Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use for email? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use for email?

2»

Comments

• DedispecDedispec Member, Patron Provider

Our business utilizes a Microsoft Exchange server which we all enjoy but I will say Google's business solutions for email are pretty nice (I utilize them for some side projects).

So far though I am a fan of Google Business solutions and a Microsoft Exchange setup since both can manage/sync your emails and calendars efficiently.

• @dhamaniasad said:
    How did you do that?

Whenever you register for an administrator account with google apps you supply an alternate email which is NEVER on the same domain hence saving you from exactly what is happening right now i.e. when you cannot get in. You can use this email to recover the password or by proving your domain ownership through a cname record.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/33561?hl=en

In case you have lost access to that email as well then choose the verification through CNAME. This will definitely work.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2013

@dhamaniasad said:
    It asks for my domain and then the admin account, details of which I don't remember, been around 3 years.

Direct url https://admin.google.com/YOURDOMAIN.com/VerifyAdminAccountPasswordReset to reset password through CNAME as @raza19 suggested (replace "YOURDOMAIN.com" with your own domain). Account from 2010 should have around 25 - 50 GApps licenses by my experience.

• raza19 said: Whenever you register for an administrator account with google apps you supply an alternate email which is NEVER on the same domain hence saving you from exactly what is happening right now i.e. when you cannot get in. You can use this email to recover the password or by proving your domain ownership through a cname record.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/33561?hl=en

In case you have lost access to that email as well then choose the verification through CNAME. This will definitely work.

Yeah, looks like I don't remember what that email address was.

Spirit said: Direct url https://admin.google.com/YOURDOMAIN.com/VerifyAdminAccountPasswordReset to reset password through CNAME as @raza19 suggested (replace "YOURDOMAIN.com" with your own domain). Account from 2010 should have around 25 - 50 GApps licenses by my experience.

Tried that, got this;

Server error
    Sorry, you've reached a login page for a domain that isn't using Google Apps. Please check the web address and try again.

And I did change from YOURDOMAIN.com to my own domain. I could bet my life on the fact that I was using Google Apps, just found out that it was in late 2011, but still, I was using Google Apps.

Also, if I try to reset the password for the admin account, which was at my own domain, I get this :

This account was deleted and is no longer recoverable. [?]

Is it possible that I completely removed Google Apps from my domain somehow? Or Google did?

• Google Apps & Thunderbird, or mutt. Works fine for me. And of course my own backup software for email

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited November 2013

@dhamaniasad said:
    Is it possible that I completely removed Google Apps from my domain somehow? Or Google did?

Very unlikely, unless you nuked the account on purpose by choosing to deactivate or sth! Because frankly google does not frequently check mx records of a domain after once having setting it up successfully. So once its setup, mail or no mail google will continue to keep your app records.

But just be sure to follow the process, the documentation says you must first
    1) Start the reset
    2) Then Verify your domain via CNAME changes

If it still doesnt work then what I think you should do is contact google's support & let them know of the entire ordeal. I'm sure they will help, it says on the page "Or you may use the domain verification method or contact support."

source:https://support.google.com/a/answer/33561?hl=en

• raza19 said: Very unlikely, unless you nuked the account on purpose by choosing to deactivate or sth! Because frankly google does not frequently check mx records of a domain after once having setting it up successfully. So once its setup, mail or no mail google will continue to keep your app records.

But just be sure to follow the process, the documentation says you must first 1) Start the reset 2) Then Verify your domain via CNAME changes

If it still doesnt work then what I think you should do is contact google's support & let them know of the entire ordeal. I'm sure they will help, it says on the page "Or you may use the domain verification method or contact support."

I guess I did choose to deactivate/unsubscribe. I have an email in my gmail account which says something about me unsubscribing from Google Apps. In that case, would I be able to get the 10 free accounts I had at that time back? As in not the data in them or the accounts themselves, just the 10 account limit? If not, what else can I use? I want to have my mailboxes done as cheap as possible, but I don't want to setup a VPS or dedicated server for them even if its cheaper that way, I'd rather use an established solution for my email. I barely need 2 mailboxes.

• @dhamaniasad said:
    I barely need 2 mailboxes.

Hmm, pm me with your domain details, maybe I can setup these 2 accounts on the slots I have lying free.

• i use google app with 10 free users ... :D

• raza19 said: Hmm, pm me with your domain details, maybe I can setup these 2 accounts on the slots I have lying free.

I just got myself a namecheap email hosting account for free for a complete year, so I don't require the mailboxes anymore. Thanks for your offer though, really appreciate it.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2013

@dhamaniasad said:
    and its microsoft

Microsoft bashing is so last decade.

• @Dylan said:
    Microsoft bashing is so last decade.

Well actually, I'm an open-source advocate and after the NSA/PRISM and all those scary things, I'll never trust Microsoft with my data again. Also, its not like Microsoft is all rainbows and unicorns now, is it?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Microsoft came a long way since the SCO fiasco. It is not the white knight in a shining armor, but i fear more oracle/google nowadays.

• I don't really like Google as well, that's why I did not use Google Apps. I'd rather do everything on my own using self-hosted apps/other alternatives than trust Google with my data. Only thing, there is nothing better than Google for search, so I have to use Google as my search engine. I only use MySQL/VirtualBox from Oracle, both of which are open source, so haven't got any problems with them. But I do dislike Microsoft.

• ^ I have been using DuckDuckGo for search for about the last two quarters or so, and am quite happy with the results I have received, even for odd items. So far, I have broke down about a hand full of times to use Goog or something else in the last few quarters, when I used to do about 70 google searches a day. I would say to try out another search engine -- you maybe surprised how close the results are and you get to keep some of your privacy...compared to the other search companies.