Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode Openstack Cloud Launched - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode Openstack Cloud Launched

Comments

• Which DC are they using in NY? Their test IP and file don't seem to work. Hopefully its not Buffalo

• donlidonli Member

@t0ny0 said:
    Which DC are they using in NY? Their test IP and file don't seem to work. Hopefully its not Buffalo

They're not in Buffalo. Which IP did you use? Their NY looking glass works fine for me:

http://lg.nyc.ramnode.com/

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @donli said:

@t0ny0 said:
    Which DC are they using in NY? Their test IP and file don't seem to work. Hopefully its not Buffalo

They're not in Buffalo. Which IP did you use? Their NY looking glass works fine for me:

http://lg.nyc.ramnode.com/

It was just an IP listed on their site, didn't actually click on any looking glass. Thanks!!

• AmitzAmitz Member

I forgot which DC they use but - for god's sake - it isn't ColoCrossing.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Telehouse Chelsea :)

Thanked by 2Kris Ole_Juul

NYC test IPs seem ok from here.

• HxxxHxxx Member

So what are the advantages for a Provider to move to adopt open stack if it is so terrible and delicate (will break easily) ? Just assuming conclusions based on the comments above. No actual research done from my end.

@Hxxx said:
    So what are the advantages for a Provider to move to adopt open stack if it is so terrible and delicate (will break easily) ? Just assuming conclusions based on the comments above. No actual research done from my end.

Speaking for us, we obviously don't think it's "terrible" or prone to breaking. The complexity and hit or miss documentation can be frustrating to deal with. But it's a really cool, flexible system once set up properly.

• AmitzAmitz Member

So "FlexibleSystem" is a 15% off coupon, recurring? Only for us, the good old LET crowd?

Thanked by 4Nick_A Hxxx sin kkrajk
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

@Nick_A - NL soon?

@Lee said:
    @Nick_A - NL soon?

Should be Thurs/Fri.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • williewillie Member

JoeMerit said: ON AN AMD EPYC SERVER AND PERFORMANCE IS GREAT.

Post bench and cpuinfo.

• KrisKris Member

willie said: Post bench and cpuinfo.

My DA dev node: vroom vroom

[root@epyc ~]# sh bench.sh
    Benchmark started on Mon Jul 22 20:26:59 UTC 2019
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info

Processor : AMD EPYC Processor (with IBPB)
    CPU Cores : 1
    Frequency : 2099.998 MHz
    Memory : 487 MB
    Swap : MB
    Uptime : 3 days, 20:46,

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel : 3.10.0-957.21.3.el7.x86_64
    Hostname : epyc.novalocal

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Location Provider Speed
    CDN Cachefly 89.9MB/s
    Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 61.8MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 27.5MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 15.2MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 14.7MB/s
    Washington, DC, US Softlayer 87.2MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 9.52MB/s
    Singapore Softlayer 5.02MB/s
    Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 9.15MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 33.7MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 609 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 678 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 721 MB/s
    Average I/O : 669.333 MB/s

[root@epyc ~]#

Thanked by 3Nick_A willie uptime
  • bobbrbobbr Member

@Lee said:

IonSwitch_Stan said: You are paying $3/m for a 512MB VPS? Can I talk to you about our E5-2670+ based VPS line, starting at $17.50/yr for 512MB?

Whoever you are you are not Ramnode.

That's all true, but Stan is talking about a decent VPS that isn't as high-powered but isn't oversold, has good uptime, and benefits from knowledgeable support by people who know what they're doing. (I'm in my third year with this 512 and I have never, ever had to submit a support ticket about anything.) The CPU isn't crazy fast, but performance is predictable and consistent. My little static site with 350k of photos on the front page loads in about 120 ms for viewers in the local Seattle area and that's good enough for me.

So from my experience, I'm not willing to join in here and piss on Stan from a great height, just for being a relatively smaller, lesser-known and more budget-oriented outfit. Also, I see that the faster NVME version of this is in stock, for $5/yr more. Personally I don't need it, because my Web server serves everything from RAM but YMMV.

Anyway, I just didn't want to let this fun-filled putdown, harmless as it is, be the last word said here about Stan's efforts. Go Stan.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

bobbr said: That's all true, but Stan is talking about a decent VPS that isn't as high-powered but isn't oversold, has good uptime, and benefits from knowledgeable support by people who know what they're doing.

So you are saying Ramnode is none of that? Sounds like it.

bobbr said: I'm not willing to join in here and piss on Stan from a great height, just for being a relatively smaller, lesser-known and more budget-oriented outfit.

Nobody is, he made himself look a tit by jumping in with:

IonSwitch_Stan said: You are paying $3/m for a 512MB VPS? Can I talk to you about our E5-2670+ based VPS line, starting at $17.50/yr for 512MB?

Which is pissing on a thread about another provider trying to suggest he offers better value. It is not always about $3 or $10.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • bobbrbobbr Member

Lee:
    "So you are saying Ramnode is none of that? Sounds like it"

A few years ago I did have a VPS with Ramnode, before they had servers in Seattle. I had (and still have) no complaints at all about Ramnode. A few months ago I'd thought about adding a VPS there. But now with this cloud change, which I haven't entirely wrapped my head around, I think I'd like to find out more about it first before jumping in. As you can guess from that, I'm not yet quite as cloud-enabled and complexity-friendly as people who can spend more of their time absorbing this stuff, even though probably more services will shift more toward this as time goes on and I'll have to catch up some day.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@bobbr said:

But now with this cloud change, which I haven't entirely wrapped my head around, I think I'd like to find out more about it first before jumping in. As you can guess from that, I'm not yet quite as cloud-enabled and complexity-friendly as people who can spend more of their time absorbing this stuff, even though probably more services will shift more toward this as time goes on and I'll have to catch up some day.

It looks (and acts) basically like a normal VPS with the major added feature that you can destroy it and not be charged for the time it's gone.

bobbr said: But now with this cloud change, which I haven't entirely wrapped my head around

It's like @donli said - normal VPS with hourly billing. VPS install/management is actually much simpler on the new system. You can make use of some advanced features, but you don't have to.

• bobbrbobbr Member
    edited July 2019

That sounds like Vultr, et al. Simply stopping my Vultr instance didn't reduce any of the charges. I had to destroy the thing entirely. I guess no one has yet thought that there might be a market for a cloud service that offers reduced charges when not in use, and doesn't require destroying it. Clearly, some things do still cost the provider the same when it's stopped (e.g. IPv4 address, disk space usage), but others (e.g. CPU usage, network bandwidth usage) go to zero.

Recently I discontinued my NearlyFreeSpeech shared account after many years, because I found myself not using it lately. But they're interesting in that they have a usage based pricing model that adds up several categories of costs. When my site wasn't being used, some costs continued but others stopped, which to me as a customer always seemed more reasonable than the "must-destroy" cloud pricing model.

You can take a snapshot and store it indefinitely for reduced cost.

Thanked by 3vyas11 uptime Ole_Juul
  • The CloudStack looks cool, but less flexiable on billing, no coupon or so could be added... I'm stick with SolusVM now. :)

• @bobbr said:
    That sounds like Vultr, et al. Simply stopping my Vultr instance didn't reduce any of the charges. I had to destroy the thing entirely. I guess no one has yet thought that there might be a market for a cloud service that offers reduced charges when not in use, and doesn't require destroying it. Clearly, some things do still cost the provider the same when it's stopped (e.g. IPv4 address, disk space usage), but others (e.g. CPU usage, network bandwidth usage) go to zero.

Recently I discontinued my NearlyFreeSpeech shared account after many years, because I found myself not using it lately. But they're interesting in that they have a usage based pricing model that adds up several categories of costs. When my site wasn't being used, some costs continued but others stopped, which to me as a customer always seemed more reasonable than the "must-destroy" cloud pricing model.

I've shilled Lunanode.com a number of times already, but I haven't found a better provider with the features they offer. You can shelve an instance, and you only pay for the IP ($1/month). And you pay for the storage ($0.03 per GB).

My favorite feature is volume (ceph cluster) backed root partitions. You can boot off a volume, which are HDD or SSD backed (see Toronto for SSD volumes). And you can take snapshots of volumes for free basically since I think it must be an incremental snapshot (full images cost money).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

The Netherlands is up and running.

@Lee said:
    The Netherlands is up and running.

You beat me to it!

Thanked by 1Lee
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2019

Netherlands are up!
    Now you both seem fast, compared to me.

Thanked by 1Nick_A

Added new Massive KVM options - $15/mo for 1TB HDD. https://ramnode.com/#pricing. Available in NYC/LA. ATL/SEA coming this week. NL maybe next week.

Thanked by 2Lee coolice
  • amarcamarc Veteran

Nick_A said: Added new Massive KVM options - $15/mo for 1TB HDD. https://ramnode.com/#pricing. Available in NYC/LA. ATL/SEA coming this week. NL maybe next week.

This is great.. What would hardware look like in NL (CPU, RAIDx ? ) ? Is it possible to get 2 IP's per one instance ?

@amarc said:

Nick_A said: Added new Massive KVM options - $15/mo for 1TB HDD. https://ramnode.com/#pricing. Available in NYC/LA. ATL/SEA coming this week. NL maybe next week.

This is great.. What would hardware look like in NL (CPU, RAIDx ? ) ? Is it possible to get 2 IP's per one instance ?

Thanks! Hardware - same as our other regions

You can order a filtered IP for a second public IP if needed.

• amarcamarc Veteran

@Nick_A , thanks. $10 one looks great.. while I like @intovps routing to Cluj better.. if they do not introduce those storage addons soon I will probably order one in NL when it comes available

• Ramnode's stable service provider does not need the complicated and cumbersome Openstack Cloud.
    He doesn't seem to have Centos6.x, and the operation is complicated. I was defeated by it and gave up buying.

I just want to buy it very simply through whmcs and use it.
    It seems that it is no longer possible to purchase products through whmcs?