Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared/Reseller offers facilitated by cPanel - N̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared/Reseller offers facilitated by cPanel - N̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶

Comments

• SkyNetHostingSkyNetHosting Member
    edited September 2019

@deank said:
    I say we expand the ban since CPanel buying out BuyCpanel is a dick move.

A better move would be making the ban permanent.

Seriously guys? banning cPanel here will not have any effect on cPanel at all, they are a very very large company and it will not have any effect on them.

The only effect it will have is that the user that use to look up cheap reseller plans will end up in other forums like WHT :(

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited September 2019

SkyNetHosting said: The only effect it will have is that the user that use to look up cheap reseller plans will end up in other forums like WHT

Where they will be extremely disappointed when their host cannot fulfill their end of the deal.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited September 2019

as September is now almost over, I must confess I am still waiting for the anticipated news of so much wailing and gnashing of teeth from cpanel resellers of the "unlimited accounts" persuasion.

Any fresh reports of bad craziness in that area?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited September 2019

@uptime said:
    as September is now almost over, I must confess I am still waiting for the anticipated news of so much wailing and gnashing of teeth from cpanel resellers of the "unlimited accounts" persuasion.

I have a canary of sorts set up with one of the LEB front page hosts, unlimited cpanel account reseller. I have one account only for the canary, and it's actually been stable.

We're talking $5/year for a 25gb reseller. Purchased before the cpanel price hike.

Will continue to renew until it dies, I was expecting it to explode into a firey ball of cpanel hellfire, but since the month is almost over I think that's not going to happen.

Speaking purely as a customer here.

@uptime PM me and I'll give you an account on it for the lulz

Thanked by 1uptime
    edited September 2019

@dahartigan said:

@uptime said:

I have a canary of sorts set up with one of the LEB front page hosts, unlimited cpanel account reseller. I have one account only for the canary, and it's actually been stable.

We're talking $5/year for a 25gb reseller. Purchased before the cpanel price hike.

Will continue to renew until it dies, I was expecting it to explode into a firey ball of cpanel hellfire, but since the month is almost over I think that's not going to happen.

Edit: Nvm, it's in the first line. (I asked how many accounts utilised)

I would expect big companies to legacy certain plans and swallow costs, but $5 is wow :P

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @dahartigan ... for the lulz you say?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Mic-hael said:
    I would expect big companies to legacy certain plans and swallow costs, but $5 is wow :pensive:

@hostens was at one point not all that long ago (on hostballs) handing out a free year "try it you'll like it" (single account) cPanel shared hosting dealie - renews at €10/y I think. (I got one). Respect.

• @Mic-hael said:

@dahartigan said:

@uptime said:

Edit: Nvm, it's in the first line. (I asked how many accounts utilised)

I would expect big companies to legacy certain plans and swallow costs, but $5 is wow :P

I know, it's actually a little bit confusing how they are planning to proceed. Since this is an experiment, and to avoid poisoning the reactor, so to speak - I will not mention in public who the host is, but @Mic-hael feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in.

To clarify, it's a reseller account which specifically says no limits, and there is no evidence that my reseller account is limited (in the same way that they are on buyshared, for example, you can see how many you have left) in accounts.

I made a mistake by saying it was 25gb, it's much less - if I tell you how much less, it could give away too much and my cover would be blown and the mission compromised ;)

Thanked by 2uptime MichaelCee
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I would suggest this remains in place until December 1'st at the earliest.

Thanked by 2uptime MichaelCee
    edited September 2019

^ Yeah.

Also, wasn't there a 1 orfew month transition for a lot of companies? So we won't actually see properly until year end.

• I discovered I could resurrect another LEB special unlimited account reseller at $3/qtr plus the late fee.. for science.

Too bad I never took up the master alpha mega reseller, could have really had some fun data to work with.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Dr. Evil Hartigan said:
    "One million cPanel accounts!"

• @uptime I just paid the $5 renewal for the year lol lets see how far into the next 12 months it lasts.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @dahartigan said:
    @uptime I just paid the $5 renewal for the year lol lets see how far into the next 12 months it lasts.

Sad potassium.

• @Mic-hael lol don't worry, it's for scientific research. Gotta set the benchmarks somehow and that means playing with the bottom of the barrel of low end shenanigans. It's the dirty work that happens behind the scenes. I like the days where I play with quality potassium a lot better, believe me.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee uptime
  • CPanel accounts should be allowed now for hosts. At least now most hosts should know their cost and should be able to price as needed.

• spun said: At least now most hosts should know their cost and should be able to price as needed.

LMAO

• @hzr said:

spun said: At least now most hosts should know their cost and should be able to price as needed.

LMAO

lol, yeah.. we'll see..

I'm not 100% sold on it being as risky to provide a single cPanel account, it's really only the unlimited reseller accounts that will be fucked hard when the bill rolls in.

Either way, power to DA and the panels of the future :)

• I believe this will affect the small business, rather they can afford the price hike.

• @tuxandrew said:
    I believe this will affect the small business, rather they can afford the price hike.

I believe your signature will affect my viewing pleasure, rather it is 4 lines long.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2019

Personally I think the restriction should be lifted now, everyone knows the position, caveat emptor and all that.

Providers are still providing cPanel and clients are still buying it. It is still a good panel, better than DA at present.

I have been watching closely on several sites/forums and there is no mass exodus from cPanel so far. Neither has there been closures or issues as they can't afford to pay the new bills.

Even on LET all I am seeing is unsustainable DA deals from providers, not that many as most are staying with cPanel.

As an aside on the budget DA providers, they couldn't cope if there was a shift in direction from DA. Not being able to obtain free bundled licences from providers would fold some of the current DA budget hosts if they had to pay $30 monthly for each licence.

What is the real reason for the restriction to persist? that is not a question to members, but the LET staff. I doubt it is CC as all their pet providers will be cPanel. So must be the moderators decision.

• funkywizardfunkywizard Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

mikho said: Wonder how companies like buycpanel will react to this.

It went something like this.

Me: can you still offer yearly licenses if I pay today?
    Them: yes no problem.
    Me: even with the new pricing from cPanel?
    Them: What new pricing?
    Me: link
    Them: (5 minutes later) I will open a ticket on your account and get back to you we only just found out.

When an LET post knows an hour before the biggest license re seller they have... you know someone fucked up!

cPanel announced that they've bought out buycpanel shortly after the announcement.

Presumably buycpanel had some kind of longer term contract to be able to continue getting the lower pricing, and it was better for cPanel to take them out of the market. Otherwise everyone would just buy from buycpanel until their contract expired.

• Those LEB hosts with unlimited cpanel are all deadpooling lol

• @dahartigan said:
    Those LEB hosts with unlimited cpanel are all deadpooling lol

We all take a moment of silence. Nobody ever saw that coming.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @t0ny0 said:

@dahartigan said:
    Those LEB hosts with unlimited cpanel are all deadpooling lol

We all take a moment of silence. Nobody ever saw that coming.

Hahaha I like to think my offering free accounts on their "unlimited" had a hand in their demise

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

What do you mean by "new offers facilitated by cPanel", do you mean that people offering web hosting which run on cPanel will not be allowed on these forums, or do you mean that people offering to resell cPanel licenses will not be allowed?

• lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

@level6 said:
    Why should anyone trust DA going forward? Might as well stay with cPanel. If DA does improve, what would stop them from raising prices? With so few decent commercial offerings (Plesk #2, but also Oakley) there's low price elacticity.

DirectAdmin is also already quite expensive, comparable to cPanel's pricing before October 2019 last month. $30 per month for full use of your own server is steep. It's ok for individuals with 1 or 2 domains, but even small companies and individuals which run a number of websites can quickly surpass the maximum domains for the free, $2, or even $17 plans, sticking them right back at the $30 per month price point. It only gets worse if DirectAdmin decides to raise their already very high prices.

• lnx1002 said: DirectAdmin is also already quite expensive

No one is paying that much, everyone will be using their free or $1 internal DA licences

• lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

@Lee said:
    I have been watching closely on several sites/forums and there is no mass exodus from cPanel so far. Neither has there been closures or issues as they can't afford to pay the new bills.

I don't know where you've been hiding, but there is definitely a mass exodus. Many hosts I know are losing their cpanel customers by the droves, and all over the place people are actually moving to leave cpanel as for many hosts, especially larger ones, a 900% price increase is untenable and unmanageable, not to mention morally outrageous.

People have been talking about leaving cpanel in mass numbers when they forced their dreadful paper lantern theme and basically said f you to the hundreds of thousands of people outraged by it. But now, with this insane price hike, literally robbery, people are putting their money where their mouth is and leaving for real. A ton of people and hosting companies I know are actively testing other panels. The price increase justifies the work required to leave.

• While I think rules should be respected, can anyone suggest to me where I should look for good cpanel deals now? I acknowledge they will cost more, but that's OK.

I still need cpanel until I look into DA and its API, assuming there is an API interface for things like adding domains and ssl certs.