Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[LAX/MIA/NYCM] NO SETUP FEE + INSANE DEALS | 150TB BW | 10G Ports | Anti-DDoS | Instant Setup - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[LAX/MIA/NYCM] NO SETUP FEE + INSANE DEALS | 150TB BW | 10G Ports | Anti-DDoS | Instant Setup

2»

Comments

• MrRadic said: You're actually being limited by the server you're downloading from. We have found it tough to find a test download server that can push a full 10G. We have a ton of 10G unmetered customers that max out their port regularly with no fine tuning.

I don't doubt that, it was meant positive that out of the box without any tuning the port is doing over 6Gbps already to our 10GbE Server in NL. A test to one of our clients in NY we just did a few minutes ago maxed out the port easily. So exactly as advertised.

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • @EAgency said:

MrRadic said: You're actually being limited by the server you're downloading from. We have found it tough to find a test download server that can push a full 10G. We have a ton of 10G unmetered customers that max out their port regularly with no fine tuning.

I don't doubt that, it was meant positive that out of the box without any tuning the port is doing over 6Gbps already to our 10GbE Server in NL. A test to one of our clients in NY we just did a few minutes ago maxed out the port easily. So exactly as advertised.

show me the carfax

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited June 2019

@EAgency said:
    So exactly as advertised.

That's what I like to hear. Sorry it took so long to get sorted out, those older configurations don't seem to like the 10G NICs as much.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited June 2019

I decided to give this a try myself. Submitted the request for the 10G NIC to be installed, so waiting on that. Initial deployment took about 5 minutes, sans the 10G NIC, which is a bit unfortunate (I'd rather just wait & not be charged for these days where I don't have what I ordered).

Noticed the CPU is an E3-1271v3, vs the E3-1270v3 on ordering screen. That's nice. MOBO is a Supermicro X10SLL-F. The SSD is solid, CT525MX300SSD1 (20958 hours, SMART tests were fine) .. who wants some new HDD that is more likely to fail, anyway?

The memory setup isn't so hot, with it being four totally different modules. One is a Samsung M391B1G73BH0-CK0 (had me going for a bit, thought I may be able to change them all to DDR3-1600).... alas, the other three are all DDR3-1333 (which is what it said on order screen, after all).

Four different manufacturers -- Kingston, Fujitsu, Super Talent, and the Samsung. Not sure what the lowest common denominator here is, but that's a bit disappointing.

• SirFoxy said: show me the carfax

There you go.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • zevuszevus Member
    edited June 2019

Actually ... original question stands, I guess. You said you got a 2TB SATA and an SSD.

I figured my max speed would be around 4 Gbit/s (in a single direction).... due to the speed limitations of SSD (~400-500MB/s read/write). 10Gbit/s max would be around 1250MB.

Does it not work like that?

24/7 Support really is 24/7 , friendly and professional.

No response for me in ~10 hours. Weekend? ... but then not 24/7

• zevus said: Actually ... original question stands, I guess. You said you got a 2TB SATA and an SSD.

I figured my max speed would be around 4 Gbit/s (in a single direction).... due to the speed limitations of SSD (~400-500MB/s read/write). 10Gbit/s max would be around 1250MB.

In general hdd / ssd can be a huge bottleneck yes, but it depends on how you set up and a few more things if you can saturate a 10GbE port. Things like packet size and fragmentation, file type and size, TCP Congestion Control Algorithm etc also play into the transfer rate.

We use a LVM SSD-backed cache on the ReliableSite server https://blog.jenningsga.com/lvm-caching-with-ssds/ as we only need to push project files to US clients that are time critical and don't need to care about data loss on that server as it's only used for distribution and files are deleted/shredded after all clients have their updates.

1200 MiB/s is enough to saturate 10 Gbps.

benchmark timestamp: 2019-06-09 12:01:57 UTC

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores: 8
    Frequency: 2898.357 MHz
    RAM: 15G
    Swap: 8.0G
    Kernel: Linux 4.15.18-15-pve x86_64

Disks:
    sda 119.2G SSD
    sdb 1.8T HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    2.284 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    3.964 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    1.194 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 56.0 us / 146.1 us / 1.87 ms / 61.4 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
    generated 6.18 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.51 GiB, 1.24 k iops, 309.1 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 1239.78 MiB/s
    2nd run: 1239.78 MiB/s
    3rd run: 738.14 MiB/s
    average: 1072.57 MiB/s

Thanked by 1zevus
    edited June 2019

@zevus said:
    Actually ... original question stands, I guess. You said you got a 2TB SATA and an SSD.

It honestly depends on what you're doing. If your application depends on disk reads, then yes, you're limited there. If you're caching heavily to RAM, then it's doable.

We offer servers with NVMe drives, those use NVMes rated over 3000 MB/s.

Do you have a ticket number I can reference? I didn't immediately see it in the queue of active tickets.

Thanked by 1zevus
  • zevuszevus Member
    edited June 2019

@MrRadic said:

@zevus said:

It honestly depends on what you're doing. If your application depends on disk reads, then yes, you're limited there. If you're caching heavily to RAM, then it's doable.

We offer servers with NVMe drives, those use NVMes rated over 3000 MB/s.

Do you have a ticket number I can reference? I didn't immediately see it in the queue of active tickets.

I started getting responses (to my support emails) two hours ago -- just noticed your response here.

I think I did make a mistake by not taking an NVMe drive (or at least a second SSD for RAID). Is it possible to add something to server later via existing interface, or would that just be something I'd mail support (or sales?) about?

Thanks!

• zevuszevus Member

We use a LVM SSD-backed cache on the ReliableSite server https://blog.jenningsga.com/lvm-caching-with-ssds/ as we only need to push project files to US clients that are time critical and don't need to care about data loss on that server as it's only used for distribution and files are deleted/shredded after all clients have their updates.

Ah, was thinking of something like that ... re; I have 32GB of RAM -- could set aside some 24GB of this and (usually) have a reasonable amount left over. That'd work as well.

@zevus said:
    I think I did make a mistake by not taking an NVMe drive (or at least a second SSD for RAID). Is it possible to add something to server later via existing interface, or would that just be something I'd mail support (or sales?) about?

Thanks!

Open a ticket with the billing department, it's a case by case basis.