Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ 20GB SSD (RAID10) ★ 1GB KVM - $17.86/yr ★ Buffalo, Seattle, Chicago ★ Summer Clearance - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ 20GB SSD (RAID10) ★ 1GB KVM - $17.86/yr ★ Buffalo, Seattle, Chicago ★ Summer Clearance

13»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@VirMach said:

angstrom said: Just a quick question: I signed up for this nice offer, choosing Seattle as the location, and I noticed that the assigned IP address geolocates to Buffalo. I guess that -- despite my initial impression -- this is the expected behavior, right?

(I imagine that most of CC's IP addresses geolocate to Buffalo.)

You can check ARIN records and if they're wrong, contact us to correct them. This happens rarely. What usually happens is the geolocation tool you're using is just bad. Maxmind initially gave a lot of resistance, last I checked, to actually updating their records if your company sells VPNs, since they also have an anti-fraud system. They also do not like doing bulk updates on records. So they rely on assuming that their old records, and we have to contact them one IP at a time in a lot of cases. If you figure out what API the geolocation site(s) use then you can contact us and we can submit update requests for you, but they do usually take their time with those as well.

I've just checked: the ARIN records show Seattle as the location for my assigned IP address, so -- yes -- it must be the geolocation tools that are getting it wrong.

• Virmach handles things as one of the best around here.

Thanked by 1imok
  • @Virmach how about if a large DDOS attack hits a 'special vps' in DDOS protected Buffalo? is that going to get a suspension fee?

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@JoeMerit said:
    @Virmach how about if a large DDOS attack hits a 'special vps' in DDOS protected Buffalo? is that going to get a suspension fee?

There's many factors, but for an attack in Buffalo, you would not be suspended in the first place if it's within the protected threshold.

For most attacks, outside of the threshold and in unprotected locations, if our auto system caught it and it caused no damage, and it was not your fault, we usually do waive the fee but may ask that you change your package to one with a higher level of protection as a result. You may or may not be billed for a migration. If we have to increase the protection level on a node for you, you may have to at pay the difference in cost. If it's an outbound attack, it will be evaluated differently. As for suspensions in general, outside of the severity of the abuse, it usually depends on how you respond. We waive the fee in situations where the suspension didn't take a lot of admin time, cause a lot of damage, and handling the suspension didn't take a lot of time. Create three suspension appeal tickets and before we even get to discussing anything there are several replies that are unhelpful, arguing, etc? It's probably not going to get waived.

• sanvitsanvit Member

A little bit differemt story, but I once got my storage VM suspended for high IO (thanks, Resilio Sync). VirMach was really reasonable and I got my payment for the VM refunded. Just talk nicely then VirMach is pretty reasonable :)

• @sanvit said:
    A little bit differemt story, but I once got my storage VM suspended for high IO (thanks, Resilio Sync).

I'm about to use Resilio Sync on my VirMach storage account and it's my first time to use Resilio...is there any cause for concern on using it in @VirMach ?

• sanvitsanvit Member

@pullangcubo said:

@sanvit said:
    A little bit differemt story, but I once got my storage VM suspended for high IO (thanks, Resilio Sync).

I'm about to use Resilio Sync on my VirMach storage account and it's my first time to use Resilio...is there any cause for concern on using it in @VirMach ?

For me, it made a ton of disk IO.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo