Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the cheapest possible vps - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

the cheapest possible vps

13»

Comments

• you posted the link right when i found it

• uptimeuptime Member

we need to go deeper

• RedSoxRedSox Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Cheap + dedicated IP + good up time is possible but its unlikely you will get all 3 of those if you just go based on the lowest price you can find.

Options here from €13.00 p/year: https://inceptionhosting.com/vpsserversall.html

I advised your hosting to my friend. He said you don't even answer support tickets and he couldn't buy a VPS on your site because of some kinda fraud as far as I understood him lol.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@uptime said:
    we need to go deeper

Thanked by 1uptime
  • i ended up getting a vps from virmach
    ssd265
    256MB
    1 CPU vCORE
    10GB
    500GB @ 1Gbps
    1 Dedicated IP
    12/year

Ty everyone

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

i ended up getting a vps from virmach

excellent choice - I think they are as solid as it gets at that price.

Their Black Friday deals are crazymaking: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/153793/virmach-black-friday-cyber-week-2018-raid-10-ssd-openvz-kvm-check-inside-for-offers#latest

Do keep an eye on your cpu utilization if you use it for more than short bursts. Shouldn't be a problem for most reasonable use cases but if you're compressing files or something for several hours that might hit a limit.

Thanked by 1valter05
  • @uptime said:
    Do keep an eye on your cpu utilization if you use it for more than short bursts. Shouldn't be a problem for most reasonable use cases but if you're compressing files or something for several hours that might hit a limit.

Yes, their way of limiting resource usage (strict limits on burst time, auto shutdown once exceeded) probably plays important role in their service stability. On the other hand it makes using their VM-s for anything even remotely resource intensive tricky and IMO not worth the effort.
    Like i've made a mistake and bought their storage with yearly payment, it is now idling as this limits make it literally unusable for backups, which tend to produce large but rare bursts (~300GB full backup upload + verification = 100% guaranteed "io abuse"). At least without implementing some throttling, which i am TBH too lazy to do...
    Small kvm-s from previous sales for like $6/year perform their tasks of being secondary DNS and such very well though, with incredible stability.

• uptimeuptime Member

Gamma17 said: without implementing some throttling, which i am TBH too lazy to do...

Agreed - they are stable, and are suitable for many webserver-type duties where there is intermittent but not intensive sustained use.

one easy hack to throttle I use if I need to checksum a bunch of files is to script a loop with a sleep 60 (or whatever) after each checksum. I try to set the delay to be about the same length as each cpu-intensive task, which I think should keep the average load over time under 0.5 per core.

example:

for f in *.tar; do sha256sum $f >> checksum_log; sleep 60; done

Not ideal but not too painful, and definitely comes in handy when I absolutely need to do that kind of stuff on a resource-limited VPS ...

• forgot to say i already had a virmach server so > @uptime said:

Gamma17 said: without implementing some throttling, which i am TBH too lazy to do...

Agreed - they are stable, and are suitable for many webserver-type duties where there is intermittent but not intensive sustained use.

one easy hack to throttle I use if I need to checksum a bunch of files is to script a loop with a sleep 60 (or whatever) after each checksum. I try to set the delay to be about the same length as each cpu-intensive task, which I think should keep the average load over time under 0.5 per core.

example:

for f in *.tar; do sha256sum $f >> checksum_log; sleep 60; done

Not ideal but not too painful, and definitely comes in handy when I absolutely need to do that kind of stuff on a resource-limited VPS ...

i had a vps for a year and i had no problem at all so i trust them

Thanked by 1uptime
  • donlidonli Member

@valter05 said:
    forgot to say i already had a virmach server so

I trust my off-provider backups.

Thanked by 1Gamma17
  • Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited July 2019

@valter05 said:

Yeah, i have few VM-s with them for few years which are working great, and trust them too (that's why i was easily willing to pay yearly in the firs place), what i was trying to say is that they are "low-end" provider by design. Very good one, but still low-end. Kind of like some low end spirit providers.
    Basically no matter how i trust provider, IMO auto-shutdown on 5+ minutes of 100% CPU usage just is not suitable for any even remotely serious use.