Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NSA broke into Yahoo, Google data centres: Report
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NSA broke into Yahoo, Google data centres: Report

cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

The National Security Agency has secretly broken into the main communications links that connect Yahoo and Google data centres around the world, the Washington Post reported on Wednesday, citing documents obtained from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/enterprise-it/security/NSA-broke-into-Yahoo-Google-data-centres-Report/articleshow/24965331.cms

They Just Don`t Care. Indeed Sad

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/10/new-docs-show-nsa-taps-google-yahoo-data-center-links/

The smiley face shows how seriously they consider the morality of their policies.

• It's shocking! WTH is going on!

• They are fighting terror of course. And all of you are potential terrorists.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

What about Privacy ??

• Privacy is for terrorists. The 4th Amendment to the Constitution is outdated and does not acknowledge the fact we live in a world where another 9/11 is around every corner.

If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear.

• at least they're closer to admitting it.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@ricardo said:
    at least they're closer to admitting it.

What are they admitting? Heroes revealing information about the acts of terrorist organizations such as the NSA is not the same as those organizations admitting their own acts.

• They had said (I'm paraphrasing) that they could not take data from corporate servers in the USA, which is seen as [i]not denying[/i] that they take the data while it's in transit between servers.

Not sure what heroes or terrorists have to do with it. The information has been brought to light and assuming it's all true, I'm still unsurprised.

I'm pretty sure the conversation is way past these 'revelations'. Clearly they will monitor anything they please, as per the news articles about bugging citizens, members of foreign governments, wires between servers etc.

Is there really anything left to admit?

• Guys i think they are doing this to save the world from terror.If you are good then what you guys are worried about?Also i am Asian.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

Fruit of the poisonous tree, two wrongs don't make it right.

• Hm... I'm using gmail, ymail and hotmail. Maybe it's time for me to run my own mail server.

• @ErawanArifNugroho

that does not mean they cant get to you

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2013

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Hm... I'm using gmail, ymail and hotmail. Maybe it's time for me to run my own mail server.

What will be different? The contents of your email correspondence will be copied in transit as opposed at the source or destination ;)

One other thing. Current flap is all about NSA, but it's only one such national security agency of many. All countries have them. All do the same thing, more or less. It has been going on for ages and will continue in the name of national interest (or "national security", if you prefer that convenient catch phrase). The only thing that has been very revealing and, frankly, a bit entertaining to watch, is how naïve most people are, all shocked, disturbed, some even panicked by these revelations ;)

• @andrzej well, the USA citizens are already screwed. Even if they use a server, their communication will be intercepted either at the data center or at their home ISP, etc.
    But for the non-USA citizens that communicate with other non-USA citizens there is still some small chance for privacy, if they use a server outside USA and if their traffic is not routed through USA.

• hehehe.... pouring a gas at a fire, is nice isn't :D

• Indonesian cyber cop, maybe still working under the shadow, but there's a possibility that they don't know what to do for sniffing the data. Other than using vpn, now when I'm sending something important, I split them to three parts.

One from emàil, one from private server, one via sms.

• @rds100 said: @andrzej well, the USA citizens are already screwed. Even if they use a server, their communication will be intercepted either at the data center or at their home ISP, etc.
    But for the non-USA citizens that communicate with other non-USA citizens there is still some small chance for privacy, if they use a server outside USA and if their traffic is not routed through USA.

You mean, like, better to have your data intercepted and collected by the respective French, German, Israeli, Russian, Chinese (to name but a few) agencies, rather than NSA? ;)) This aside, since practically all internet traffic between continents goes through the US anyway, I'm pretty sure NSA gets their copy, too ;)

• The French and German don't have such a big budget for surveillance, so their abilities are probably limited in this regard, compared to the NSA. But yes, i am sure they would like to take a peek at your data too, if they get a chance.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

So encrypt everything and leave the "we dont have anything to hide" people to be targeted first.
    Friends dont send unencrypted communications to friends. Especially if members of a minority: ethnic, religious, political, sexual, whatever.
    The time when everything you say can and will be used against you, no matter the context and accuracy, is here.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • The good news is that these types (NSA etc.) aren't much into sharing with anyone and paranoia is part of the job description, so chances are they will keep all our data pretty safe ;)

The bad news is that, reportedly, NSA leaned on people and compromised encryption standards (the stuff behind SSL etc.), thus opening the door for the more tech savvy third parties (i.e. corresponding agencies of other countries and many others) to take advantage of the same "back doors" sooner or later. And since in nature every action breeds a reaction, those many others are sure to be working overtime to up their game. Especially under pressure resulting from the ongoing flap...

• Privacy has never existed. The fact that the masses think they're safe all the time no matter where is chuckle worthy. Intelligence agencies for governments around the world do this type of thing every day. It's a rarity if they're aren't trying to break into something somewhere at any given moment, it's literally their job to do so. The US is now in the spotlight because they got caught once, so now everyone everywhere is looking for them to screw up so they can jump down throats for it.

Just because it's not in the headlines doesn't mean your own government isn't doing the same thing.

In a week or so. Life will continue, and the people won't care anymore. They'll simply move on the next ridiculous headline that means almost nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • Let's just all go back to using the postal system, then the USPS will quit bitching about being broke all the time.

• enitan092enitan092 Member
    edited October 2013

postal

• @MrObvious said:
    Let's just all go back to using the postal system, then the USPS will quit bitching about being broke all the time.

way easy to intercept.
    they only need man power and after reading your mail.

you will get a repackaged one with a tag (Mail is deemed safe to open courtesy The NSA).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

andrzej said: The good news is that these types (NSA etc.) aren't much into sharing with anyone and paranoia is part of the job description, so chances are they will keep all our data pretty safe ;)

Erf, should i remind you that secret cables used by the government were leaked, that these things are in the press now BECAUSE they were shared with it.
    Willing or not, they are sharing and will continue to do so, not all americns believe in a police state and a lawless country where the government can safely ignore the constitution and international treaties if it suited their backers political, ideological, economical and religious agenda.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2013

@Maounique: leaked - yes! shared - no! There is a subtle but important difference. I'm pretty confident any upcoming Edward Snowdens of this world and cooperating media will not be publishing any of my private emails and other data collected by their employers - NSA or other agencies ;)

This is not to say that I condone said agencies' activities - or Edward Snowden's, for that matter! Simply put, the US has turned into a de facto Police state, while Mr. Snowden is a traitor, who has already done great harm to his country, assumedly with more to come. This is the real world we all live in. Deal with it!

• @MrObvious said:
    Let's just all go back to using the postal system, then the USPS will quit bitching about being broke all the time.

No privacy there either.

The Postal Service on Friday confirmed that it takes a photograph of every letter and package mailed in the United States — about 160 billion pieces last year — and occasionally provides the photos to law enforcement agencies that request them...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/us/postal-service-confirms-photographing-all-us-mail.html?_r=0

Let's just all go back to using the postal system carrier pigeons

• This is probably some ploy for them to steal everyone's Groupons.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited October 2013

Immediately when I saw

“It’s done by machine, so there’s no central area where any of this information would be,” he said. “It’s extremely expensive to keep pictures of billions of pieces of mail. So there’s no need for us to do that.”

I was sure NSA won't mind helping a hand with financing that and providing infrastructure for it in the future...

• Twiddle thumbs until quantum encryption is available. With that, you'll at least get the courtesy of knowing someone is eavesdropping.