Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many VPSes can my server support? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many VPSes can my server support?

2»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Joined 6:30AM, then rushed to open this thread.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Summer is short, lads.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran

@PintsizedSix40 said:
    I don't really know much about server hardware and have only worked with PCs. I'm wondering how many VPSes (is that the right spelling?) my server can support. I recently picked up an R510 with two Xenon L5520s + 12GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM (part not specified). I'm planning to upgrade it to 128GB of DDR3 and two X5680s. Without worrying about disk space, how many VPSes could I fit on both the upgraded and non-upgraded one?

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention these VPSes will be 1GB RAM 1 vCPU.

Welcome to summer!!!

• I'm not trying to open a hosting company. IPs cost around the same as the server and I don't have enough experiance in making VPSes perform stabally. I'll probably just switch to Dedicated Servers (if I'm using this term incorrectly, I mean a virtual server with no shared cores). I am looking to host, but on a much smaller scale (3-10). I'm trying to make things perform stabally. I'm not trying to host more than 3 before I upgrade the RAM & CPU.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2019

@PintsizedSix40 said:
    ... Xeon 5520 ... Xeon 5680 ... 128 GB
    ... 4 1tb 7.2K disks in RAID 6.

Depending on what kind of product/service you want to achieve, that (with the Xeon 5680) would be 12C/24T and you could have between 6 ("high end" 2 true dedicated vCores) and 48 (low end) or even more, if you want to go hardcore - and probably short lived - for the cheapest corner of the market.

As for the disks I strongly suggest to rethink your plans. 7.2krpm may sound OK for the consumer market and may be OK for the lowest end segment, but for decent server 10k is what you want (higher end spindles are 15k btw), or, even better, for SSDs, certainly if you aim at the mid or high end segment.

The hardware, however, is just the base; it's rarely decisive. Nor btw. is high end vs. low end. Cramming as many low end VPSs into a given hardware or offering decent mid to high end VPSs all earn about the same money; in fact, profit in the higher segments may be better (albeit hardly due to hardware).

By far more decisive are automation, support, network and networking. That, however, is not something to be simply purchased. Among other factors experience plays an important role. Another important factor is location because a lot depends on that; power cost is an example, connectivity and costs for connectivity is another.

Finally, hosting is not a business like selling potatoes on a market. You'll have to invest lots of patience, resources (incl. money) and time because it's very hard to sell for a nobody, so you'll need to start with very, very attractive offers and almost give them away for free to establish a customer base and a name.

Based on what and how you ask I'd strongly advise against you trying to enter the business. In case your question was aiming at private/home lab use, don't even care, just start, try this and that (e.g. containers vs. KVM) and see how things evolve.

@angstrom said:

I wouldn't make too much out of that. Maybe he's far longer here under another name and created a new account for his plans to become a provider.

Thanked by 1PintsizedSix40
  • Thank you. Luckily, automation and networking are things I have more experience in. I will also take a look at the 10K+ drives.

• PintsizedSix40 said: I'm planning on 4 1tb 7.2K disks in RAID 6

I think with only 4 disks, and since you're probably going to buy new disks, you should consider going for raid 10 instead of raid 6. You should consider raid 6 only if you plan to use more disks.

For your needs, it may be a better idea to just rent a dedicated server somewhere and play with it and see if your project goes well. If you like what you're getting involved in, maybe you can invest a bit of money into better hardware than what you're planning to buy right now.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2019

@desperand said:

@ricardo said:
    None, you'll shortly discover beer and women and those VPS will just be a distant memory

sad life...

Yeah! What good are these, wimen? wamen? wiimans? species and beer, if you don't have any servers... left?

• @PintsizedSix40 said:
    I don't really know much about server hardware and have only worked with PCs. I'm wondering how many VPSes (is that the right spelling?) my server can support. I recently picked up an R510 with two Xenon L5520s + 12GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM (part not specified). I'm planning to upgrade it to 128GB of DDR3 and two X5680s. Without worrying about disk space, how many VPSes could I fit on both the upgraded and non-upgraded one?

IF your server has only 12G ram now, i guess you can create maximum 9 vps because each vps has 1G, the rest 3G is for server running.

• donlidonli Member

@IvanHugo said:

@PintsizedSix40 said:

IF your server has only 12G ram now, i guess you can create maximum 9 vps because each vps has 1G, the rest 3G is for server running.

One day you will be shocked to learn about overselling arithmetic.

@jsg said:

@angstrom said:

I wouldn't make too much out of that. Maybe he's far longer here under another name and created a new account for his plans to become a provider.

Of course, I make a lot out of that! (And not only me, I suspect!) But it's not the only variable! It's also the question asked! And how it's asked! And it's also the approaching summer! So, yes, I (and others) choose to make a lot out of that. (And if things turn out differently, I'll be happy to acknowledge that I misjudged the situation, but until then ...)

Thanked by 2uptime Yura
  • YuraYura Member

@angstrom said:

@jsg said:

@angstrom said:

Of course, I make a lot out of that! (And not only me, I suspect!) But it's not the only variable! It's also the question asked! And how it's asked! And it's also the approaching summer!

Did you eat all your crayons? You! Sound! So! Excited! :lol:

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • ricardoricardo Member

Janevski said: Yeah! What good are these, wimen? wamen? wiimans? species and beer, if you don't have any servers... left?

You can always rent from the cloud for a few hours in times of need, or lust.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • zhujizhuji Member

ssd 100
    hdd 40

• defaultdefault Veteran

Debian?!

@Yura said:

@angstrom said:

@jsg said:

@angstrom said:

Of course, I make a lot out of that! (And not only me, I suspect!) But it's not the only variable! It's also the question asked! And how it's asked! And it's also the approaching summer!

Did you eat all your crayons? You! Sound! So! Excited! :lol:

It was just after my strong morning coffee! :smiley:

My crayons are too nice to eat! :smile:

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

other ways to ask this question:

How many abusers will it take to tank your upstream ?

How many DMCA demands can you handle ?

How many pissed-off customers can your ticket system support ?

How many chargebacks until payment processors blacklist you ?

Only one way to find out for sure though.

The solstice is nigh.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I had a server with 12 physical cores and 96GB memory. I crammed 80 VMs of 1GB each. I had to write a lot of scripts to automate VirtualBox.
    I/O is the worst part of performance when the server had only one 7200rpm drive. It started to improve when a second drive was added and half of the VMs were moved over.
    It's for university educational purposes. Nobody attempted to abuse because they'll get their VM turned off and an F for their grades.

12GB memory means 10 VMs with VirtualBox. You'll get better I/O than my users.
    I was a victim of AlphaRacks and their I/O is worse than my server.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • leang97leang97 Member

@yoursunny said:
    I had a server with 12 physical cores and 96GB memory. I crammed 80 VMs of 1GB each. I had to write a lot of scripts to automate VirtualBox.
    I/O is the worst part of performance when the server had only one 7200rpm drive. It started to improve when a second drive was added and half of the VMs were moved over.
    It's for university educational purposes. Nobody attempted to abuse because they'll get their VM turned off and an F for their grades.

12GB memory means 10 VMs with VirtualBox. You'll get better I/O than my users.
    I was a victim of AlphaRacks and their I/O is worse than my server.

That really do sound like the machine in my college. My college have an Intel Xeon Silver with all SAS drives with around the said amount of rams. It was a disaster. They asks students(us) to deploy all our final projects to the machine, and creating windows VMs for students, each team for 1. And yeah, the wannacry happened. But the IO from that machine is WORSE than DISASTER. Still cramping students into that poor machine, I need to spend like 30-40 seconds to rightclick menu on the desktop to show. I hope they can get another machine with SSDs, but I think it wont happen. My home server lab have better machines with SSDs RAID and not overloaded IO. That machine in my college terrible.

• @ricardo said:

Janevski said: Yeah! What good are these, wimen? wamen? wiimans? species and beer, if you don't have any servers... left?

You can always rent from the cloud for a few hours in times of need, or lust.

What good is a cloud server, if i can't bite it?
    What good is anything, if i can't bite it?
    How can i know it exists?
    Material goods for the heart, parametaphysical goods for the mind...
    Potatoe for the soul.

Thanked by 2Breeno uptime
  • ricardoricardo Member

@Janevski

You are a passionate man, I'm sure you give your VPS servers your full load.

Thanked by 2uptime Janevski
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2019

@ricardo said:
    @Janevski

You are a passionate man

Indeed.
    Being passionate helped me drink a lot of pickle and beetroot jar juice during the years.
    Amazingly refreshing acidosis.