Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

non-profit hosting provider - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

non-profit hosting provider

2»

Comments

• riorio Member

@cybertech said:
    How about free? There are 2 on LET

Nothing is free, someone has to pay. In non-profit, donations and funding covers the cost.

• uptimeuptime Member

@rio is there a specific area of interest relating to your non-profit/charity or is this just a general inquiry for purposes unknown?

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@rio said:

You all misunderstood my point or I was unable to define clearly.
    Yes, I meant non-profit hosting provider for non-profit organizations/charity etc.
    I didn't meant free hosting, nor did I meant their user other than non-profit org.

Were you looking for web-hosting for non profits or something more like a VPS ?

• riorio Member

@uptime said:
    @rio is there a specific area of interest relating to your non-profit/charity or is this just a general inquiry for purposes unknown?

@donli said:

@rio said:

Yes, I meant non-profit hosting provider for non-profit organizations/charity etc.
    I didn't meant free hosting, nor did I meant their user other than non-profit org.

Were you looking for web-hosting for non profits or something more like a VPS ?

I am not looking for any provider, I just want to discuss this topic with community.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@rio said:

@donli said:
    Why would a non-profit exist to provide hosting, unless the hosting they provided was for other non-profits or the poor ?

Some of the for-profit companies have special deals for non-profit organizations.

Is there a specific reason you are looking for a non-profit host ?

Do you have a non-profit organization that needs hosting ?

Your original Q was unclear and reading the updated Q, the UK company I posted comes to mind since Nonprofits are their TG

• riorio Member

@vyas11 said:

@rio said:

@donli said:
    Why would a non-profit exist to provide hosting, unless the hosting they provided was for other non-profits or the poor ?

Some of the for-profit companies have special deals for non-profit organizations.

Your original Q was vague. Google Microsoft and I believe DO all have plans for nonprofits.

Sorry for being vague, just learning to ask questions.

• uptimeuptime Member

Well alrighty then.

Please proceed to discuss.

What's new ... what's happening ... what's fresh ?

Thanked by 1rio
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

There is probably no provider that offers free hosting without gaining any profit from it. Whether that's ultimately economical, social, cultural or symbolic (or any other type of) capital differs. Some offer free hosting to upsell (e.g. Infinityfree), some to upsell/spread their brand (wordpress.com), others might for recognition or status (e.g. "We are supporting xxx projects..") and some to beta test their software or whatever.

Anyway, nobody's doing free hosting entirely for "free".

Edit: xxx might have not been the best variable to choose as an example )

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@rio said:

So there are 2 aspects. Non-profit organizations that provide hosting, and organizations that offer free/low-cost hosting to non-profit organizations.

For a list of some companies that offer free hosting to non-profit (501(c)(3)) organizations in the US, see:
    http://forums.techsoup.org/cs/community/f/24/t/30974.aspx

Thanked by 2rio uptime
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@rio said:

@vyas11 said:

@rio said:

@donli said:

Your original Q was vague. Google Microsoft and I believe DO all have plans for nonprofits.

And I am just learning to give not so vague answers. On nextcloud site, Green net’s pitch is
    “ A not-for-profit collective since 1985, we provide UK-based Nextcloud and Collabora hosting to supporters of peace, the environment and human rights.”

I suppose that qualifies as direct answer to your Q. the assumption here is that organizations these guys cater to -”supporters of peace, environment and human rights” are also nonprofits, which they typically tend to be.
    Cheers

Thanked by 1rio
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@vyas11 said:

And I am just learning to give not so vague answers. On nextcloud site, Green net’s pitch is
    “ A not-for-profit collective since 1985, we provide UK-based Nextcloud and Collabora hosting to supporters of peace, the environment and human rights.”

I suppose that qualifies as direct answer to your Q. the assumption here is that organizations these guys cater to -”supporters of peace, environment and human rights” are also nonprofits, which they typically tend to be.
    Cheers

There's a Wikipedia paga about them even:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GreenNet

Flashback time.:

GreenNet developed a Fido gateway,

But we see again, that non-profit doesn't necessarily mean cheap:

https://www.greennet.org.uk/

Hosting packages for all needs from £7.20 per month

Minimum 1GB+ of web space, POP, IMAP and webmail access, domain registration and more.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@donli said:

@vyas11 said:

Cheers

There's a Wikipedia paga about them even:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GreenNet

Great. I was reluctant to add a link to a company that i have no dealings with.

• uptimeuptime Member

@rio - what's your angle here?

• riorio Member
    edited July 2019

@uptime said:

rio said: Yes, I meant non-profit hosting provider for non-profit organizations/charity etc. I didn't meant free hosting, nor did I meant their user other than non-profit org.

My angle is somewhat aligned now as I am reading comments and knowing how non-profit hosting providers works and companies which provide hosting to non-profit with a proof.

• uptimeuptime Member

I mean - are you looking for hosting, or looking to provide hosting, or what?

• donlidonli Member

@uptime said:

Maybe he has a term paper due.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

One of the worst questions ever on LET.

Non-profit hosting company, what a laugh.

Thanked by 1rio
  • WolfWolf Member

HostMantis oh. wait.

• riorio Member

@uptime said:

Thinking to start a non-profit hosting with donations and funding. But not gunning for provider tag here and this is my promise, I am not.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

There used to be a company called GrassRoots.org (here's a archived site copy - https://web.archive.org/web/20160502233820/http://www.grassroots.org/). They would offer tools (and I think free hosting) to non-profit orgs.

Also had a place for volunteers to sign up to help out non-profits. I was signed up there and did a few web designs for some animal shelters/NPO's when I was first learning web design to gain some experience.

But that's all irrelevant now since they don't appear to be active anywhere anymore. I guess the point is there are organizations and sympathetic providers out there, you just have to know where to look and who to talk to.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

@rio said:

@uptime said:

Thinking to start a non-profit hosting with donations and funding. But not gunning for provider tag here and this is my promise, I am not.

I see. Sounds legit.

I was just wondering what kind of projects all the helpful people here might be facilitating after a quick perusal of your other recent thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158890/free-vps-with-a-little-trick/p1

Thanked by 1rio
  • kasslekassle Member

still no understand what OP wants. but there is @Neoon & @MasonR vps'es ... no ?

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@rio said:

@uptime said:

Why don't you acquire da-Mantis?

Thanked by 1rio
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

@rio said:
    Is there any organization which is completely non-profit and still provide hosting?

Last but not the least google dot org

Thanked by 1rio
  • riorio Member

@kassle said:
    still no understand what OP wants. but there is @Neoon & @MasonR vps'es ... no ?

I got here what I was searching for.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Bopie said: I'm not sure how this would work, For instance without profit how does one buy the hardware needed, Selling at cost price would mean cheap for us but for the companies there would be no money to pay staff, No money for hardware replacement and upgrades.

Technically money used to pay for equipment/staff is not profit. Those are expenses. Non profits still have margins, just like for profit companies and organizations, but those 'profits' are not for the 'owners'. They are either put back into the program, or in the case of charities, used to fund charitable projects.

Thanked by 1rio
  • From here, you can consider SDF, NYX, NinthFloor and HCoop.

Thanked by 2rio donli
  • @joepie91 said:

@failhostings said:

@joepie91 said:

Bopie said: For instance without profit how does one buy the hardware needed, Selling at cost price would mean cheap for us but for the companies there would be no money to pay staff, No money for hardware replacement and upgrades.

Huh? "Non-profit" doesn't mean that you can't have a margin on the services you sell, it just (more or less) means that profits cannot be paid out to shareholders and must be reinvested into the organization. It's totally viable to operate a non-profit hosting company.

@failhostings said:
    What the fuck did I just read? Even if someone do such this the crybabies won't want because they will need to be verified at blood level because we all know free hosting = drugs, nazis, homophobes, terrorists, pedophiles.
    The only free host I rember giving vpses also is host1free but they closed due this.

It also doesn't mean "free".

Well yeah they had ads on website and control panel and for sure they sold your email address for spam.

No, what I'm saying is that "non-profit doesn't mean free". The OP asked for a non-profit provider, not a free VPS, so I'm not sure what your points about free hosting have to do with anything.

See the new thread by op lol

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I shall blame summer.

Thanked by 1failhostings