Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you like to see Hetzner offer cheap DirectAdmin licenses?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you like to see Hetzner offer cheap DirectAdmin licenses?

AmitzAmitz Member
edited July 2019 in Providers

So, folks...
Tell @Hetzner_OL if you would like to see Hetzner offer DirectAdmin licenses (preferably cheaper than buying direct) with their server offerings, please kindly cast your vote now!

This all goes back to @emgh's idea. All credits to him. He's great and smells good.

Hetzner & Directadmin
  1. Would you like Hetzner to offer DirectAdmin licenses?143 votes
    1. Hell! Yeah! Please!
      79.72%
    2. I am grumpy and my parents did not love me enough!
      20.28%

Comments

• CoffeeCoffee Member

Hetzner + DA + Singapore expansion kthx.

Thanked by 2Faizi mrclown
  • boerndboernd Member

They have Plesk licenses as far as i know.

• BopieBopie Member

I offer DA on my Hetzer VPS offerings ;) but I agree it would be nice, I know for a fact hetzner could make an amazing deal with DA and get their cost price down massively and if anything like others could offer it free.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • emghemgh Member

Hand me the credit for the idea maybe, handsome?

• emghemgh Member

Edit: and free for their cloud line. That's my idea.

Thanked by 2Bopie lovelyserver
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@emgh said:

Added. Fucked up the poll. However. Added.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@Amitz said:

@emgh said:

Added. Fucked up the poll. However. Added.

Well the votes are better now then before so wise either way. Thank you mister.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • I would like to see it, but I am also grumpy and my parents did not love me enough.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@AuroraZ said:
    I would like to see it, but I am also grumpy and my parents did not love me enough.

Vote both.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

$0.07/month tks.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Sorry for jumping here, BUUUUUT, I do have internal pricing (not for free as Francisco :( ), and will be reselling Hetzner Cloud VPS'es as those rock and we're fans. The Internal License will cost 5€, where for Dedicateds it costs 19€, not sure if that's good enough tho.
    I'm pretty sure Hetzner could just get those for free like Fran does. :P

• BopieBopie Member

@MikePT said:
    Sorry for jumping here, BUUUUUT, I do have internal pricing (not for free as Francisco :( ), and will be reselling Hetzner Cloud VPS'es as those rock and we're fans. The Internal License will cost 5€, where for Dedicateds it costs 19€, not sure if that's good enough tho.

Same pricing i have ;) expect its $5/m for VPS and $14/m for dedicated or am i mistaken

@Bopie said:

@MikePT said:

Same pricing i have ;) expect its $5/m for VPS and $14/m for dedicated or am i mistaken

Correct, sorry, should be 14€, we're offering it close to the cost. My apologies.

• LeeLee Veteran

MikePT said: and will be reselling Hetzner Cloud VPS'es as those rock and we're fans. The Internal License will cost 5€, where for Dedicateds it costs 19€, not sure if that's good enough tho.

Clarify that. You are reselling Hetzner's own cloud service and that qualifies for an internal DA licence?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • LeviLevi Member

Lee said: Clarify that.

If you have legitimate business (registered LTD or smth.) than you can sell internal licenses.

As per their website:

Internal licenses are available to dedicated server providers or dedicated server resellers only. Web hosting companies must pay the above rates. Please contact us with a proof that your company is selling dedicated servers. The special pricing for your Client Area will be enabled after approval.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • YES! I need this in my life.

• emghemgh Member

@Coffee said:
    Hetzner + DA + Singapore expansion kthx.

I think that apart from Singapore what would higher their revenue would the US as well. New York on Hetzner would be impressive. Not that I'd use it, I mainly use EU locations, but it's a huge market and their offerings would be competitive in the US as well. If they can make it work that is.

• xaocxaoc Member

Hell yeah... but also the second choice! Could we also get one of those perfume samples in the mail with every license?

• donlidonli Member

@xaoc said:
    Hell yeah... but also the second choice! Could we also get one of those perfume samples in the mail with every license?

If you want a perfume sample with your VPS you have to go with cociu not Hetzner.

Thanked by 1xaoc

@Lee said:

MikePT said: and will be reselling Hetzner Cloud VPS'es as those rock and we're fans. The Internal License will cost 5€, where for Dedicateds it costs 19€, not sure if that's good enough tho.

Clarify that. You are reselling Hetzner's own cloud service and that qualifies for an internal DA licence?

Yeah, you may.

• williewillie Member

I don't understand why buy cloud servers from a reseller instead of direct, but if it works for you then great.

$5/m is much more than I would pay for DA, especially on a 2.49 euro/m cloud vps. If they do a $7/year lite license that might be of interest.

If Hetzner offers it for free it must still be driving up their internal costs somehow, that gets reflected in VM pricing. In that case I'd be ok with Hetzner offering it for free if it costs end users up to a few cents per month per VM. Otherwise I'd vote against it, if this were a vote.

It might make some sense to offer one of the FOSS control panels in one of their standard templates. I'm sure some users could benefit from that.

willie said: I don't understand why buy cloud servers from a reseller instead of direct, but if it works for you then great.

$5/m is much more than I would pay for DA, especially on a 2.49 euro/m cloud vps. If they do a $7/year lite license that might be of interest.

If Hetzner offers it for free it must still be driving up their internal costs somehow, that gets reflected in VM pricing. In that case I'd be ok with Hetzner offering it for free if it costs end users up to a few cents per month per VM. Otherwise I'd vote against it, if this were a vote.

It might make some sense to offer one of the FOSS control panels in one of their standard templates. I'm sure some users could benefit from that.

DA is worth more than 5 USD/mo, trust me. ;P

Thanked by 1kp93
  • emghemgh Member

@MikePT said:

willie said: I don't understand why buy cloud servers from a reseller instead of direct, but if it works for you then great.

DA is worth more than 5 USD/mo, trust me. ;P

When you put it like that, but is a control panel worth twice the price of the VM?

emgh said: When you put it like that, but is a control panel worth twice the price of the VM?

Such a comparison doesn't make sense. Hetzner is cheap, as is DA.
    I'm sure plenty of people are running cPanel on Hetzner and it surely costs much more than the VPS.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

I'm sure plenty of people are running cPanel on Hetzner

I don't understand this. Maybe a very few users are paying for cpanel on small vps. It could make more sense on their very large vps that are used for hosting or whatever, but then the costs balance out more.

I've used cpanel and it's nice but I wouldn't personally pay $5/month for it. I haven't used DA but can't imagine what it could do that would make it so much better than cpanel.

These costs are too high by at least 10x. I don't understand why people here are treating DA like some kind of saviour that we should all be sacrificing to. Nothing against the product or the company but it's just another proprietary software package that most of us don't have much use for, and for which there are FOSS substitutes (maybe not as good) available for those who want a panel at all. If I wanted a panel I'd try VestaCP first and see what kind of shortcomings it has, and maybe fix them. I know cpanel and DA have more features, but I'm not a sophisticated enough panel user to know what they are, and I probably don't care about them.

Thanked by 1emgh
    edited July 2019

willie said: I don't understand this. Maybe a very few users are paying for cpanel on small vps. It could make more sense on their very large vps that are used for hosting or whatever, but then the costs balance out more.

I've used cpanel and it's nice but I wouldn't personally pay $5/month for it. I haven't used DA but can't imagine what it could do that would make it so much better than cpanel.

These costs are too high by at least 10x. I don't understand why people here are treating DA like some kind of saviour that we should all be sacrificing to. Nothing against the product or the company but it's just another proprietary software package that most of us don't have much use for, and for which there are FOSS substitutes (maybe not as good) available for those who want a panel at all. If I wanted a panel I'd try VestaCP first and see what kind of shortcomings it has, and maybe fix them. I know cpanel and DA have more features, but I'm not a sophisticated enough panel user to know what they are, and I probably don't care about them.

>

It all depends on what the user needs/wants. On a bigger instance, it may just be worth moving to a Dedicated Server, more CPU, RAM, IO and disk space.
    There's plenty of market for such products, and I welcome any company to offer their product - it's the right time for that. You may not need it, but many other people do.

Edit: I do agree that reselling VPS doesn't make much sense. I'm planning on getting a node soon, if things work out!
    Or if I'm unable to resist.

• xaocxaoc Member

@donli said:

@xaoc said:

If you want a perfume sample with your VPS you have to go with cociu not Hetzner.

Oh, i was referring to a @emgh sample. wink

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited July 2019

@xaoc said:

@donli said:

@xaoc said:

Oh, i was referring to a @emgh sample. wink

Here you go. https://liquidmoney.com/products/his-money.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

MikePT said: You may not need it, but many other people do.

Exactly. I don't need it, and frankly nobody really needs it. So why should I pay to subsidize licenses for people who want them? That's what I think this proposal is about (Hetzner buying some giant DA license that lets them offer free DA instances to their cloud users). Of course a pass-through deal from Hetzner or anyone else that let people buy their own licenses at a discount would be perfectly fine. I wouldn't pay anywhere near $5/month for it myself, but other people would, and I'd possibly consider it if the price was low enough (like 1/10th of that).

Big cloud instances do have attractions over dedis, fwiw. The host does more of the management for you, you can spin them up and down and resize them on demand, they offer replicated disks (Ceph) so they can auto-migrate from crashed host nodes, etc. That's why AWS, GCP, etc. get so much business. For my purposes I'm satisfied with dedis but I'd consider replacing them with cloud instances if my requirements and budget were a bit different.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LeeLee Veteran

MikePT said: Yeah, you may.

Pretty dodgy to be honest, but oh well.

Thanked by 1emgh