Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone moved to DA from cPanel yet? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone moved to DA from cPanel yet?

2»

Comments

• TinFoil2019TinFoil2019 Member
    edited July 2019

Actually- I don't work for any hosting company. I host on Lightsail with Plesk. By the way "Fuck Plesk" is so thoroughly explained by you. Sorry I haven't bounced through 6 hosting companies in the past year. So MC is great and they wasted time on Plesk- and they should have said Fuck Plesk?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@TinFoil2019 said:
    Actually- I don't work for any hosting company. I host on Lightsail with Plesk. By the way "Fuck Plesk" is so thoroughly explained by you. Sorry I haven't bounced through 6 hosting companies in the past year

Excellent for you! So is your ban lifted in WHT?

• Nope- Dont want it to be. When are you going to host on Incero/Hivelocity again now that Gordon is gone?

@TinFoil2019 said:
    Nope- Dont want it to be. When are you going to host on Incero/Hivelocity again now that Gordon is gone?

I already do! Its pretty awesome!

• LeeLee Veteran

As I have said before, it has a way to go, some basic features that are easy wins can be done quickly, I know they are aware of that.

I wouldn't try and sell DA to anyone being as feature-rich as cPanel, we know that is not the case.

DA is different, it requires a different mindset and indeed skillset over cPanel. But, it has everything the majority of people really need to get on with building a website and the way it has been built could in fact lead to it being more flexible in areas cPanel is not leading to more opportunities but that is for another time.

It will be interesting to see how quickly things change at DA, I will be following with interest.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Lee said:
    As I have said before, it has a way to go, some basic features that are easy wins can be done quickly, I know they are aware of that.

I wouldn't try and sell DA to anyone being as feature-rich as cPanel, we know that is not the case.

DA is different, it requires a different mindset and indeed skillset over cPanel. But, it has everything the majority of people really need to get on with building a website and the way it has been built could in fact lead to it being more flexible in areas cPanel is not leading to more opportunities but that is for another time.

It will be interesting to see how quickly things change at DA, I will be following with interest.

Yep same. It seems their plugins system is really flexible tho. We shall see new plugins for DA. Btw Jetbackups is already working on it, I hope Acronis follows too.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@TinFoil2019 has been banned for just being toxic. He has been warned prior and couldn't comply. Well have a nice one!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The best panel I've ever used was Dreamhost's custom in-house panel.

Unfortunately, it was also the first one I ever used, and since then cPanel has always rubbed me the wrong way. Broken backup API (deprecated v1 can do things v2 can't). Bizarre design decisions, like a "primary domain" and "add on domains" and all that nonsense. And it went from being a gross 1990s design that looked like some Windows 3.1 medical billing app to the present way-too-much-whitespace ugliness. Just seems cPanel devs have little pride in their work.

I only use cPanel (via @Francisco) for my demented relatives who would freak out if it changed. They had the same reaction to touch tone dialing, as I recall. Myself, it's easier to just run nginx+php-fpm on a VM.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • DA is the best option to move right now bcz of Cpanel however ur all requirements are there
    @WebProject DA is not slow i m personally using maybe if ur using default skin that causes some issue when internet is slow overall its good i have switched one server yet and other 9 or in under process :) Support of DA is also good and faster than Cpanel always response within 1-3 hours Max

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @Drukpa said:
    Due to cpanel's crazy stupid pricing, am planning to move to DA one of these weekends.

Have a server with about 800 accounts and am apprehensive about how smooth the migration will be.

Wondering if anyone here has successfully migrated a large server to DA without any issues. Would be nice to hear about your experience.

My current setup and the features I care about the most:

OpenVZ
    Engintron (Nginx acting as reverse proxy)
    Modsecurity
    Mod_ruid2
    Multi PHP
    Weekly backups to local and remote
    All mails routed through mailchannels
    Offloaded DNS to separate DNS-only VPS's
    Softaculous
    CSF firewall
    Maldet/Clam AV
    Letsencrypt AutoSSL

Everything is available with DA plus more:).

DA just works the way it supposed to be. Simple panel for users, meant for bit tech savvy users and not everyday high school kids.

It is nice, simple and does what is needed for your everyday users.

• niceboyniceboy Veteran
    edited July 2019

DA is good.

But, they need to make the learning curve lesser for an end user already familiar with CPanel.

Icon grid is the right step. Seems to be a long way.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Is there custom php.ini editing open per domain basis because I cant seem to find it.

@BharatB said:
    Is there custom php.ini editing open per domain basis because I cant seem to find it.

Nop. But you can enable custom php.ini then just load it in the site directory.

• smtalksmtalk Member

@BharatB said:

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=672

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

The problem is not with the speed , It's with half of these options are not exist with DA. and i still prefer the cpanel 2007 instead of this DA now.

I hope they can do some developments on this control panel, It needs alot of work inside it.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    I can tell you as a dumbass shared hosting user that I found cpanel as confusing as hell. I haven't really tried anything else yet.

am in the same boat here ... really still prefer to do CLI setups for the usual "Keep It Simple Stupid" stuff I tend to actually use, but am now playing around with the shared hosting setups so as to have some basis for recommendations "for a friend" etc.

First impression of DA vs cP from a noob perspective is leaning strongly toward DA both for the simplicity as well as some relatively intangible esthetics. And of course the copacetic presence of @DA_Mark on LET is a big plus as well - not to mention it would be nice to see how the worm turns for Oakley in a schadenfreude-enriched comeuppance sort of way, sticking it to the man and all that. LET's see what happens on that front - no big expectations for great justice really, but whatever ... it's all good in the hood.

Might suggest taking @Mic-hael's smallweb DA-based offer for a spin as a viable vehicle in pursuit of cheap thrill / test drive for DA from an end-user perspective. I think it's still just a few bucks to get one of those modest shared hosting deals for a year - if they're still in stock that is.

Have not yet done anything with DA from the VPS side but did get a free license from Inception, could do the same with BuyVM and a few others as well. Needless to say not sufficiently interested to mess around with cP on a VPS or server anymore since there is no low-end percentage in it - and my personal motivation is all about the idle curiosity anyway. So, several grains of salt and all that - I don't have any skin in the game from a reseller or service provider perspective.

But as a relative noob to all this newfangled point-and-click stuff, DA actually feels a lot more straightforward to deal with than my limited experience putzing around with cP has been - so far at least. Not much more to say about that, but there it is. It's enough for me to be comfortable recommending in most situations to people I care about who know even less about shared hosting than I do.

EDIT2: Sorry - I realize that all of the above commentary is mostly off-topic in terms of OP's question from a sysadmin / provider point of view!

• williewillie Member

Yeah I have a BuyVM slice that I could ask for DA on, but as you say, I'm not sufficiently motivated, and also I'm using that slice for enough other stuff that I don't want to take chances with putting it under an unfamiliar control panel.

I've been playing a little with HestiaCP on NanoKVM and on Vultr (i.e. I spun up brand new VM's just to play with Hestia) and I'm more comfortable with that route, since it means I can wipe or reinstall the VM if something goes wrong. Hestia is very simple compared with cpanel though. If DA is missing 50% of cpanel's features, Hestia is probably missing 90%.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

Drukpa said: OpenVZ
    Engintron (Nginx acting as reverse proxy)
    Modsecurity
    Mod_ruid2
    Multi PHP
    Weekly backups to local and remote
    All mails routed through mailchannels
    Offloaded DNS to separate DNS-only VPS's
    Softaculous
    CSF firewall
    Maldet/Clam AV
    Letsencrypt AutoSSL

ISP Manager has all of this.

• Engintron (Nginx acting as reverse proxy)
    • Modsecurity
    • Mod_ruid2

It is easy to install.

• Multi PHP:

• Letsencrypt AutoSSL:

• Weekly backups to local and remote

• CSF firewall

• Maldet/Clam AV

There is a choice yet. You can also set ClamAv.

• Offloaded DNS to separate DNS-only VPS's
      You can also do this through the DNS Manager.

• All mails routed through mailchannels

• Softaculous

• OpenVZ
      It is necessary to install on top of the ISP Manager, install the panel VMmanager OVZ.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • sweatbarsweatbar Member
    edited July 2019

@WebProject +1 for DA and I have migrated four cPanel servers to DA . DA is not slow may be you are talking about ajax part in page loading of Standard theme. Switch to Icon Grid theme and for the pricing DA is far more cheap than cPanel contact @DA_Mark and he will give you provider pricing and trust me his support is excellent and he is a friendly fellow .

• uptime said: Might suggest taking @Mic-hael's smallweb DA-based offer for a spin as a viable vehicle in pursuit of cheap thrill / test drive for DA from an end-user perspective. I think it's still just a few bucks to get one of those modest shared hosting deals for a year - if they're still in stock that is.

Danke!

There is 1x1.0GB and 1x0.5GB remaining in each location =]

Thanked by 1uptime