Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any unlimited cloud storage like google? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any unlimited cloud storage like google?

13»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

EAgency said: It's called pattern recognition.

No matter what you call it, it's looking at people's files and violating their privacy.

• @Styx said:
    Looks like google allows me unlimited storage on a single account, even thouth it says 5 is needed. Will test this.

In total, we are talking about 70 TB`s right now. Google just gave me this for 10 euros / month

Google drive starts having issues around 150 TB, just google about it. I have about 9TB on my account, and you only need one user for unlimited not the recommended 5 users. But you probably want to encrypt what you send up like I do, unless your ok with big brother google.

• EAgencyEAgency Member
    edited July 2019

raindog308 said: No matter what you call it, it's looking at people's files and violating their privacy.

I can look at your house with the fancy alarm system and think to myself he must have some nice things in there if he tries to protect his property that well. That doesn't mean I broke into your home and stole your stuff or invaded your privacy. You decide to give me that information by yourself by not properly hiding that you have something worth protecting ( which means it's interesting in the first place ).

Google looking at the size of your file and how it's accessed for example is not invading your privacy at all. They don't know what is inside and don't try to gain access to the stored information by breaking encryption to find out, but it allows them to say with a high probability that what you uploaded is against their ToS or breaking the law and therefore you are not a customer they want and worth considering termination of your contract and future ban from all google services.

If people would be honest and upstanding ( not uploading content that is breaking any law ) and stay within the limits they pay for ( 1TB ) there would be no problem at all. But if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes sooner or later.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

EAgency said: Google looking at the size of your file and how it's accessed for example is not invading your privacy at all.

Yes it is.

EAgency said: I can look at your house with the fancy alarm system and think to myself he must have some nice things in there if he tries to protect his property that well. That doesn't mean I broke into your home and stole your stuff or invaded your privacy.

WTF dude...if you're standing outside peeping in my windows, you are invading my privacy.

You keep using the word "privacy". I'm not sure you understand what it means.

Thanked by 2Ouji uptime
  • I wouldn't hold out on thinking that Google is never going to crack down on unlimited usage abuse for G Suite. Seen a tech show on YT awhile back (Feb-March?) where a Google rep acknowledged it is a real problem and they would be addressing it. Not a good way to lose your multiple terabytes of hoarded data...

Thanked by 1uptime
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@Weblogics said:

Not a good way to lose your multiple terabytes of hoarded data...

If only there was a place one could backup multiple terabytes of data.

• Google says you agree with this when using their services:

"Our automated systems analyse your content (including emails) to provide you with personally relevant product features, such as customised search results, tailored advertising and spam and malware detection. This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received and when it is stored."

Source:
    https://policies.google.com/terms

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • uptimeuptime Member

my (vague and entirely disinterested) recollection of some r/datahoarder discussions about google drive (maybe a couple years ago) seemed to indicate storing lots of the popular "linux iso" files - encrypted or not - was generally not a problem but sharing them with others directly via the google would most likely end in tears if copyright issues were involved.

Just some random bs I read on the internet, but kind of makes sense if you think about it for a minute.

• EAgencyEAgency Member
    edited July 2019

raindog308 said: WTF dude...if you're standing outside peeping in my windows, you are invading my privacy.

raindog308 said: You keep using the word "privacy". I'm not sure you understand what it means.

I am not sure it's because I am not a native english speaker or because you actually like to interpret things in a way where you just pretend something has been said when in reality noone ever mentioned your scenario ( like peeping in your windows ) so you don't have to accept reality.

But you don't seem to understand that I meant looking at your house, like from across the street. Who said anything about looking into your windows lol? How is that invading your privacy if I walk down the street see your fancy alarm system and think to myself I wonder what's in his house that he needs one of those because you put up security and painted your windows black ( encryption ).

I think I understand the word privacy pretty good but you seem to have a very weird understanding of it where it's invading your privacy if I even look at something you own without the intention to look what's inside or steal it for the sake of finding out if you do something illegal. Like if there are a thousand houses with a fancy alarm system and black windows where drugs are produced it's likely that something could be going on in your house as well. That way I can make an educated guess what you do in your house without invading your privacy by just looking at the information that is publicly available to me ( walking down the street looking at houses and nice squirrels in trees ).

I am not sure how I can dumb down the concept any further so you'll be able to comprehend it so I'll leave it at that. Have a nice day and enjoy your paranoia I guess.

• uptimeuptime Member

EAgency said: Like if there are a thousand houses with a fancy alarm system and black windows where drugs are produced it's likely that something could be going on in your house as well. [...] I am not sure how I can dumb down the concept any further so you'll be able to comprehend it so I'll leave it at that. Have a nice day and enjoy your paranoia I guess.

lol ... c'mon man. An alternate scenario is for everyone to value their privacy whether or not they have nice stuff and whatever the provenance of that stuff might be. Or should we all just do all our wanking by an open window for the neighbors to see?

• xaocxaoc Member

@EAgency said:

raindog308 said: WTF dude...if you're standing outside peeping in my windows, you are invading my privacy.

raindog308 said: You keep using the word "privacy". I'm not sure you understand what it means.

I am not sure it's because I am not a native english speaker or because you actually like to interpret things in a way where you just pretend something has been said when in reality noone ever mentioned your scenario ( like peeping in your windows ) so you don't have to accept reality.

But you don't seem to understand that I meant looking at your house, like from across the street. Who said anything about looking into your windows lol? How is that invading your privacy if I walk down the street see your fancy alarm system and think to myself I wonder what's in his house that he needs one of those because you put up security and painted your windows black ( encryption ).

I think I understand the word privacy pretty good but you seem to have a very weird understanding of it where it's invading your privacy if I even look at something you own without the intention to look what's inside or steal it for the sake of finding out if you do something illegal. Like if there are a thousand houses with a fancy alarm system and black windows where drugs are produced it's likely that something could be going on in your house as well. That way I can make an educated guess what you do in your house without invading your privacy by just looking at the information that is publicly available to me ( walking down the street looking at houses and nice squirrels in trees ).

I am not sure how I can dumb down the concept any further so you'll be able to comprehend it so I'll leave it at that. Have a nice day and enjoy your paranoia I guess.

If on public space you actually have the right to look trough his windows and it wouldn't be a privacy invasion as the content of the house was made available via the glass windows(assuming there are no covers in which case you're just looking @ a window).