Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

non-profit hosting provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

non-profit hosting provider

riorio Member
edited July 2019 in General

Is there any organization which is completely non-profit and still provide hosting?

Comments

• BopieBopie Member

I'm not sure how this would work, For instance without profit how does one buy the hardware needed, Selling at cost price would mean cheap for us but for the companies there would be no money to pay staff, No money for hardware replacement and upgrades.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2019

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/company

an organization that sells goods or services in order to make money

Yeah, no.

• riorio Member

@sanvit said:
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/company

an organization that sells goods or services in order to make money

Yeah, no.

fixed

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • riorio Member

@Bopie said:
    I'm not sure how this would work, For instance without profit how does one buy the hardware needed, Selling at cost price would mean cheap for us but for the companies there would be no money to pay staff, No money for hardware replacement and upgrades.

There are a lot of non-profit organization other than hosting which provide services based on donation and funding.

• What the fuck did I just read? Even if someone do such this the crybabies won't want because they will need to be verified at blood level because we all know free hosting = drugs, nazis, homophobes, terrorists, pedophiles.
    The only free host I rember giving vpses also is host1free but they closed due this.

• aidahoaidaho Member

@rio said:
    Is there any organization which is completely non-profit and still provide hosting?

If you equate non-profit with cheap, I can recommend getting a taste of such experience with CloudAtCost.
    Paying for their famous lifetime offer I've got no profit whatsoever, and, technically speaking, they did provide a VPS.

If you do go with cloudatcost, don't forget to buckle up: the ride is going to be wild.

Thanked by 1NerdUno
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Bopie said: For instance without profit how does one buy the hardware needed, Selling at cost price would mean cheap for us but for the companies there would be no money to pay staff, No money for hardware replacement and upgrades.

Huh? "Non-profit" doesn't mean that you can't have a margin on the services you sell, it just (more or less) means that profits cannot be paid out to shareholders and must be reinvested into the organization. It's totally viable to operate a non-profit hosting company.

@failhostings said:
    What the fuck did I just read? Even if someone do such this the crybabies won't want because they will need to be verified at blood level because we all know free hosting = drugs, nazis, homophobes, terrorists, pedophiles.
    The only free host I rember giving vpses also is host1free but they closed due this.

It also doesn't mean "free".

• @joepie91 said:

Bopie said: For instance without profit how does one buy the hardware needed, Selling at cost price would mean cheap for us but for the companies there would be no money to pay staff, No money for hardware replacement and upgrades.

Huh? "Non-profit" doesn't mean that you can't have a margin on the services you sell, it just (more or less) means that profits cannot be paid out to shareholders and must be reinvested into the organization. It's totally viable to operate a non-profit hosting company.

@failhostings said:
    What the fuck did I just read? Even if someone do such this the crybabies won't want because they will need to be verified at blood level because we all know free hosting = drugs, nazis, homophobes, terrorists, pedophiles.

Well yeah they had ads on website and control panel and for sure they sold your email address for spam.

@failhostings said:

@joepie91 said:

@failhostings said:

Well yeah they had ads on website and control panel and for sure they sold your email address for spam.

No, what I'm saying is that "non-profit doesn't mean free". The OP asked for a non-profit provider, not a free VPS, so I'm not sure what your points about free hosting have to do with anything.

• donlidonli Member

Why would a non-profit exist to provide hosting, unless the hosting they provided was for other non-profits or the poor ?

Some of the for-profit companies have special deals for non-profit organizations.

Is there a specific reason you are looking for a non-profit host ?

Do you have a non-profit organization that needs hosting ?

edited July 2019

Also, yes, there is actually a non-profit hosting provider that I just recalled, vpsFree.

• donlidonli Member

@joepie91 said:
    Also, yes, there is actually a non-profit hosting provider that I just recalled, vpsFree.

https://kb.vpsfree.org/information/membership_fees

You pay for three months in advance – either 900 CZK or 36 euro.

@donli said:

@joepie91 said:

https://kb.vpsfree.org/information/membership_fees

You pay for three months in advance – either 900 CZK or 36 euro.

Yes, and? Did you not read the several comments I've made in this thread pointing out that "non-profit" does not mean "free"?

• donlidonli Member

@joepie91 said:

Yes, and? Did you not read the several comments I've made in this thread pointing out that "non-profit" does not mean "free"?

And it's not cheap either.

• uptimeuptime Member

nor is it profitable, apparently

• How about free? There are 2 on LET

• ITLabsITLabs Member

There are some academic organizations that provide cloud instances for research purposes. Take a look at Fiware Foundation:

http://infographic.lab.fiware.org/

Thanked by 2uptime rio
  • uptimeuptime Member

@ITLabs said:
    There are some academic organizations that provide cloud instances for research purposes. Take a look at Fiware Foundation:

Low-end hug of death incoming ...

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@uptime said:

@ITLabs said:

Well, they're a long running EU program immune (I hope) to low-end "intruders".

https://www.fiware.org/community/fiware-accelerator-programme/

Thanked by 1uptime
  • donlidonli Member

@ITLabs said:

@uptime said:

@ITLabs said:

Well, they're a long running EU program immune (I hope) to low-end "intruders".

https://www.fiware.org/community/fiware-accelerator-programme/

There are currently no open calls to apply for.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@donli said:

So they're safe for now :lol:

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@ITLabs said:

scam! I have filed complaint with the EU.

• donlidonli Member

@ITLabs said:

@donli said:

So they're safe for now :lol:

I don't know. What do they mean by "open call" ?

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@donli An open call, within the EU, is a period of time during the year when applications could be submitted. One can apply for funding, resources, mentoring etc.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls_en

Thanked by 1donli
  • donlidonli Member

@ITLabs said:
    @donli An open call, within the EU, is a period of time during the year when applications could be submitted. One can apply for funding, resources, mentoring etc.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls_en

Why thank you for the clear explanation of that phrase.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited July 2019

There are some, some specialize in free software hosting, other in political stuff (like riseup). I doubt there are non-profit platforms open to any kind of project (including commercial ones).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

I think either one of the owncloud or nextcloud providers was one such.

Added later: nextcloud dot com/providers/ Green net I believe and I see a coop. Not sure how they are legally structured. UK folks may be able to comment.

<< more addition >> I am associated with a non-profit. They do make money, even earn profit in purely P&L terms. But they are required to (and reinvest) the profits back in the business, add to cash reserves. Principals do not get a dividend, some employees may get a bonus.

@donli said:

@joepie91 said:

And it's not cheap either.

... and? It meets the requirement set out in the OP, namely "non-profit".

• riorio Member

@donli said:
    Why would a non-profit exist to provide hosting, unless the hosting they provided was for other non-profits or the poor ?

Some of the for-profit companies have special deals for non-profit organizations.

Is there a specific reason you are looking for a non-profit host ?

Do you have a non-profit organization that needs hosting ?

You all misunderstood my point or I was unable to define clearly.
    Yes, I meant non-profit hosting provider for non-profit organizations/charity etc.
    I didn't meant free hosting, nor did I meant their user other than non-profit org.