Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudFlare down for 20-25mins just now - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudFlare down for 20-25mins just now

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Ha, even Steam is using them, it seems.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

OMG I just lost $69million! damm!

• IRAN NUMBER THREE

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2019

@ITLabs said:

@eLohkCalb said:
    https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-outage/

Someone deployed something worldwide. And there goes WW3.

bad software deploy = php5.2 selecter ok?

Stop painting CF so negatively. They of course use js selecter - and a high-end customi [sorry, broken by CF js selecter]

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@SirFoxy said:
    IRAN NUMBER THREE

Kazakhstan?

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • donlidonli Member

@ITLabs said:

@SirFoxy said:
    IRAN NUMBER THREE

Kazakhstan?

Best Potassium.

• IMO this shows two things:

• PHP SELECTER > JS SELECTER. OK?
    • CF centralization consumes way too much Potassium.
    Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • sin said: It's pretty crazy how many websites I was trying to visit that were down

Yeah. Even if some sites weren't down, their static assets were. Or media elements integrated in their pages. That lets us see that CF spying is much more efficient (and harder to block/limit) than google's, and totally ignored by most people. Strange times.

Thanked by 1MrH
  • @ITLabs said:

@SirFoxy said:
    IRAN NUMBER THREE

Kazakhstan?

NO BORAT NEVER ALLOW BORAT KING

NORTH KOREA NUMBER FOUR

Thanked by 2ITLabs dahartigan
  • sinsin Member

Just remember they have a NTP server now too :) time.cloudflare.com

• donlidonli Member

@sin said:
    Just remember they have a NTP server now too :) time.cloudflare.com

And we have: pool.ntp.org

Thanked by 2sin MrH
  • williewillie Member

See cest pit: it was a software deployment error.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-outage/

"This was not an attack (as some have speculated) and we are incredibly sorry that this incident occurred. Internal teams are meeting as I write performing a full post-mortem to understand how this occurred and how we prevent this from ever occurring again."

@willie

And stupid me thought that a major global corporation had some procedures (incl. review, simulation, testing, ...) in place instead of allowing interns to play with millions of web sites ...

Well, I'll confess it: I should have know that that expectation was stupid in the case of CloudF_ckup.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • Earlier today, a bad software deploy of the Cloudflare WAF caused a CPU spike globally and 502 errors for our customers. The bad deploy has been rolled back and customer traffic is flowing normally.

This is just outrageous. I could understand a deployment mucking up a regional area with low traffic but to deploy something on a global scale from the get go was just real dumb...

OBVIOUSLY CloudF_ckup does not even have rollback functionality in place.

• williewillie Member

They did roll it back, according to their blog post.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@willie said:

A rollback should not take 25 minutes, you should notice issues and push that button after a few minutes and it should normalize again.

• donlidonli Member

@Neoon said:

@willie said:

A rollback should not take 25 minutes, you should notice issues and push that button after a few minutes and it should normalize again.

That's what the guy who hit the AZ5 button thought would happen.

@willie said:

Kind of. A real rollback mechanism allows to "click a button" and be done. What they did was by hand after going and sieving though lots of potential trouble candidates. That is not what I was talking about.

@jsg said:
    And stupid me thought that a major global corporation had some procedures (incl. review, simulation, testing, ...) in place instead of allowing interns to play with millions of web sites ...

Well, when I mostly worked as intern, I got most of them time full access to the productive database.

Welcome to the reality, even testing code, using continuous integration and have code reviews, do not protect you from loosing money.

We had one case, where parts of the project had no git, yet in 2018.
    We had ci and code reviews, also tested everything that we COULD test, locally.

We could not test, something locally, because the test environment was in maintenance since xx weeks, so they gave us access to their production environment to do tests on it, yes...

They also refused to whitelist our IP, so we where forced to even run these tests on our production environment.

Additionally, the code was not in git, which made code reviews complicated.
    Guess what, a single line was not changed after deployment and the company could have lost about 50k if it went worse 100k+

Luckly, we found it before we lost money.

• @donli said:

@ITLabs said:

@SirFoxy said:
    IRAN NUMBER THREE

Kazakhstan?

Best Potassium.

Confirmed.

Cloudflare is inferior potassium, not in great nation Kazakhstan.

Thanked by 2ITLabs MrH
  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

http://prntscr.com/o9sr6u

Dear Cloudflare Customer,

Today at approximately 13:42 UTC we experienced a global service disruption that affected most Cloudflare traffic for 27 minutes.

The issue was triggered by a bug in a software deploy of the Cloudflare Web Application Firewall (WAF) which resulted in a CPU usage spike globally, and 502 errors for our customers. To restore global traffic we temporarily disabled certain WAF capabilities, removed the underlying software bug, then verified and re-enabled all WAF services.

We’re deeply sorry about how this disruption has impacted your services. Our engineering teams continue to investigate this issue and we will be sharing detailed incident report(s) on the Cloudflare blog.

~The Cloudflare Team

• There's no cheap alternative :(

• Faith in cloudflare restored

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@armandorg said:
    Even let was down...

Cloudflare is internet, if cloudflare is down, Internet is down.

I decided to not use clouflare when everyone seemed to be using it.

• LeviLevi Member

They provided pathetic post-mortem of incident. They did not included that nasty regex :(

• Turns out Kim Kardashian just needed a regex and not her arse to #breaktheinternet

• @sureiam said:
    https://downdetector.com/status/cloudflare
    https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/incidents/tx4pgxs6zxdr

So CloudFlare had another hiccup, seems to be limited to just their caching service. These types of issues seem to becoming more common IMO. For those using them for their DNS, CDN, and registrar how do you sleep at night?

My favorite part? HetrixTools, downdetector.com, etc. all running on cloudflare so You can't even access the typical sites to confirm something is up.

no big surprice.OVH down before.

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited July 2019

Now VMHaus is down.... For what sins....🧟‍♂️

@tsoft said:
    Now VMHaus is down.... For what sins....🧟‍♂️

Nah, they had issues yesterday but not today.