Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup bulletproofhosting using cPanel? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to setup bulletproofhosting using cPanel?

Comments

• It's like load balancing i am not searching the way to protect against DDoS. 1 issue is the way to hide customers ptr records under their servers (websites)

• FHR said: Depends on the content. For example, if they have neo-nazi content, incite terrorism or stuff, they might be illegal in quite a few countries actually.

The sites are not illegal in the US or EU not sure about other countries.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@websitehostingvps said:
    It's like load balancing i am not searching the way to protect against DDoS. 1 issue is the way to hide customers ptr records under their servers (websites)

Honestly you need to go hire someone or drop the client.

• jackb said: Honestly you need to go hire someone or drop the client.

Giving up is not an option.

@websitehostingvps said:

jackb said: Honestly you need to go hire someone or drop the client.

Giving up is not an option.

Then you had better start hiring.

Thanked by 1websitehostingvps
  • @dedipromo said:
    Cloudflare.

Want to do this without cloudflare, i found a script called cloudfire but it has not been updated for 5 years etc.

• jackb said: hiring.

Is not an option but would be nice in a perfect world.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, you are pretty much ruling yourself out by refusing to use Cloudflare.

Hire someone.

• @deank said:

Hire someone.

This can be done and is being done by many companies, eventually, i will do it too, asking here hopefully makes the process faster.

• A simple answer to this would be much appreciated.
    How to hide an IP address that is registered as an A record on a specific domain which uses your DNS nameservers.

edited June 2019

@websitehostingvps said:

@deank said:

Hire someone.

This can be done and is being done by many companies, eventually, i will do it too, asking here hopefully makes the process faster.

Trying to pull off what you are trying to pull off without basic knowledge of the concepts involved is asking to get your client or you and your client arrested.

Or even if it's totally legit - your client will dump you when they realise you don't have what it takes, and you'll lose out on whatever you spent on the venture.

Ditch the client or hire someone who knows what they're doing.

@websitehostingvps said:
    A simple answer to this would be much appreciated.
    How to hide an IP address that is registered as an A record on a specific domain which uses your DNS nameservers.

Delete the A record, the whole purpose of an A record is to point a name record at an IP.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • edited June 2019

This is what i meant.

jackb said: Trying

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

websitehostingvps said: A simple answer to this would be much appreciated.

I am running out of ways to tell you this: there is no simple answer to your question, other than "hire somebody", which is an answer you've gotten several times now.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited June 2019

If you are not planning on using CF.

This still requires money and knowledge though, but get a ddos protected server from amazon etc. point A record to there, install a reverse proxy.

Might work....
    Never tried though.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited June 2019

Seems like you don't understand what a reverse proxy is. You should probably follow @joepie91 advice and/or get rid of that "customer".

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Welp, I think I'm going to give up on this one. OP will probably learn a very valuable (and costly) lesson... eventually.

• edited June 2019

If you register a domain to your nameservers and then point an A record to the webhost when you lookup for the domain IP it will show the web host IP instead of your server IP.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

To be fair, I have yet to see anyone actually taking any decent advice on LET.

They've all crashed and burn. Kinda getting sick of typing "Told you so" later.

• I should of mentioned i can already do this setup but i want to do it with cPanel. I can setup a test to prove this if you guys want but it is just following a tutorial...

• I would forget this venture and focus on the basics like your website. The copyright is 2017 we are in 2019. Also, Companies House has you Incorporated on 24 August 2018.

Your partners are listed as SEO companies, I would talk to them for some advice. LET receives good attention from Google. You have your company name and links in your sig should help you to appear at the top of the page if someone searched for you. Just a thought.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Nomad said: still requires money and knowledge though, but get a ddos protected server from amazon etc. point A record to there, install a reverse proxy.

Might work....

Never tried though.

websitehostingvps said: I can setup a test to prove this if you guys want but it is just following a tutorial...

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited June 2019

Use cpanel on your backend if you want. It doesn't matter.

Or.. do you want to provide custom reverse proxy service like @SplitIce and would like an interface within cpanel so that your customers can tick a box and have their real ip "hidden"?

• datanoise said: Use cpanel on your backend if you want. It doesn't matter.

You want to provide custom reverse proxy service like @SplitIce and would like an interface within cpanel so that your customers can tick a box and have their real ip "hidden"?

Yes, kind of but a tick of a box user end sounds more tricky would be better if it was set to any website on the server.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@websitehostingvps said:
    I should of mentioned i can already do this setup but i want to do it with cPanel. I can setup a test to prove this if you guys want but it is just following a tutorial...

Why the hell are you insistent on using cPanel? I was going to offer the solution that we use but it sure as hell does not rely on any panel such as that!!! So, why cPanel?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2019

websitehostingvps said: I should of mentioned i can already do this setup but i want to do it with cPanel. I can setup a test to prove this if you guys want but it is just following a tutorial...

Hey, I will take my turn shouting into the abyss I guess!

Let's just outline all the reasons shown in this thread so far that dictate you probably shouldn't do this and should consider hiring someone to assist you, maybe this will help to get the point across?

1. Any sysadmin / dev with half a brain trying to do what you want to do would know you don't use cPanel for such a setup
    2. Someone with the skill set needed to do what you are doing wouldn't even consider using ANY web panel or similar on the server, whether free or paid, this just adds more security risks to the equation.
    3. It seems you are misusing the term 'Bulletproof', you don't seem to be aware of what this principle actually means, probably some catch phrase your customer repeated to you and you thought was neat so continued to do so, as well.
    4. DDOS and high availability are actually two different items though you addressed it in your OP as if it was a single line item - Having a high availability setup doesn't mean it is DDOS protected and your site being DDOS protected does not mean it has 'high availability', again, misusing the terminology.
    5. You think there is some magic 'tutorial' thats just going to show you how to do this, well there isn't one, instead you need to actually use your brain and go read and learn.
    6. You used the word tutorial 6 times in you OP and at least 2 more times in your comments throughout the thread
    7. You used the phrases "easy tutorial" and "easy to read" signifying you likely don't have the technical knowledge to understand the documentation even if we provided links to it
    8. In the OP you wrote, "make sure i do not mess this up" indicating again you probably are in over your head
    9. You don't listen to people that are way more experienced in this type of work than you when they tell you this is over your head and you should hire someone with these skill sets to assist you
    10. You don't seem to even know how DNS works as you ask about 'hiding your PTR record'
    11. You say you know how to do it already and then in the same sentence use the words, 'cPanel' and 'Tutorial' again....

I mean I could go on and really nit pick and bash you down, that's not really my point here, the point is to hopefully indicate to you that you don't know as much as you think you do and need REAL HELP. You need to read and become more educated about what your trying to do before you promise work like this to someone and if you don't know how to do it, you need to be honest and then work with the customer to budget for the type of professional / extended help they/you will need to accomplish this. Taking on a task like this and then just rushing it or thinking you can put it together with a tutorial is not only insulting to your customer but to this community for you thinking we are just going to tell you how to do your job.

Instead of continuing down this path thinking you know it all and don't need any help, maybe try to set a budget for what you are willing to pay for someones time to help you and consider posting that budget and trying to find someone in the community that can actually help you and walk you through things and is willing to work with you and with-in your budget.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited June 2019

@Nomad said:
    If you are not planning on using CF.

This still requires money and knowledge though, but get a ddos protected server from amazon etc. point A record to there, install a reverse proxy.

Might work....
    Never tried though.

This might help... perhaps... who knows: How to hide webserver IP with proxy (ex: squid)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

If you mean bulletproof in terms of legal threats (i.e you are hosting botnet C+C, fraud, phishing etc) as in the common usage of bulletproof hosting in the hacking community please do not use us.

@desperand thanks for the mention though.

There are three ways main to protect a cpanel server from attacks.
    1) cpnat: Use a gre tunnel and configure cpanel to do NAT.
    2) Reverse Proxy your clients
    3) Is not yet currently available publicly but we are working on it with a client. It's totally transparent to cpanel and uses virtualization :)

• apt-get install cloudflare-kevlar

• LeviLevi Member

websitehostingvps said: Yes, kind of but a tick of a box user end sounds more tricky would be better if it was set to any website on the server.

At this point, I believe LET got trolled hard. Because no one can sustain such trolling without mental damage...

And this is just disgusting.

"Bulletproof hosting" - almost ALWAYS is illegal operation hiding booters, spamers, botneters and other kind of crap. Take a look: https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/bulletproof-hosting/

This discussion for the sake of sanity and morality should be closed and sinked.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

Pro Bono Work: 22+ LET members
    Free Consulting Services: 10+ hours

OP's dream of a bulletproof cPanel coming true: priceless

Thanked by 3uptime vimalware level6