Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use for email?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use for email?

What do providers here use for email?
I was utilising a VPS for it, but sadly that doesn't work.
I've had a look at mandrill, it looks like an attractive choice. Also had a look at sendgrid. But then Amazon SES is half the price, and its Amazon. Any other good alternatives?
Also, this is only SMTP, do most providers not use IMAP or POP3? If they do, what do they use for that? Zoho or something? But that requires them to keep their SMTP with them as well, so I don't think Zoho would be an option.
What do you use for SMTP, and what do you do about IMAP/POP?

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

Incoming (Postfix) and Dovecot on server I physically control, outgoing (Postfix relay) on a VPS with DKIM/SPF.

• @perennate said:
    Incoming (Postfix) and Dovecot on server I physically control, outgoing (Postfix relay) on a VPS with DKIM/SPF.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mydomain.com
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

emailid@live.nl:
    Connected to 65.54.188.126 but sender was rejected.
    Remote host said: 550 SC-001 (BAY0-MC4-F15) Unfortunately, messages from (myip) weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.

I don't assume you ever got this problem, did you?

• A couple vps for two mail servers.
    OpenBSd or FreeBSD, and the regular unix/linux stuff: postfix, dovecot, database, etc.
    Instead of spending time putting it all by hand I install a nice script: iredmail.org. Everything runs very well, so I just forget about it.

• @abravo said:
    A couple vps for two mail servers.
    OpenBSd or FreeBSD, and the regular unix/linux stuff: postfix, dovecot, database, etc.
    Instead of spending time putting it all by hand I install a nice script: iredmail.org. Everything runs very well, so I just forget about it.

Alright, and if I prefer something like sendgrid, what should I opt for?

• @abravo said:
    A couple vps for two mail servers.

Are you using Free version?

• Yes, i use the free version. In fact the extra functionalities of the paid version can be done on the command line

Thanked by 1thuvienvps
  • @dhamaniasad said:
    I don't assume you ever got this problem, did you?

The bounce you received is Microsoft being a d*ck, even new IP addresses that never have been used are being blocked.

They only allow IP's that have a good reputation with them, but they don't give you much chance to build a reputation. I'd advice you to take a look at the link in the bounce, it could improve your rep.

• rldowling03rldowling03 Member
    edited November 2013

I keep it simple.

Incoming: Google Apps (5 user)
    Outgoing: Mandrill (Free Account)

Works perfectly for my small usage

• Google apps is great, I have google apps the old version on a couple of domains I own 50 free users

• I am a light user so I use google apps for most of my email. I do have postfix with dkim for the odd outgoing email from my server.

• @perennate said:

Why a relay?

• @xDutchy said:
    The bounce you received is Microsoft being a d*ck, even new IP addresses that never have been used are being blocked.

They only allow IP's that have a good reputation with them, but they don't give you much chance to build a reputation. I'd advice you to take a look at the link in the bounce, it could improve your rep.

I even got bounces from att.net and all hotmail and live domains, so seems like microsoft and at&t have problems with my ip.

Anyways, I decided on using Mandrill for the email, if I use it for the SMTP, can I still use something like Google Apps for the incoming as well as outgoing mail? I don't know if I can keep a mailbox with Mandrill, probably not, but I'd like to have IMAP/POP in order to receive emails, plus a mailbox from where I can send emails from rather than using Mandrill for everything. If sending from both of them isn't possible though, I'll happily use Mandrill, they're pretty cheap IMHO.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

when I use to use kloxo.. their mail worked great, never had any mail bounce.. and I use to install it on most of my vps's

• Using my kimsufi 2g with Kloxo-mr for email xD

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@sc754 said:
    Using my kimsufi 2g with Kloxo-mr for email xD

I had a lot of issues with kloxo-mr, not sure if it has been improved or not. I also like that you can use webmail like squirrel and roundcube mail with kloxo..

another alternative is now webuzo, when I tried they had a lot of issues with getting the scripts to instal but things like DNS, Mail worked great, but I think you need at least a 512mb VPS..

• @earl said:

Yeah I just don't update it too regularly since it's always getting broke. Seems like there are a lot less problems now then in the past, it's not broke for me once so far. I'm using afterlogic webmail with it too xD

Thanked by 1earl
  • TsumeTsume Member
    edited November 2013

You can use outlook.com as your email host for free. Recently found out about it myself. Very preferable then going through the hassle of setting up an email server + spam protection + white/black listing. As the saying goes. "Anit no body got time fa dat"

https://domains.live.com/

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@taronyu said:

Oh, because the one that's physically under my control has port 25 outgoing blocked.

• I use postfix/dovecot on a VPS.

• Live Domains & SendGrid

• Mailgun. :)

• Microsoft Exchange 2010.

• Google app all the way!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We use mandrill. My own company mail I host myself but is very light traffic, some 4-5 mails a day.

• Zarafa

• @Tsume said:
    You can use outlook.com as your email host for free. Recently found out about it myself. Very preferable then going through the hassle of setting up an email server + spam protection + white/black listing. As the saying goes. "Anit no body got time fa dat"

They reduced the number of account from 500 to 50 now.

For all new account, you need to verify your phone no before you can send mail. A lot of restriction now. They don't have catch all email and adding new alias with your domain, you need 3rd party tools.

I still using google free apps. I still have 30+ domains with free google apps with 10, 50, 100, 1000, 2000 and even a rare 2,000,000 free account.

• Tsume said:

It is a good option to have if you don't have google apps. But hotmail's spam filter is not very good. Too many false positives with it.

• I settled with Mandrill for the transactional mail, love it so far. I've used live domains earlier, but I hate it. No matter the shiny interface, it doesn't provide a lot of functionality, and its microsoft. I was looking at Rackspace email, but sadly, they won't do less than 5 accounts when all I need currently is one account. And then having 4 email accounts lying around while still paying a considerable amount for them is not a wise thing to do atm. I used to have Google apps on my domain in 2010, but removed it within a few months after purchasing email hosting from elsewhere, seems like google doesn't remember me anymore.

• @dhamaniasad said:
    seems like google doesn't remember me anymore.

I recently reactivated google apps mail for one of the my old domains which had a 1000 plus accounts. I don't think Google deactivates your app subscription.

Plus the best part is, you can add multiple domain to your google app account allowing you to use the same user limit for multiple email accounts on various domains.

• raza19 said: I recently reactivated google apps mail for one of the my old domains which had a 1000 plus accounts. I don't think Google deactivates your app subscription.

Plus the best part is, you can add multiple domain to your google app account allowing you to use the same user limit for multiple email accounts on various domains.

How did you do that? Did you use some email like postmaster or administrator or admin on the same domain that you used for registering for Google Apps? Or your gmail account? It asks for my domain and then the admin account, details of which I don't remember, been around 3 years.