustly for a single business.

I'm a bit surprised that other companies who have their own control panel don't go ahead and integrate billing into that panel as well, but given that WHMCS licenses are a negligible cost I suppose it makes sense to use WHMCS and not worry about maintaining even more code. Still, a generic billing panel instead of one geared towards the company's offerings makes things slightly more confusing for the users.

Something else that I always found odd is that so few hosting companies are run by people with substantial software engineering experience. I think owner not being developer does explain why they prefer not to implement their own software though (costs go up astronomically when you outsource or have to hire a dedicated 40-hr/wk developer, as @vpsjungle said).

Anyway, good to see RamNode deploying this, it has been five years in the making : P (https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1357112). I used to have something like twenty RamNode VPS for game servers, slowly moved those services to an OVH dedicated server though, RamNode had much better network but my services kept growing and eventually it became too much trouble to maintain so many servers.

• noamannoaman Member

@Lee said:

BlaZe said: A company like RamNode (@Nick_A) should probably invest in their in-house panel (hint: BuyVM's Stallion)

Nick_A said: Easier said than done, basically. We spent a lot of time/money developing our own integration of OpenStack + WHMCS in-house and essentially trashed it to go with Fleio in the end. OpenStack itself is a beast, and until now, there wasn't a good way to integrate it with an existing billing system. Once we saw that Fleio had been building a better version of what we were working on, it made sense for us to let them handle the integration so we can focus on maintaining the system itself.

Offtopic

I am big fan of your signature

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

Thanked by 1Lee
  • fleiofleio Member

@LTniger said:

@JoeMerit said:

@LTniger said:
    Fleio made by Romania based company. Hm, in terms of quality thwy are like India developers or better? I prefer German or Russian code quality standards.

Wow...

Probably there should be a history for such question. Long story short - I had massive problems with Virtualizor. And developed alergy for software from India :(.

But I never experienced Romanian software quality.

You can download Fleio and review the code yourself: https://fleio.com/docs/installing.html

Thanked by 1vpsjungle
  • intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@Lee said:

willie said: We did our own billing panel where I used to work.

Define we? On the basis, most providers here are 1 or 2 people doing it all.

We wrote our first in house panel on top of OpenVZ 6 ten years ago:
    https://blog.intovps.com/2009/07/30/hypanel-screenshots/

It was just after the Kloxo/HyperVM huge security incidents which resulted in companies having tens of OpenVZ 6 servers wiped out completely.

We're 15 people at IntoVPS/Hosterion + Fleio and we still need to sell it to other companies as well for the investment to make sense and havea future.

And obviously a healthy, alive and secure control panel needs constant development, not just a one time software development project.

Thanked by 2vpsjungle vimalware
  • failhostingsfailhostings Member
    edited July 2019

@alexvolk said:

@LTniger said:
    Fleio made by Romania based company. Hm, in terms of quality thwy are like India developers or better? I prefer German or Russian code quality standards.

They're better than Indians

That rank is bs romania beating israel at coding lel Israel is the start up Nation and the founding stone and all greatness. While romania just say they barely have ngo funded start up projects lel

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

failhostings said: That rank is bs romania being that israel at coding lel Israel is the start up Nation and the founding stone and all greatness. While romania just say they barely have ngo funded start up projects lel

Per https://blog.hackerrank.com/which-country-would-win-in-the-programming-olympics/ sounds like it's based on the average score on coding challenges of HackerRank users in each country. So if there are a lot of users in a country who are new to coding, then they would push the score down even though their score is only low because they are just beginning to learn to code. The ranking doesn't really make sense, it's just for their publicity. Of course, comparing coding quality by country instead of specific developers doesn't make sense either, so I guess it fits in this thread ^^.

• @fleio your interface is cool and i love it.
    Currently we use SolusVM and use XEN for VM's and i was happy with it.
    But my inner mind is saying SolusVM may give price shock as cPanel anytime.

Can you shed some light on my below doubts.

1. Whats the major advantage from moving from Xen to Openstack?
    2. We were able to mange Xen nodes with ease how tough is managing Openstack nodes.
    3. Are you providing any consultancy for Openstack setup if we go with Fleio
    4. Are you providing any management service for Openstack nodes
  • fleiofleio Member

@vpsjungle said:
    @fleio your interface is cool and i love it.

Thanks

OpenStack supports many hypervisors like Xen, KVM, Hyper-V, VMWare, Virtuozzo etc. Full list here: https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/user/support-matrix.html

Some of the OpenStack features:

• virtual data center managed by end users with virtual switches, routers and security rules
    • VPNs management by end-users
    • load balancers and floating IPs
    • dedicate servers deployment and management (project Ironic)
    • Kubernetes clusters (Magnum)
    • tons of SAN/block storage providers: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderSupportMatrix
    • object storage a la S3 (Swift project)
    • standard, open source API and CLI for end-users
    1. We were able to mange Xen nodes with ease how tough is managing Openstack nodes.

An experienced system administrator needs to allocate around 6 months or more to learn and test OpenStack before going in production. We use and recommend OpenStack-Ansible for deployment, management, reconfiguration, upgrades - https://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ansible/latest/

1. Are you providing any consultancy for Openstack setup if we go with Fleio
    2. Are you providing any management service for Openstack nodes

We're focusing on Fleio software development. We don't do OpenStack consultancy.

Paying a consultant for OpenStack installation and consultancy would be in the xxxx € range even for a minimal project, which (a) does not make sense for (some) very small clouds, (b) is not in the LET budget range.

Thanked by 1vpsjungle
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

In India there are many noobs and as well as experienced workers , it depends how much you pay for . Top companies hire the toppers like google,fb and microsoft , you are generally left with average workers .In those coding sites , many Indian noobs try , so it has low ranks . Now compare it with china , only smart and expert people can access websites outside china , then also only few percentage of know english properly,so smart chinese people compete in there , so obviously better rank for the country . So is the reason Russia. In India everybody that is learning Engineering knows English and can join any such sites and participate , so Indians are lesser ranked

• saibalsaibal Member

Is Hackerrank actually credible for these kinds of stats? There was a big cry when this came to light sometime ago but I cannot find the original source anymore.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@hostdare said:
    In India there are many noobs and as well as experienced workers , it depends how much you pay for . Top companies hire the toppers like google,fb and microsoft , you are generally left with average workers .In those coding sites , many Indian noobs try , so it has low ranks . Now compare it with china , only smart and expert people can access websites outside china , then also only few percentage of know english properly,so smart chinese people compete in there , so obviously better rank for the country . So is the reason Russia. In India everybody that is learning Engineering knows English and can join any such sites and participate , so Indians are lesser ranked

Nice, but some dumbass racist fucks won't understand this. All they know is to blame & draw immature conclusions.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

perennate said: Something else that I always found odd is that so few hosting companies are run by people with substantial software engineering experience.

To put it bluntly: there's fuck-all money in hosting. If you can make a small fortune as an experienced software engineer working for a handful of respectful clients and/or a single employer, why would you voluntarily deal with potentially hundreds of shitty demanding customers while earning far less? From a capitalistic perspective, the incentive just isn't there.

Some might do it because they like running a hosting company, but as with any passion projects, it won't be many people doing that. The hours are grueling, most of the time you have to deal with shitty customers, and you can't just take two weeks off for a holiday.

Thanked by 2perennate alexvolk
  • perennate said: Something else that I always found odd is that so few hosting companies are run by people with substantial software engineering experience. I think owner not being developer does explain why they prefer not to implement their own software though (costs go up astronomically when you outsource or have to hire a dedicated 40-hr/wk developer, as @vpsjungle said).

I'd imagine that most small hosting providers are started by kids in their early 20s, with the capacity to have more sleepless nights and 24/7 availability (at least in the beginning) They specialize in systems/network administration not software engineering, which is a different field and skillset entirely.

I don't think most developers with 10-15 years of real software engineering would venture into this field.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited July 2019

uh uhm HackerRank who? I'm pretty sure some of the top developers don't have time to solve shitty puzzles. For example (and not that I'm elite or anything), I have never used such website or their services. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of developers on a daily grind that don't have time for stuff like that. Not every country / States / Territories use platform like these.

Having said that, Indians are very motivated individuals. Google current CEO is Indian.
    Like in every case, there are shitty trash terrible garbage sad Indian developers and then there is the other side Indian developers who actually are top notch and tons of years of experience.
    But the same thing happens with USA or any country.

Being a good dev is all about experience and being able to keep up with the current best practices. You can learn something, have actual more knowledge as a junior than a senior and still be trash because you lack the experience.

Thanked by 3uptime ITLabs hostdare
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@fleio said:

@vpsjungle said:
    @fleio your interface is cool and i love it.

Thanks

OpenStack supports many hypervisors like Xen, KVM, Hyper-V, VMWare, Virtuozzo etc. Full list here: https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/user/support-matrix.html

Some of the OpenStack features:

• virtual data center managed by end users with virtual switches, routers and security rules
    • VPNs management by end-users
    • load balancers and floating IPs
    • dedicate servers deployment and management (project Ironic)
    • Kubernetes clusters (Magnum)
    • tons of SAN/block storage providers: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderSupportMatrix
    • object storage a la S3 (Swift project)
    • standard, open source API and CLI for end-users
    1. We were able to mange Xen nodes with ease how tough is managing Openstack nodes.

An experienced system administrator needs to allocate around 6 months or more to learn and test OpenStack before going in production. We use and recommend OpenStack-Ansible for deployment, management, reconfiguration, upgrades - https://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ansible/latest/

1. Are you providing any consultancy for Openstack setup if we go with Fleio
    2. Are you providing any management service for Openstack nodes

We're focusing on Fleio software development. We don't do OpenStack consultancy.

Paying a consultant for OpenStack installation and consultancy would be in the xxxx € range even for a minimal project, which (a) does not make sense for (some) very small clouds, (b) is not in the LET budget range.

Learning it currently. The trial license will expire before I get to test Fleio properly!

edited July 2019

Breaking news: you can get good or bad developers from any country on earth

• I work at a big isp for Openstack and we use canonical juju with commercial sdn solution.
    I'm quite satisfied about the canonical juju system, and I'd recommend it over the EL kolla-docker mess. The kolla system also runs libvirt in privileged docker containers with all kind of serious nasty issues. Also tried openstack-ansible, and personally I think this is also quite a mess, they wrote a lot of useless overcomplicated wrappers to do stuff Ansible has built in in one of the nastiest ways one could code it.

My opinion about Openstack: overall I can live with it, but it has a lot of issues that exist by design. But here are some of the things I really hate:

• Useless error reporting. When some resource creation failed because the hypervisor is full it will not say hypervisor is full, but rather report a python stack-trace to the message queue. Using juju with central logging solves this a bit.
    • Code is python and quite slow. Browsing the openstack horizon UI takes about 1-5 sec for each page load. A rewrite in a more performance oriented language like golang would be a game changer.
    • Internal politics. Because openstack wants to support every scenario you actually get this bloated system with a lot of theoretical features that don't work. Some commercial vendors write plugins but these are total unstable garbage and often python2 only.
    • Openstack tries to be the vmware alternative for a fraction of the cost. But the money you actually spend to get it to work will be wayy more than vmware vcenter that just works.
    Thanked by 1willie
  • fleiofleio Member

@MikePT said:
    Learning it currently. The trial license will expire before I get to test Fleio properly!

ping me :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • fleiofleio Member

@VirtualByte said:

• Code is python and quite slow. Browsing the openstack horizon UI takes about 1-5 sec for each page load. A rewrite in a more performance oriented language like golang would be a game changer.

Python is relatively slower to run than native compiled languages, but I doubt that you would get considerable performance improvement by rewriting Horizon in Go. Applications trade the small performance penalty for the speed of development in Python. There are huge systems or web applications running successfully on Python. A web application is a perfect use case for Python and Django. And there are good use cases for Go.

Python is (relatively) slow, the same way PHP or Ruby are slow(er than compiled languages),

The Horizon speed issue comes from its design decisions: when displaying a simple object list (e.g. instances) it connects to OpenStack HTTP API's to retrieve data.

What we're doing at Fleio is that we keep a MySQL database cache for OpenStack objects and after the initial sync, we're keeping it up to date via notifications. And where we don't have notifications implemented in OpenStack we're submitting patches to add them.

This way Fleio does not have a performance issue from Python. :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BlaZe said: That's one way to look at it (which isn't wrong) but again, depending on a 3rd party for a crucial business process can lead to uncertainties in near future.

Right. Everyone, get off Linux now and write your own.

intovps said: Breaking news: you can get good or bad developers from any country on earth

• @BlaZe said:

@hostdare said:

Nice, but some dumbass racist fucks won't understand this. All they know is to blame & draw immature conclusions.

I think a lot of people with experience with different developers wouldn't have reacted the way you did. You took racist offence to 11 when it is somewhat reasonable question. I've had many discussions with developers on their education and experience, and it is valuable information. Some are told to do specific stuff, others are told to think out of the box. The education system and work expectations are different for different parts of the world, so there is some consistency and expectation from that.

But as someone else pointed out, you can have amazing or shit coders in any country. You get a team of 10-20 developers from any country, and there's a couple of superstars and a couple of dead weights.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

intovps said: @raindog308, busted!

Man, you did your research!

Hmmm, wikipedia has a 2011 breakdown with a population of 594...well, I was close. Of those, 429 are clerical (senior Church officials - they're not writing code) and another 109 are the Swiss Guard (the guys with the halberds).

It's possible one of the others is a developer but unlikely...the rest of that are probably people like the Pope's butler and senior professionals. The vast majority of Vatican employees and staff are Italian citizens. Vatican City citizenship is always ex officio. If you are appointed to a position there, you are a citizen for the duration of that appointment and then the citizenship is revoked.

The Vatican has hosted hackathons, amusingly enough.

Thanked by 1intovps

@TimboJones said:
    I've had many discussions with developers on their education and experience, and it is valuable information. Some are told to do specific stuff, others are told to think out of the box. The education system and work expectations are different for different parts of the world, so there is some consistency and expectation from that.

That sounds sophisticated. Shit code is much simpler, like this: https://shitcode.net/376

Thanked by 1uptime
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

Hxxx said: Having said that, Indians are very motivated individuals. Google current CEO is Indian.Like in every case, there are shitty trash terrible garbage sad Indian developers and then there is the other side Indian developers who actually are top notch and tons of years of experience.

exactly mate , good and motivated Indian students are placed by Intel,microsoft,google,facebook etc during college placements . What remains are average Joe who work for medium to small companies and after that remains the below average which other people hire at cheap rates for freelancing and then complain about it

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@intovps said:

@TimboJones said:
    I've had many discussions with developers on their education and experience, and it is valuable information. Some are told to do specific stuff, others are told to think out of the box. The education system and work expectations are different for different parts of the world, so there is some consistency and expectation from that.

That sounds sophisticated. Shit code is much simpler, like this: https://shitcode.net/376

Someones been auditing Solus I see.

Francisco

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

You get what you pay for, you can get good as well as worse coders in India or any country, but if you hire the right company and pay right price you can get really good coders even in India but usually companies outsource in India to save $$ and ultimately compromise on quality and then later complain that quality is bad.

It's like iPhone is manufactured in China and even cheap android phones are also manufactured in China, but you get what you pay for

• @intovps said:

Ha! Way back in my younger days I was coding an inventory system similar to Diablo 2 (array matrix). I couldn't figure out how to detect collisions for items with different sizes. Like tetris blocks. I had around 30-40 if statements. I finally found out after trial and error, the solution was just to loop through the rows and columns. :lol:
    If I find this code someday, i'll definitely try to post it there!

Thanked by 1intovps
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Looks like OpenStack not working out for RAMNODE yet, they are enabling their SolusVM based OVZ packages again, just saw their tweet

• sonicsonic Veteran

@HostEONS said:
    Looks like OpenStack not working out for RAMNODE yet, they are enabling their SolusVM based OVZ packages again, just saw their tweet

"While we continue working on a new container option for our OpenStack Cloud, you can order an OpenVZ VPS on our legacy SolusVM system"