Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ 20GB SSD (RAID10) ★ 1GB KVM - $17.86/yr ★ Buffalo, Seattle, Chicago ★ Summer Clearance - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ 20GB SSD (RAID10) ★ 1GB KVM - $17.86/yr ★ Buffalo, Seattle, Chicago ★ Summer Clearance

Comments

• EHRAEHRA Member

JoeMerit said: Is this one of those automated content generators ?

• vovlervovler Member

@EHRA said:

JoeMerit said: Is this one of those automated content generators ?

Thanked by 1imok
  • @sprabowo said:
    i just bought with order ID #675925
    i always got an error when i try to reinstall os to ubuntu 16 (from solusvm). now i use ubuntu 14.04

Suggest you using ISO for installation... I just installed 18.04 from ISO.

Thanked by 1lowfront
  • @JerryHou said:

@sprabowo said:
    i always got an error when i try to reinstall os to ubuntu 16 (from solusvm). now i use ubuntu 14.04

Could you help me with this? I have the disk mounted but unsure how to start the install process. Thank you!

• sanvitsanvit Member

@lowfront said:

@JerryHou said:

@sprabowo said:

Could you help me with this? I have the disk mounted but unsure how to start the install process. Thank you!

Change boot order to (1) CD-ROM (2) HARD DRIVE and reboot via the control panel, then access via VNC

Thanked by 1lowfront
  • @sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@JerryHou said:

@sprabowo said:

Change boot order to (1) CD-ROM (2) HARD DRIVE and reboot via the control panel, then access via VNC

https://imgur.com/a/pMnUQDv

What about at partition setup. Can't seem to get past this part. Do I need to setup the 1 gig swap space? Not even sure to get it to start install even with defaults. Thanks for your help!

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@JerryHou said:

@sprabowo said:

What about at partition setup. Can't seem to get past this part. Do I need to setup the 1 gig swap space? Not even sure to get it to start install even with defaults. Thanks for your help!

You should just press next and it should work fine

Thanked by 1lowfront
  • @sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@JerryHou said:

@sprabowo said:

Wow I had to full screen the VNC. Sorry!

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@JerryHou said:

@sprabowo said:

Wow I had to full screen the VNC. Sorry!

Lol I was screen recording the whole reinstall process ;)

• donlidonli Member

@sanvit said:

Or cause an explosion.

• @lowfront said:

@JerryHou said:

@sprabowo said:

Sorry, I went to sleep after that post... Glad to see your issue is resolved. :)

Btw, the VNC part could be tricky as the one in SolusVM was not working but the one on website worked well. :lol:

• This host is a joke. 4 hours of downtime to replace a single drive. Raid 10 is clearly a lie.

• LvivLviv Member

Raid 10 is a lure and you were the fish

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • zq1258zq1258 Member

The vps I purchased at virmach was forced to stop. Interestingly, the customer service said that my vps was attacked. I requested to reinstall the system for it. The customer had to pay a support fee of $28.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@zq1258 said:
    The vps I purchased at virmach was forced to stop. Interestingly, the customer service said that my vps was attacked. I requested to reinstall the system for it. The customer had to pay a support fee of $28.

I've never been asked for support fees, even when a VM was auto-suspended due to unintentional AUP violations. Would you mind sharing the whole story?

• saibalsaibal Member

zq1258 said: I requested to reinstall the system for it.

^^This^^

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • zq1258zq1258 Member

@sanvit said:

@zq1258 said:

I've never been asked for support fees, even when a VM was auto-suspended due to unintentional AUP violations. Would you mind sharing the whole story?

My account has been deleted by you, but I have a record in my mailbox. During this period, I have been communicating with your customer service through ticket. My virmach is OVZ, which pays $2.55 a year. The expiration date is August 2020. I don't know why I was suspended by you, but you only provided me with a picture. I asked to reinstall the system, but you refused and asked me to pay $28 for the service. When I refused, my account was deleted by you.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2019

@zq1258 said:

@sanvit said:

@zq1258 said:

My account has been deleted by you, but I have a record in my mailbox. During this period, I have been communicating with your customer service through ticket. My virmach is OVZ, which pays $2.55 a year. The expiration date is August 2020. I don't know why I was suspended by you, but you only provided me with a picture. I asked to reinstall the system, but you refused and asked me to pay $28 for the service. When I refused, my account was deleted by you.

I don't work for VirMach nor I have access to their system/infrastructure. If you read my comment carefully, you can see that I'm also a customer and was sharing my experience with them. And that's why I asked you to share the whole story (screen capture of emails, tickets, etc.) since in most cases thre are other side of the story.

• zq1258zq1258 Member

@sanvit said:

@zq1258 said:

@sanvit said:

@zq1258 said:

I don't work for VirMach nor I have access to their system/infrastructure. If you read my comment carefully, you can see that I'm also a customer and was sharing my experience with them. And that's why I asked you to share the whole story (screen capture of emails, tickets, etc.) since in most cases thre are other side of the story.

Sorry, I thought you were a Virmach worker, hahaha

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • Just curious what did you do on the $2.55/yr vps?

• @cybertech said:
    Just curious what did you do on the $2.55/yr vps?

Run a shared hosting company.

Thanked by 3cybertech mrTom bdl
  • RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited July 2019

@zq1258 said:

@sanvit said:

@zq1258 said:

How's this possible in 2019? Especially from the top 3 provider on LET... Any screens?

• @solaire said:

@cybertech said:
    Just curious what did you do on the $2.55/yr vps?

Run a shared hosting company.

What a waste.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

Can I have his $ 2.55/year VPS ?

(I promise not to submit any tickets).

• sonicsonic Veteran

@donli said:
    Can I have his $ 2.55/year VPS ?

(I promise not to submit any tickets).

no

• $2.55/year VPS... That's a nice deal...

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

Just a quick question: I signed up for this nice offer, choosing Seattle as the location, and I noticed that the assigned IP address geolocates to Buffalo. I guess that -- despite my initial impression -- this is the expected behavior, right?

(I imagine that most of CC's IP addresses geolocate to Buffalo.)

• williewillie Member

RedSox said: >How's this possible in 2019? Especially from the top 3 provider on LET... Any screens?

Person got one of those $2.55/year no-support VPS, got attacked/pwned, asked for a reinstall through support, they said there was a charge for that and he refused to pay, so bye bye.

I have one that's $4/year from BF a few years ago, idling, but really it must be good for something. Can't transfer due to the ID requirement which I don't want to deal with, sorry.

Angstrom can you figure out by ping where your server actually is?

• donlidonli Member

@angstrom said:
    Just a quick question: I signed up for this nice offer, choosing Seattle as the location, and I noticed that the assigned IP address geolocates to Buffalo. I guess that -- despite my initial impression -- this is the expected behavior, right?

Traceroute > geolocate.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

zq1258 said: My account has been deleted by you, but I have a record in my mailbox. During this period, I have been communicating with your customer service through ticket. My virmach is OVZ, which pays $2.55 a year. The expiration date is August 2020. I don't know why I was suspended by you, but you only provided me with a picture. I asked to reinstall the system, but you refused and asked me to pay $28 for the service. When I refused, my account was deleted by you.

zq1258 said: The vps I purchased at virmach was forced to stop. Interestingly, the customer service said that my vps was attacked. I requested to reinstall the system for it. The customer had to pay a support fee of $28.

RedSox said: How's this possible in 2019? Especially from the top 3 provider on LET... Any screens?

willie said: Person got one of those $2.55/year no-support VPS, got attacked/pwned, asked for a reinstall through support, they said there was a charge for that and he refused to pay, so bye bye.

Alright, here we go. I was going to give a short response but let's be as thorough as possible to avoid any further questions or confusion.

Account had a history of account issues and transfer then asking why the transfer occurred, breaking our terms of service by creating multiple accounts, then followed by an incompleted suspension appeal without response, a second incomplete suspension appeal without response, and finally a third suspension appeal a month later.

There was a DDoS attack on the unprotected and special/limited support service.

The standard $25 suspension fee was assessed, and it was not waived in this case due to the problematic account history and DDoS attack that was not appealed in a timely manner, especially on a special service.

Customer did not pay the fee, and continued arguing on suspension appeal (which we reserve the right not to process unless fee is paid for administration time required to deal with the abuse, support regarding the abuse.) Customer threatened to make a payment dispute. With the multiple accounts this is all hard to track, but it does not even look there was a payment made for August 2019 to 2020, but even if there was, this payment was now being theatened to be disputed on top of the violation of terms of service.

Since customer was continuing not to cooperate, in this situation we finally elected to close the customer's account.

We usually almost never do this, but we reserve it for the most deserving of these situations. This has probably only happened a handful of times in our 5 years of doing business.

So to recap and add some final details:

• Customer did not respect our terms of service and had multiple accounts. Cost a lot of support time here as we probably had to spend at least an hour, with multiple people involved to track all the accounts and then complete transfers.
    • Customer transferred service away and then acted like he didn't for whatever reason. Cost more support time.
    • Received a DDoS attack that had to be mitigated by our sys admins. Cost more support time.
    • Created two suspension appeals, did not follow-up on them and cost more support time.
    • Created another suspension appeal, cost a lot more support time. Refused to actually pay the cost associated with the suspension and the appeal, but continued to argue and expect/use support time.
    • Customer threatens a chargeback for a $2.55 payment that would cost potentially $20 in fees, even more support time.

That much support is not built into the cost of a plan specifically designated and communicated as having very limited support. Regardless, we still helped the customer, even after he broke our terms of service, as a courtesy to a point. The breaking point was refusing to pay a suspension fee, but still expecting further support and free appeal, while also threatening a payment dispute.

Customer made no indication he wanted to continue, and even if he wanted to continue we cannot risk a payment dispute and continue the services. It would have remained suspended either way and eventually been terminated, or worse, it could have renewed then the customer may have complained/opened another dispute for the next payment. Since he was not listening and continued arguing and we could not continue offering support for free, his account was closed.

angstrom said: Just a quick question: I signed up for this nice offer, choosing Seattle as the location, and I noticed that the assigned IP address geolocates to Buffalo. I guess that -- despite my initial impression -- this is the expected behavior, right?

You can check ARIN records and if they're wrong, contact us to correct them. This happens rarely. What usually happens is the geolocation tool you're using is just bad. Maxmind initially gave a lot of resistance, last I checked, to actually updating their records if your company sells VPNs, since they also have an anti-fraud system. They also do not like doing bulk updates on records. So they rely on assuming that their old records, and we have to contact them one IP at a time in a lot of cases. If you figure out what API the geolocation site(s) use then you can contact us and we can submit update requests for you, but they do usually take their time with those as well.

On another note, this sale has ended. We may get a couple more Seattle servers so it may be used in the near future, or we may just wait until the next sale. Have a great week guys and thanks for your continued support.