Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi 4 announced, 4xA72, Gbe, USB3, $35w/1GB ram, $55/4GB ram - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi 4 announced, 4xA72, Gbe, USB3, $35w/1GB ram, $55/4GB ram

13»

Comments

• noamannoaman Member

@KuJoe said:
    2 more Atomic Pis ordered, I don't think I'll be getting the RPi4 after all.

Where did you order from ?

Can we buy it using AliExpress Gearbox etc?

Looking to use it as a personal seedbox

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@noaman said:

@KuJoe said:

I order mine from Ameridroid.com, I avoid ordering from overseas whenever possible.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • noamannoaman Member

@KuJoe said:

@noaman said:

@KuJoe said:

I order mine from Ameridroid.com, I avoid ordering from overseas whenever possible.

It doesn't ship to Pakistan :neutral:

I need something that ships to Pakistan and doesn't break the bank

• Wondering what to do with that shiny, new RasPi 4? Our article today will show you how to turn it into a turnkey VoIP platform. You'll be making calls in less than 5 minutes. http://nerdvittles.com/?p=30080

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

Got the 4GB version arrive this morning, will be good to have a bit of a play later :-)

Thanked by 1willie
  • So, who has got their RPi 4 and done some real life testing with it? Anyone come up with any unique thermal solutions?

Cheers!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

There's news they fucked up the schematics (skimped on one resistor), and as such many chargers do not work: https://www.scorpia.co.uk/2019/06/28/pi4-not-working-with-some-chargers-or-why-you-need-two-cc-resistors/
    If you wanted a reason to not get one, then here you go, wait for a revised board with this fixed.

• williewillie Member

TheLinuxBug said: unique thermal solutions?

There's a firmware patch coming that's supposed to decrease the temperature by a few degrees.

Also the flirc.com enclosure is supposed to be pretty good. The case is made of metal and acts like a heat sink.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • LeviLevi Member

Any suggestions for small home server? Few wordpress sites, development setups.

Anyone tried odroid xu4?

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@LTniger said:

Anyone tried odroid xu4?

I used to use the 3B+ for this kind of stuff which worked OK until I've had the 4. Either that or the 4 would be best - the XU4 is great if you can get it at a reasonable cost, but normally it's pretty expensive once shipping gets added.

• LeviLevi Member

@iKeyZ said:

@LTniger said:

Anyone tried odroid xu4?

I used to use the 3B+ for this kind of stuff which worked OK until I've had the 4. Either that or the 4 would be best - the XU4 is great if you can get it at a reasonable cost, but normally it's pretty expensive once shipping gets added.

Yea, shipping alone is 28 usd. Insane.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Maybe USB-C was created like that on purpose for first version of RPi 4, to sell their chargers and make more money.

• I still have 2 raspberry pi's from 2012-2013(pi2) works like a charm! even tried cooling it with different food oils and yeah that works well. has anyone got the latest pi and started running stuff on it?

• LeviLevi Member

@FiroSolutions said:
    I still have 2 raspberry pi's from 2012-2013(pi2) works like a charm! even tried cooling it with different food oils and yeah that works well. has anyone got the latest pi and started running stuff on it?

Wtf... Food oil cooling? Is this SELEKTER OK?

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@LTniger said:

@FiroSolutions said:
    I still have 2 raspberry pi's from 2012-2013(pi2) works like a charm! even tried cooling it with different food oils and yeah that works well. has anyone got the latest pi and started running stuff on it?

You didn't know to only use food-grade oil with your pie ?

I'd advise guests to skip dessert at your house.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@donli said:

@LTniger said:

@FiroSolutions said:

You didn't know to only use food-grade oil with your pie ?

I'd advise guests to skip dessert at your house.

He/She means mineral oil, which is not an electrical conductor. You can actually submerge a Raspberry Pi in mineral oil (easy to buy from Amazon), and with a small fan moving the oil inside the case, oil will cool from the walls of the sealed box simply by moving around. The problem with this particular cooling system is the submerged part of rubber cables from Pi4 (ethernet, usb), which will get destroyed over time by staying inside the oil. Theoretically, even after some time when rubber gets destroyed it should not be a problem, as mineral oil is not conducting electricity.

Thanked by 1FiroSolutions
  • beaglebeagle Member

default said: You can actually submerge a Raspberry Pi in mineral oil (easy to buy from Amazon), and with a small fan moving the oil inside the case, oil will cool from the walls of the sealed box simply by moving around.

That's a nice recipe on how to cool a Raspberry Pi cluster and create a fryer as same time. :smiley:

Thanked by 1reikuzan
  • @LTniger said:

Anyone tried odroid xu4?

Honestly my main issue with rpi4 is lack of fast storage. It does not matter how much CPU or RAM you have if everything is running on microsd. Sure it is possible to use something with USB3, but then it is no longer small or cheap.
    I personally absolutely love this boards. It is not even close to rpi4 in terms of cpu performance, but everything with emmc in such neat little package is IMO just great.

"moar power" approach they took also kind of worries me, if anything i would like to see something taking advantage of modern tech to reduce power consumption, not increase performance at a cost of wildly higher power/heat. Fan on arm minipc - nope, would never buy such a thing.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2019

@Gamma17 said:

@LTniger said:

Anyone tried odroid xu4?

Honestly my main issue with rpi4 is lack of fast storage. It does not matter how much CPU or RAM you have if everything is running on microsd. Sure it is possible to use something with USB3, but then it is no longer small or cheap.
    I personally absolutely love this boards. It is not even close to rpi4 in terms of cpu performance, but everything with emmc in such neat little package is IMO just great.

"moar power" approach they took also kind of worries me, if anything i would like to see something taking advantage of modern tech to reduce power consumption, not increase performance at a cost of wildly higher power/heat. Fan on arm minipc - nope, would never buy such a thing.

I personally love the fact that operating system is on a microsd. In case it gets destroyed, you can simply swap it (with emmc you can't). I agree that microsd does not offer great speeds, but then again is just the operating system on it, while you can take advantage of USB3 at high speeds for transferring data of applications.

I also do not like that "moar power" approach. The heat is an issue over time, and adding a fan to such boards is not something I would do.

• LeviLevi Member

default said: (with emmc you can't)

If eMMc is attachable? XU4 have eMMc attachable with reader/writter. OS deployment is easy as piss on to two fingers.

• LeviLevi Member

Story about how I thought to go cheap:

• Ordered ODROID XU4
    • Paid 98 USD
    • Got owned by customs with added cost of 45 EUR

Totaling 133 EUR for efkin SBC when I could go with refurb intel nuc like a king... You live and learn.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited July 2019

@default said:

I personally love the fact that operating system is on a microsd. In case it gets destroyed, you can simply swap it (with emmc you can't). I agree that microsd does not offer great speeds, but then again is just the operating system on it, while you can take advantage of USB3 at high speeds for transferring data of applications.

I also do not like that "moar power" approach. The heat is an issue over time, and adding a fan to such boards is not something I would do.

It is not a given on arm devices (depends on how boot process works on specific chip), but you can usually boot from microsd and fix/entirely "reinstall" OS on emmc from there. Or if emmc is removable you can just rewrite it the same way as you would do with microsd.
    Speed difference, however, is HUGE. Microsd-s are terrible for random i/o, most emmc-s are not. It is kind of similar to moving from 40gb laptop hdd from early 2000-s to modern ssd. Totally worth some inconvenience in case when you break things.

@LTniger said:

• Ordered ODROID XU4
    • Paid 98 USD

Totaling 133 EUR for efkin SBC when I could go with refurb intel nuc like a king... You live and learn.

Exactly my story with SBC-s. I stopped even trying to justify buying them by any practical reason. It's for fun and nothing more. And if i can find some practical use it will be nice bonus.
    Just wait until you start buying all the sings you will need to properly experiment with it - from psu to usb-something (lan, sata, wifi, serial, whatever) to cases, heatsinks, microsd-s and whatever else.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@Gamma17 said:

@default said:

It is not a given on arm devices (depends on how boot process works on specific chip), but you can usually boot from microsd and fix/entirely "reinstall" OS on emmc from there. Or if emmc is removable you can just rewrite it the same way as you would do with microsd.
    Speed difference, however, is HUGE. Microsd-s are terrible for random i/o, most emmc-s are not. It is kind of similar to moving from 40gb laptop hdd from early 2000-s to modern ssd. Totally worth some inconvenience in case when you break things.

@LTniger said:

• Ordered ODROID XU4
    • Paid 98 USD

Exactly my story with SBC-s. I stopped even trying to justify buying them by any practical reason. It's for fun and nothing more. And if i can find some practical use it will be nice bonus.
    Just wait until you start buying all the sings you will need to properly experiment with it - from psu to usb-something (lan, sata, wifi, whatever) to cases, heatsinks, microsd-s and whatever else.

Agree with this - especially on the case of the NEO Plus2 as I have had one for a year or so. Micro SD card can be used for the OS, but you can also load an image which writes to the eMMC if that's what you are after.

I was really hoping the Pi 4 would offer similar, I know that you can boot from a USB, although I was hoping for something like the XU4 with removable eMMC attached.

• khaledkhaled Member

It's out of stock every where I looked. Can't wait to get my hands on a few of 'em RPi's