Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuickPacket - 16th Anniversary Special - Los Angeles - Core i3 530 - 8GB RAM - 2x 3TB HD - $29.99/m! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuickPacket - 16th Anniversary Special - Los Angeles - Core i3 530 - 8GB RAM - 2x 3TB HD - $29.99/m!

124»

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@qps thanks, I think it's fine actually - your network (and service) is the proverbial superior potassium as far as I can tell.

I'm more interested in "the way to San Jose" for the LA server in any case.

EDIT2:

tested scp transfer with ~1 GB file again just now, got about 12.1 MB/s from QP LA to Hetzner Falkenstein and 12.4 MB/s from Hetzner to QP. That's not bad at all if can sustain that rate for more than a few GB.

Tried proxying scp via incero Dallas, slowed down to 9.1 MB/s up and 11.4 MB/s down - which makes sense since would expect that to help only if there's a problem with the direct routes. That's obviously not the case here.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

uptime said: I'm more interested in "the way to San Jose" for the LA server in any case.

Happy to look at any routes you have problems with; pm me or open a ticket.

Thanked by 2uptime Falzo
  • GaleejGaleej Member

Just curious, if this is better than the one advertised here.. Complete noob, please enlighten me.... Support/Performance etc?

• uptimeuptime Member

@Galeej maybe better to open a new thread to compare and contrast the finer points of some other product - as that will have more to do with your specific needs than anything else.

Generally best to avoid derailing a good provider's offer thread too much IMO.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Galeej said: Just curious, if this is better than the one advertised here.. Complete noob, please enlighten me.... Support/Performance etc?

The one you link to is in Germany. Pretty hard to compare a server in Los Angeles with a server in Germany. Opposite sides of the globe. The difference in location matters to most people. You can't even say you are somewhere directly in the middle, as there's the Atlantic Ocean there. Latency from LA to East Coast US is roughly 45-65ms, from East Coast to Germany is probably 80-100ms depending on how it routes. Throughput is going to be much better from Germany to European locations and from Los Angeles to US locations. If none of that matters to you, looking at the offers purely on a hardware basis, the Core i7 you liked to is a significantly faster CPU and the server has more RAM. I can't speak to their service, but I think you'll find a lot of happy customers with us.

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy uptime
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Galeej said: Complete noob, please enlighten me.... Support/Performance etc?

I won't compare us to others, but I will tell you that whether you pay us $5 or $500, you'll be treated right at QuickPacket. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanked by 2skorous DA_Mark
  • GaleejGaleej Member

Thanks and sorry for asking this here. I'm learning and guidance from people around here really helps. I'm located in Nepal and the servers will be for personal use. I would prefer low latency to the servers from location.

• donlidonli Member

@Galeej said:
    Just curious, if this is better than the one advertised here.. Complete noob, please enlighten me.... Support/Performance etc?

What does a "complete noob" want to do with a server instead of say, a much cheaper VPS ?

• GaleejGaleej Member

@donli said:

@Galeej said:

What does a "complete noob" want to do with a server instead of say, a much cheaper VPS ?

More control and resources. I'm trying to move away from Google and hosting many replacements like cryptpad, nextcloud and plex.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@Galeej said:

More control and resources. I'm trying to move away from Google and hosting many replacements like cryptpad, nextcloud and plex.

Ok, not exactly a "complete noob" just someone that's never gotten a dedicated server before. You know how to check your latency to the datacenters with ping, yes ?

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2019

All those 3 should fit in a VM unless you need TBs of storage?

Edit : if you need help, you might want to open up another thread though, and not keep commenting on a provider's offer

• GaleejGaleej Member

@donli said:

@Galeej said:

Ok, not exactly a "complete noob" just someone that's never gotten a dedicated server before. You know how to check your latency to the datacenters with ping, yes ?

Yes I do.