Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi 4 announced, 4xA72, Gbe, USB3, $35w/1GB ram, $55/4GB ram
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi 4 announced, 4xA72, Gbe, USB3, $35w/1GB ram, $55/4GB ram

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-from-35/

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4292 (not in stock yet)

• Supposed to be 3x faster than RPI 3B+
  • Uses new 28nm chip instead of old 40nm.
  • Uses USB-C for power, up to 3 amps. Can use adapter if you have a beefy micro-B supply.
  • 2 USB2 ports and 2 USB3 ports, can supply up to 1.2A of power
  • 1GB ($35), 2GB ($45), and 4GB ($55) LPDDR4 memory configs
  • GBit ethernet (has PoE) and USB connected through a PCIe2 lane, but no mention of an SSD interface except the microSD card :(
  • Some rearrangement of the physical connectors, relevant if you are making or using enclosures. @terrahost take note (building hosting boxes...). Now uses 2x mini hdmi connectors for dual monitors, instead of 1x full sized hdmi.
  • Generally much fancier video stuff, check details yourself. As a server enthusiast who wants my computers far away, I don't care about this ;). Unless of course someone builds a decent laptop around it.

Comments

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for the note :) We've already ordered a few and expect them to work without any modifications to our board. Currently finalizing the design and should have a beta working in a month or two!

• And still using a damm microsd card :( but otherwise that looks like a decent upgrade especially with gbit and usb3 :)

Thanked by 1Byte
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I'll probably pick one up to benchmark and test with, but I've replaced all of my RPis with Atomic Pis. An x86 CPU with better specs for $3 more.

• donlidonli Member

@KuJoe said:
    I'll probably pick one up to benchmark and test with, but I've replaced all of my RPis with Atomic Pis. An x86 CPU with better specs for $3 more.

What's the story with Atomic Pis - Are they going to be making them in quantity in the future?

• Can't wait for the x265 10bit decode reviews.

• williewillie Member

KuJoe how is the atomic pi working out for you? The rpi4 might actually have a bit more compute power if their 3x pi3 claim holds up. But the x86 might still have less software weirdness. Are you running Linux? What distro?

• RedSoxRedSox Member

What would you pick and why?

• Raspberry Pi as a mediacenter (PMS) at home
    • VPS as a mediacenter (PMS) in some country
  • williewillie Member
    edited June 2019

Kind of a difficult thing, having the files and maybe transcoding power remote is nice, but you do need something local to actually drive your TV set. The pi4 may be better than the earlier pi's because of its video decode hardware (including 4k) and usb3 interface for faster hard disk transfer.

Added: this has some benchmarks: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-4-specs-benchmarks/

@donli said:

@KuJoe said:

What's the story with Atomic Pis - Are they going to be making them in quantity in the future?

No idea, but I only need a few of them. If you need large quantities I would look at ODroids instead.

@willie said:
    KuJoe how is the atomic pi working out for you? The rpi4 might actually have a bit more compute power if their 3x pi3 claim holds up. But the x86 might still have less software weirdness. Are you running Linux? What distro?

The Atomic Pi is working out great, currently I'm running Observium, PiHole, and Ubiquiti's UniFi Controller without any issues. By default the Atomic Pi comes with Ubuntu 18.04 pre-installed on the onboard eMMC drive so that's what I'm using except with the desktop environment disabled. I considered installing Windows on one to setup a server for my IP Cameras since the Atom x5-Z8350 is supposed to have QSV support so it should handle h265 with little CPU overhead, but I've been using my camera's onboard options so I haven't needed a dedicated server yet.

• This is a decent upgrade.

• defaultdefault Veteran

I am somewhat curious about the thermals of this 28nm architecture.

• williewillie Member

Thanks Joe, I'll look into the Atomic Pi. Odroid H2 (Celeron J4105 based) is somewhat more powerful but a lot more expensive at $100+.

I didn't realize there is now an Odroid N2 which has 4x ARM A73 cpus plus 2x A53, gigabit ethernet, 4GB ram, on-board hi-fi audio dac, on-board rtc, eMMC, etc. Seems more powerful than the pi4. At $79 vs $55 for the 4gb pi4 it's more expensive but not by that much if you want 4gb. Info here.

I notice from that benchmark page that the pi4 uses around 3 watts idling, which is a bit unfortunate. Dunno about the N2 etc. But at the ultra low powered end of things, check the new Artemis series at sparkfun.com. They are Cortex M4 based (not Linux) but use around 5 milliwatts at 48 mhz, and way in the sub-mw range when idle. They have 1M of flash and 384k ram on-chip which is plenty for a nice python-based environment.

@willie said:
    Thanks Joe, I'll look into the Atomic Pi. Odroid H2 (Celeron J4105 based) is somewhat more powerful but a lot more expensive at $100+.

I didn't realize there is now an Odroid N2 which has 4x ARM A73 cpus plus 2x A53, gigabit ethernet, 4GB ram, on-board hi-fi audio dac, on-board rtc, eMMC, etc. Seems more powerful than the pi4. At $79 vs $55 for the 4gb pi4 it's more expensive but not by that much if you want 4gb. Info here.

I love my ODroid H2, it's my desktop replacement when I don't want to deal with the noise and heat of my gaming PC. ODroid is always coming out with new models every few months it seems, I can't keep up with them but I prefer them over Raspberry Pis for the stability and performance. The only Raspberry Pi that I actually use is the Raspberry Pi Zero W that I prefer to use over my ODroid C0.

• williewillie Member

By coincidence I was just about to order a Zero W as a wifi proxy thingie. But the 4 is so much more powerful that I might get one instead. Although if it's just going to sit in the corner night and day maybe that's pointless. Hmm.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2019

donli said: What's the story with Atomic Pis - Are they going to be making them in quantity in the future?

No, they are surplus from a robotics company that went under which another company bought out in lots. Once the lots that they have purchased are gone, so is the AtomicPi. It is actually an Aaeon MF-001 board that has been re-branded and sold under the AtomicPi name. The boards were originally produced for a kickstarter / crowdfunded robot which didn't make it to production and they just sold all the boards on. Also why there is a gyroscope, the Audio DAC, cameras, etc included in the developer kit, basically all the components that were needed for the internals of the robot. This is also why they can afford to sell it at the price they did, they bought it for under cost in bulk, if they were actually manufacturing it the price would easily double, if not triple.

Edit: This is also why the board has gone up in price on Amazon and is now selling for over $40+, as there is no more stock, only those selling off the ones they purchased in bulk during their original sales.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My biggest complaint with non-Raspberry ARM computers is that they tend to require non-standard kernel to enable onboard WiFi and Bluetooth. We use ARM computers as WiFi access points where we can install our own userspace routing/forwarding software. If WiFi doesn't work, it's useless.

• yoursunny said: My biggest complaint with non-Raspberry ARM computers is that they tend to require non-standard kernel to enable onboard WiFi and Bluetooth. We use ARM computers as WiFi access points where we can install our own userspace routing/forwarding software. If WiFi doesn't work, it's useless.

I think I understand what you are trying to say, however, there are binary blobs needed for the RPi to run just like on the other ARM platforms. The difference here is they generally make access to the video acceleration, wifi/bt firmware, pre-built wpa-supplicant without a lot of hassle vs the need for blobs and actually building some of the needed tools as they are not directly provided in an easily downloadable fashion, out of the box.

If you have some patients to read and do a bit of Googling then you can generally get many of the ARM variants to work pretty well. While a bit older, the Allwinner H3 still makes a decent little SBC in some of its iterations, for example the Orange Pi Plus 2E running H3Droid or Armbian. I will note that currently H3Droid doesn't have a good working implementation for AP use case, however, if you did have some knowledge it could be made to work. Armbian though I believe does provide these options out of the box. Just always be careful about updating the wifi / bt firmware during 'apt-get upgade' as sometimes replacing the originally packages firmware with the generic variants won't work out so well.

@yoursunny I am Interested to hear in more detail the issues you faced, if you care to share?

Cheers!

• @willie said:
    Kind of a difficult thing, having the files and maybe transcoding power remote is nice, but you do need something local to actually drive your TV set. The pi4 may be better than the earlier pi's because of its video decode hardware (including 4k) and usb3 interface for faster hard disk transfer.

Added: this has some benchmarks: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-4-specs-benchmarks/

The benchmarks are amazing. The processor clock speed really didn't look that impressive but the architecture update really adds some horsepower. With a usb 3.0 back end now the gigabit Ethernet connect is able to be fully utilized along side external storage.

With the video update, this pushes raspberry pi into some amazing new uses for both home media or remote headless server options. Especially with the options for additional ram.

• defaultdefault Veteran

If anyone gets their hands on this board, please do a stress test and share the thermals...

• FoulFoul Member

default said: If anyone gets their hands on this board, please do a stress test and share the thermals...

Ordered mine 4 hours ago, Status is shipping out today.

• default said: If anyone gets their hands on this board, please do a stress test and share the thermals...

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/06/24/raspberry-pi-4-benchmarks-mini-review/

Thanked by 2default vimalware
  • donlidonli Member

@TheLinuxBug said:

default said: If anyone gets their hands on this board, please do a stress test and share the thermals...

We do not have a cooling solution at hand here, so running the benchmarks without heatsink, nor fan does seriously impact the performance under load, meaning Raspberry Pi 4 is slower than Raspberry Pi 3 model B in some of the benchmarks.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TheLinuxBug said:
    I am Interested to hear in more detail the issues you faced, if you care to share?

The device we purchased last year is the Banana Pi R2. It's designed as a home router, but we wanted to use Debian or Ubuntu.
    According to their forums, the official firmware has "AP unstable" problem.
    I tried Frank's kernel source. WiFi works mostly, but Bluetooth Low Energy doesn't work at all.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Apparently, its again limited to 1 per person.
    Sad times, and yes you can order 10 and 10 different sellers but so far no stock yet...

• YuraYura Member

What happened to Pi 4 Model A?

Chris, I want full transparency on this issue!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Yura said: What happened to Pi 4 Model A?

Chris, I want full transparency on this issue!

It is in the FAQ in the article you didn't read.

What about a Model A version?

Historically, we’ve produced cut-down, lower-cost, versions of some of our $35 products, including Model 1A+ in 2014, and Model 3A+ at the end of last year. At present we haven’t identified a sensible set of changes to allow us to do a “Model 4A” product at significantly less than $35. We’ll keep looking though.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • yoursunny said: The device we purchased last year is the Banana Pi R2.

This was your first mistake, Sinovoip is well known to provide horrible (software) support for their boards. That particular board was pretty crappy in specific regarding software support. You need to look into either Orange Pi (Xunlong) products, Nano Pi (FriendlyArm) products or Odroid (HardKernel) products for better software support outside of the community driven images released by Armbian. The last good Sinovoip (BPi) board that was usable out of the box was the A20. The Sinovoip BPi M2+ boards are 'okay', but you need to use Armbian or H3droid or something like that for it to be stable, their provided OS distributions are pretty poor (for all of their boards).

I would suggest before giving up on ARM that you try using devices from some better vendors and see if you still have the same experience.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@TheLinuxBug said:

Thank you. I really wanted to see the thermals for this 28nm chip. It's seems it throttles it all, even to 600mhz if required.

• williewillie Member

Yeah some of the other benchmark pages have flir pictures. Last night I was hot to buy one of these but frankly I don't know what I'd do with it.

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug default