Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any unlimited cloud storage like google? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any unlimited cloud storage like google?

Comments

• williewillie Member

sgheghele said: I have never seen one while subbed there for the last three years and I actively search for these posts. Could you please provide one of these posts?

Didn't mean google specifically but I remember it happening with AWS and maybe 1fichier. It stands to reason that anything the seller is steadily losing money on will dry up sooner or later. OTOH maybe all the data hoarders are re-hoarding the same bunch of media files so google is able to de-dup them and keep disk consumption in check.

I'd stay away from any "lifetime" offer since that will definitely also go away, even from huge vendors. How many times has Microsoft shut down DRM servers that rendered music and video it sold useless?

Meanwhile here's an interesting post about storage media prices:

https://za3k.com/archive/storage-2019-07.sc.txt

It looks like LTO-8 tape is the champ. Unfortunately the drives are quite expensive.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • MatthiasMatthias Member, LIR

@CyberneticTitan said:
    GSuite: https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html

But min 5 users for "unlimited".

If you buy via a reseller it should be unlimited with the first user already. I have a G Suite Business subscription for my private email via a reseller and got unlimited Google Drive.

• lordfenixnclordfenixnc Member
    edited July 2019

Mega unlimited is $33/month gsuite for a single user works great but ran into api limit plus 750gb/day bw limit. But it's speed is worth the dancing with api and bw limits lol.... I personally use mega for now only because I have yet to hit api or bw limit... Downside unless using apps signed with new API keys you are limits to download speeds of 1MB/s... But for what I use it for I found away around it. :)

• This might be blah for you guys but to be safe and have easy access... Encrypt using rclone. Then they have no idea what you have and you can even mount it like a hard drive

• williewillie Member

I saw a couple days ago and just confirmed, 1fichier.com pricing page for cold storage says "* 2TB included by default. Extents available on the panel from €1 per TB per month." Someone mentioned earlier that they saw €2/TB/m so I wonder what is going on. €2 is believable but €1 is dubious, imho.

• uptimeuptime Member

@willie said:
    I wonder what is going on. €2 is believable but €1 is dubious, imho

if paying €36 for 3 years, would work out to €1 per TB per month

Thanked by 1willie
  • Yandex Storage.

• StyxStyx Member

I ended up using their g-suite. Even with only one user, its unlimited. Not bad.

Ping me a message if you happen to need a google drive account, and ill hit you up

• fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited July 2019

@Durante said:
    Watch this video. Linus abused google storage which labeled as unlimited
    youtube.com/watch?v=y2F0wjoKEhg

Was expecting to see Linus of Linux kernel fame but interesting workaround none the less, 750gb a day per account is pretty damn generous but you do need at least 5accounts (minimum $50/mo) for this

• creepcreep Member

Maybe it's time to let go some of your memories. I already ditched my old movies/dramas collection. Move on. Future is ahead.

• donlidonli Member

@creep said:
    Maybe it's time to let go some of your memories. I already ditched my old movies/dramas collection. Move on. Future is ahead.

It's not the memories it's the fantasies that are the hardest to let go.

• AmitzAmitz Member

My apologies for disturbing you here, but I was looking for a place for this animated GIF since quite some time and would love to place it here, so it does no longer lay around on my desktop. Thank you.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: I'd stay away from any "lifetime" offer since that will definitely also go away, even from huge vendors.

First thing that came to my mind:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/9463/copy-new-cloud-storage-service-lots-of-space-free

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1525139

• kyme32kyme32 Member

@Styx said:
    I know it was possible to get a unlimited account before, but doesnt seem possible anymore. Because hdds in dedis are expensive, im looking at options to get a cloud storage service instead. Main usage is streaming media files, and storing backups.

Would be fantastic if it can be mounteed as a local drive to a server (to use plex), but its not a must.

Please give me your experienses in "unlimited storage" companies. Preferably EU, because im using Hetzner dedis. Thank you

Take a look at mega.nz, i use it @4years and never failed me

• StyxStyx Member

@kyme32 said:

@Styx said:
    I know it was possible to get a unlimited account before, but doesnt seem possible anymore. Because hdds in dedis are expensive, im looking at options to get a cloud storage service instead. Main usage is streaming media files, and storing backups.

Would be fantastic if it can be mounteed as a local drive to a server (to use plex), but its not a must.

Please give me your experienses in "unlimited storage" companies. Preferably EU, because im using Hetzner dedis. Thank you

Take a look at mega.nz, i use it @4years and never failed me

States that their business package unlimited storage is only for legitime files. 60Tb of my files are pirated materials.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • donlidonli Member

@Styx said:

States that their business package unlimited storage is only for legitime files. 60Tb of my files are pirated materials.

• Lol no cloud storage allows pirated things.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@SirFoxy said:
    Lol no cloud storage allows pirated things.

@Styx said:

That a boy.

Unless you’re sharing them, how would they know? Unless they’re poking through people’s personal stuff...

• StyxStyx Member

@raindog308 said:

@Styx said:

That a boy.

Unless you’re sharing them, how would they know? Unless they’re poking through people’s personal stuff...

With the end to end encryption, it will never be a problem. Though, when you dump this amount of data on a service, people will notice it. Such a big company as google though wont notice it

To be honest, it's not hard to have terabytes of personal content...all you need is a video camera, a 3D modeling hobby, or a passion for ISO archiving. Maybe you're just into chess endgames...the Lomonsov 7-piece endgame tablebase is 140TB. The theoretical 8-piece endgame tablebase is 1PB+.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • StyxStyx Member

I have started to move my stuff to google drive anyway, plex also works flawless as long as you dont let gogole drive stream shitty software cache files. Speeds are good, pricepoint at 10 euros / month for unlimited storage is working great so far. Only drawdown is the 750gb / day upload limit, so it will take some time to move my stuff. Still worth it, instead of paying 300 ish euros per month for dedis, just to store bullsh*it

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2019

One option is to buy your own hard drives then use a host that offers "slot hosting", eg. https://dedispec.com/slothostinglp.php or https://www.delimiter.com/slot-hosting/. In the long term it'dpprobably work out cheaper. I don't have experience with these hosts, but perhaps other people in this forum know of other hosts that do this.

• williewillie Member

Styx said: 300 ish euros per month

You can do it for a lot less than that, e.g. a Hetzner SX130 (10x 10TB drives) is 150 euro/m + setup. Of course google drive is much cheaper and people have already mentioned 1fichier. If you're going to buy your own drives, with that many you may as well go all-out colo rather than slot hosting.

The cheapest storage medium seems to be LTO-7 tape formatted to 9TB in an LTO-8 drive, at around $55/tape. Unfortunately the drives themselves are stupid expensive. I wonder if there are any places that have them where you can write tapes and have them shipped to you.

I think nobody uses the Lomosonov chess tablebases any more, since the Syzygy 7-piece TB is much more efficiently encoded and uses "only" 16TB or so instead of 140TB. Computing it took some months on a 192 core, 8 socket Xeon Platinum box with 1TB of ram.

• Probably means the limiter.

• @SirFoxy said:
    Lol no cloud storage allows pirated things.

What about mega.nz?
    They claim even they can't see your files, nor restore your password (and data access) if you forget it.

• raindog308 said: Unless you’re sharing them, how would they know? Unless they’re poking through people’s personal stuff...

It's called pattern recognition. If they wanted to they can identify files uploaded even if they are encrypted with a high probability because so many people abuse the service in the same way.

For example if Google had a database of metadata of pirated Movies they have certain info like file size and play duration. Now if you mount your gdrive with rclone f.e. and stream said file that is exactly or nearly as big as movie release X for amount Y which is the length the movie is running via your media server google can autoflag said encrypted upload and start logging the way the file is accessed and how long and compare it to data of all other users making use of the google cloud storage.

It's super easy to build a filter that says if files are regularly accessed in way X for duration Y and this matches with Z number of other customers with Gdrive Size S and only 1 Gsuite User probability of a ToS abuse / illegal activity is XX%

So we either kick the customer out or limit his account to the advertised 1TB and see what happens to gather more data.

Styx said: Such a big company as google though wont notice it

They already did notice and tested some countermeasures, last month there was a huge rclone outage because Google blocked the user agent that rclone uses from access files on gdrive. Usually when a company starts doing stuff like that they are evaluating how to get rid of people massively abusing their service.

You are a guest on their platform, if you trash the place and shit in every corner I wouldn't be too happy as a landlord either. Just because you don't want to open the door when the landlord knocks doesn't mean he'll let you live there if he thinks you are making a mess of his property.

And I wouldn't risk messing with Google because you can read up about people who got lifetime bans at Google and how hard everyday stuff on the Internet has been for them afterwards.

• donlidonli Member

@Daniel15 said:
    One option is to buy your own hard drives then use a host that offers "slot hosting", eg. https://www.delimiter.com/slot-hosting/.

You said the "d word"...
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2982146/p1