Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone moved to DA from cPanel yet?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone moved to DA from cPanel yet?

Due to cpanel's crazy stupid pricing, am planning to move to DA one of these weekends.

Have a server with about 800 accounts and am apprehensive about how smooth the migration will be.

Wondering if anyone here has successfully migrated a large server to DA without any issues. Would be nice to hear about your experience.

My current setup and the features I care about the most:

OpenVZ
Engintron (Nginx acting as reverse proxy)
Modsecurity
Mod_ruid2
Multi PHP
Weekly backups to local and remote
All mails routed through mailchannels
Offloaded DNS to separate DNS-only VPS's
Softaculous
CSF firewall
Maldet/Clam AV
Letsencrypt AutoSSL

Thanked by 1uptime

Comments

• pikepike Veteran

No, no one.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2019

Unfortunately for us the DA is not ready for production usage, the control panel is slow, more than half functionality is missing, so conclusion for us is pointless waste of money. The other alternative to cPanel is Plesk - faster, more option (including to migrate accounts).

The DA pricing is stupid (premium cost for non premium control panel): owner lifetime license is $299 + almost the same cost as cPanel per month ($99 per year) for upgrade and support!

Thanked by 2willie JasonM
  • active8active8 Member
    edited July 2019

Engintron (Nginx acting as reverse proxy) Nginx is possible

Modsecurity- Possible

Mod_ruid2 - Possible

Multi PHP - Possible

Weekly backups to local and remote - remote yes - backups with cron is possible incremental and differential with paid plugin

All mails routed through mailchannels - Not sure

Offloaded DNS to separate DNS-only VPS's - Possible with Directslave setup (see forum)

Softaculous - Possible

CSF firewall - Possible (plugin)

Maldet/Clam AV - Possible

Letsencrypt AutoSSL - Possible

• @WebProject said:
    Unfortunately for us the DA is not ready for production usage, the control panel is slow, more than half functionality is missing, so conclusion for us is pointless waste of money. The other alternative to cPanel is Plesk - faster, more option (including to migrate accounts).

The DA pricing is stupid (premium cost for non premium control panel): owner lifetime license is $299 + almost the same cost as cPanel per month ($99 per year) for upgrade and support!

Slow? Maybe you tested with a low resource VPS? We haven't seen any problem with the control panel speed.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

WebProject said: the control panel is slow

Slow? Really? It is much more fast than CPanel even in older hardware!

WebProject said: The DA pricing is stupid (premium cost for non premium control panel): owner lifetime license is $299 + almost the same cost as cPanel per month ($99 per year) for upgrade and support!

You compare oranges with apples and not even this... Monthly price for CPanel is $45, aka, $550 per year and only for 100 accounts. After that, the price is sky rocketing. And any shared hosting provider won't put less than 100 accounts to a server except if he is selling each account for $10 per month...

Drukpa said: Have a server with about 800 accounts

With 800 accounts, the monthly cost of the CPanel license only, will be $185 per month! Add on this Litespeed or Cloudlinux (extra), WHMCS (extra), Jetbackup (extra).

WebProject said: more than half functionality is missing

More than half functionality of CPanel is useless for the great majority of the end users. But still, this is the only valid point for someone keeping his CPanel servers than moving to DA. For now...
    And, CPanel at this "premium price" should, at least, include Jetbackup license and -at least- Cloudlinux license by default...

Drukpa said: Wondering if anyone here has successfully migrated a large server to DA without any issues. Would be nice to hear about your experience.

For migration, I don't know, but a lot of LET members are offering DA hosting. Migration seem to be painless (as I see in several threads on a lot of forums) but the interface and the functionality will be different from what an end user is used to.
    But, again, CPanel is just a panel. There was an era that a lot of providers started using it when Plesk was the leader of the industry. It was not a major issue then, for end users to enter in a new environment. Even more when most of the website admins either do have some knowledge to use their panel, or have tech guys to do that for them (and even for a beginner in tech industry, using any panel would not be an issue for him).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • donlidonli Member

@cenourinha said:

@WebProject said:

Slow? Maybe you tested with a low resource VPS? We haven't seen any problem with the control panel speed.

DA should be actually be faster than cPanel.

@active8 said:

Weekly backups to local and remote - remote yes - backups with cron is possible incremental and differential with paid plugin

Why do you need to pay for plugin if the DA control panel cost $29 per month? Cluster DNS required manually to rewrite configuration on server as so premium DA control panel don’t have such option!

@cenourinha said:

@WebProject said:

We did tests and compare to Plesk on the same node is slow!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

WebProject said: We did tests and compare to Plesk on the same node is slow!

Most of the admins claim that DA is faster than CPanel. But your tests proves different. OK, then... Have some proof for that? Benchmarks, hardware specs etc., to backup your claim?

@jvnadr said:

Most of the admins claim that DA is faster than CPanel. But your tests proves different. OK, then... Have some proof for that? Benchmarks, hardware specs etc., to backup your claim?

I don’t need to provide as we are not getting so called premium control panel as mentioned for us it’s slow compare to Plesk!

I am not against the DA, simply it’s not the worth money as clearly majority LET happy to pay, simple control panel like CentOS, ISPconfig or webmin will get you more functionality via web interface than DA control panel, this is a main reason the DA wasn’t popular till now.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • CoreyCorey Member
    edited July 2019

@WebProject said:

@jvnadr said:

I don’t need to provide as we are not getting so called premium control panel as mentioned for us it’s slow compare to Plesk!

I am not against the DA, simply it’s not the worth money as clearly majority LET happy to pay, simple control panel like CentOS, ISPconfig or webmin will get you more functionality via web interface than DA control panel, this is a main reason the DA wasn’t popular till now.

DA was popular since 10 years ago for people that wanted a good cPanel alternative. Welcome to the real world out from under your rock.

If you are a serious provider you should be looking at these ->

Internal Licenses
    Internal licenses are available to dedicated server providers or dedicated server resellers only. Web hosting companies must pay the above rates. Please contact us with a proof that your company is selling dedicated servers. The special pricing for your Client Area will be enabled after approval.

• LeeLee Veteran

WebProject said: Unfortunately for us the DA is not ready for production usage.

No idea what you are on about.

Slow? Bollocks quite frankly, must be your hardware.

Based on what? Oh, cPanel, a completely different panel?

WebProject said: The DA pricing is stupid (premium cost for non premium control panel): owner lifetime license is $299 + almost the same cost as cPanel per month ($99 per year) for upgrade and support!

cPanel is $45 minimum, plus per-user cost, DA is $29 and that is it. Depending on how you acquire your servers the cost of DA could be as low as zero. Sure the partner pricing with BuycPanel may get you cheaper licence soon but it won't be cheaper than DA.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have actually tested it. Don't get me wrong, it is not as polished as cPanel, it's different and there are some additions needed sooner rather than later but it's production-ready.

Thanked by 3MikePT uptime maverickp
  • lazytlazyt Member

It's not cpanel all my techs and I know is cpanel. DA makes us think. This makes our heads hurt so I'll bash DA and maybe cpanel will award me

• refikrefik Member
    edited July 2019

I moved from cPanel to DA. Its more faster than cP.

Note: if you plan to move you need to prepare DA with same config like as cP.

I use this tool for moving:

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58059&p=296438#post296438

Thanked by 1uptime
  • edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited July 2019

DirectAdmin is good, I prefer using it than CPanel since I could afford to buy its lifetime license (years ago), I only used cPanel when my clients needed my help for the panel they're using. I personally like simple control panels that provide only the essentials, everything extra is just an added bonus.

Recently, I've taken interest in FASTPANEL, it's good but am still not sure about its security. I'm already running it for some of my clients' site though. So far, so good.

• williewillie Member

I can tell you as a dumbass shared hosting user that I found cpanel as confusing as hell. I haven't really tried anything else yet.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @willie- try plesk, much simpler. Comes with nginx enabled. Also you can get a 3 domain license free at D0, Vultr, Lightsail to see how well it works for you (can run on a $5/mo instance)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I am currently using Plesk from OVH only because it was provided for free of charge.

Anything will be faster than Plesk.

Thanked by 2MikePT cybertech
  • williewillie Member

TinFoil2019 said: @willie- try plesk, much simpler.

I don't get to choose, I'm using cpanel at buyshared ($5/y) and similar. They are likely to switch to DA though. I personally wouldn't pay anything for a panel license on my own server. I use shared hosting to let someone else run the server ;).

I'm playing around a little with HestiaCP (fork of VestaCP) and it's nice, but rudimentary compared with cpanel.

• SovaSova Member

My 2-week experience so far with DA has been pretty nice. Definitely faster than Cpanel. Not the same amount of options as Cpanel but for the average Joe, more than enough.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • DirectAdmin has been consuming less resources and looks faster than cPanel for me

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

@WebProject said:

Not sure if I have picked this up correctly, but I do agree that compared to those other panels DA does look expensive. If DA can address some of the missing functionality (I previously mentioned Apache status), then it makes the cost much more palatable, IMHO.
    The recent updates to CSF apply to DA specifically (not exclusively), so it does show the momentum that DA has.
    https://download.configserver.com/csf/changelog.txt

I do prefer the look & feel of CentOSWebpanel though it isn't without issues. As with DA I'd like to see munin integration.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@WebProject said:

Slow? More than half functionality is missing? I would say you arent ready to manage a server yourself.
    Alternative is Plesk, owned by the same VC...right.
    You can also migrate cPanel accounts to DA.
    DA pricing is supid... Ok.

Stick to cPanel. Just dont migrate.

@cenourinha said:

@WebProject said:

He even said its not ready for production usage.

We are nothing but happy with DA.
    We LOVE DA! Fuck cPanel and Plesk.

@jvnadr said:

Slow? Really? It is much more fast than CPanel even in older hardware!

You compare oranges with apples and not even this... Monthly price for CPanel is $45, aka, $550 per year and only for 100 accounts. After that, the price is sky rocketing. And any shared hosting provider won't put less than 100 accounts to a server except if he is selling each account for $10 per month...

Drukpa said: Have a server with about 800 accounts

With 800 accounts, the monthly cost of the CPanel license only, will be $185 per month! Add on this Litespeed or Cloudlinux (extra), WHMCS (extra), Jetbackup (extra).

More than half functionality of CPanel is useless for the great majority of the end users. But still, this is the only valid point for someone keeping his CPanel servers than moving to DA. For now...
    And, CPanel at this "premium price" should, at least, include Jetbackup license and -at least- Cloudlinux license by default...

Drukpa said: Wondering if anyone here has successfully migrated a large server to DA without any issues. Would be nice to hear about your experience.

For migration, I don't know, but a lot of LET members are offering DA hosting. Migration seem to be painless (as I see in several threads on a lot of forums) but the interface and the functionality will be different from what an end user is used to.
    But, again, CPanel is just a panel. There was an era that a lot of providers started using it when Plesk was the leader of the industry. It was not a major issue then, for end users to enter in a new environment. Even more when most of the website admins either do have some knowledge to use their panel, or have tech guys to do that for them (and even for a beginner in tech industry, using any panel would not be an issue for him).

This guy just know how to manage a server. All he knows about is cPanel.

@jvnadr said:

He doesnt have any proofs nor arguments.

Thanked by 1maverickp

@WebProject said:

@jvnadr said:

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Plesk is just the slowest panel ever! Haha!!!

I really get upset with you saying its not worth money. You really dont know what you are saying.

Thanked by 2coolice maverickp

@Lee said:

WebProject said: Unfortunately for us the DA is not ready for production usage.

No idea what you are on about.

Slow? Bollocks quite frankly, must be your hardware.

Based on what? Oh, cPanel, a completely different panel?

cPanel is $45 minimum, plus per-user cost, DA is $29 and that is it. Depending on how you acquire your servers the cost of DA could be as low as zero. Sure the partner pricing with BuycPanel may get you cheaper licence soon but it won't be cheaper than DA.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have actually tested it. Don't get me wrong, it is not as polished as cPanel, it's different and there are some additions needed sooner rather than later but it's production-ready.

He has probably not been able to even install it because it asks questions and cPanel doesn't.

Thanked by 1Lee
    edited July 2019

@TinFoil2019 said:
    @willie- try plesk, much simpler. Comes with nginx enabled. Also you can get a 3 domain license free at D0, Vultr, Lightsail to see how well it works for you (can run on a $5/mo instance)

Fuck Plesk. Its not even that user friendly.
    By the way, what provider hosts your website? Or are you working for cPanel as mentioned in WHT that got your ass banned?

• LeeLee Veteran

MikePT said: He has probably not been able to even install it because it asks questions and cPanel doesn't.

To be honest, I am seeing a lot of questions/issues around DA that I am like, seriously, you must have come across that issue on cPanel, some things are no different, Linux is Linux. Just shows that some provider really do everything inside WHM.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • TinFoil2019TinFoil2019 Member
    edited July 2019

@mikept Yeah it takes a fucking rocket scientist to make it work LMAO. Just because you have fallen in love with DA like some hormone ravaged teenager, doesn't mean there isn't simple, solutions for others to use. Next you will shit on Lightsail and say it isn't hetzner. And if its so shitty- why did mailchannels write a plugin for it? Go ahead tell them its shit and its a waste of their time. Oh I forgot, your posts here are your personal opinion and don't reflect the measured. planned, well reasoned opinion of those you work for.

@Lee said:

MikePT said: He has probably not been able to even install it because it asks questions and cPanel doesn't.

To be honest, I am seeing a lot of questions/issues around DA that I am like, seriously, you must have come across that issue on cPanel, some things are no different, Linux is Linux. Just shows that some provider really do everything inside WHM.

Exactly.
    Btw, custombuild plugin (note, the plugin that enables its webui) already allows providers to do must stuff they need in the UI...

edited July 2019

@TinFoil2019 said:
    @mikept Yeah it takes a fucking rocket scientist to make it work LMAO. Just because you have fallen in love with DA like some hormone ravaged teenager, doesn't mean there isn't simple, solutions for others to use. Next you will shit on Lightsail and say it isn't hetzner. And if its so shitty- why did mailchannels write a plugin for it? Go ahead tell them its shit and its a waste of their time. Oh I forgot, your posts here are your personal opinion and don't reflect the measured. planned, well reasoned opinion of those you work for.

Heh. You are going too far mate. I am speaking on the hosting perspective. Not really about MC. And I wasnt going to shit on Lightsail.

Keep defending your company, I dont think you will last long here.
    And yes, I did fall in love with DA. I am not a teenager, probably older than you though.

Anyway, reported. Enjoy!