Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many VPSes can my server support?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many VPSes can my server support?

edited May 2019 in General

I don't really know much about server hardware and have only worked with PCs. I'm wondering how many VPSes (is that the right spelling?) my server can support. I recently picked up an R510 with two Xenon L5520s + 12GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM (part not specified). I'm planning to upgrade it to 128GB of DDR3 and two X5680s. Without worrying about disk space, how many VPSes could I fit on both the upgraded and non-upgraded one?

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention these VPSes will be 1GB RAM 1 vCPU.

Comments

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

There is no specific answer to that question, due to the limitless variables that come into play.
    I suppose the answer therefore is: " it depends".

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

• deankdeank Member, Troll

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited May 2019

If you're planning to sell VPSes then please stop right there.
    Take that thought and terminate it with extreme prejudice.
    Double-tap that thought multiple times as if it's a super-zombie!

If you're not planning to sell VPSes and this is all for personal learning or development, then why even care much?!? Just load up the VMs with stuff you want to learn/fiddle/test and adjust resources accordingly if the box crashes or slows down too much!

• donlidonli Member

@PintsizedSix40 said:
    I don't really know much about server hardware and have only worked with PCs. I'm wondering how many VPSes (is that the right spelling?) my server can support. I recently picked up an R510 with two Xenon L5520s + 12GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM (part not specified). I'm planning to upgrade it to 128GB of DDR3 and two X5680s. Without worrying about disk space, how many VPSes could I fit on both the upgraded and non-upgraded one?

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention these VPSes will be 1GB RAM 1 vCPU.

You have all summer to find out the answer for sure.

• NiPlexNiPlex Member

There is no way to tell you what you want to hear here. There is no way we can figure what your "customers" will be using their servers for. Please do not start selling something with so limited knowledge

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • You can create as many VPSes as you like if you use ovz but they will be pretty unusable. In any case, colocation and ip costs make it kinda pointless to colocate with the servers you mentioned.

• ur question can be better answered by Alpharacks

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

You don't mention what drives you'll be using. Disk IO is more of a factor than CPU and RAM.

• About tree fiddy

Thanked by 1uptime
  • shellshell Member

you can make 128 idle vps

• virtua_cloudvirtua_cloud Member, Patron Provider

It depends of what you're using to create your VPSes (OpenVZ, KVM...).

• 12 /1 = 12 VPS servers

• leang97leang97 Member

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    If you're planning to sell VPSes then please stop right there.
    Take that thought and terminate it with extreme prejudice.
    Double-tap that thought multiple times as if it's a super-zombie!

If you're not planning to sell VPSes and this is all for personal learning or development, then why even care much?!? Just load up the VMs with stuff you want to learn/fiddle/test and adjust resources accordingly if the box crashes or slows down too much!

Can you explain to me why cant sell vps from that machine? From my point of view X5680 is not that bad, if he change the raid controller and put some SSDs in,maybe it can do the job.

• cybertech said: ur question can be better answered by Alpharacks

I believe their answer will be: limitless

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • leang97leang97 Member

@jordynegen11 said:
    12 /1 = 12 VPS servers

Is your business making profit if a 24 core dedicated server that will sell 24 vps each with a core that cost your customer 3-5Euro a month? While the machine itself costs around 3k to build?

If my math is right a typical BRAND NEW 12 core xeon cost around 600-700usd, by using the logic u propose and your VM price, you can make around 2USD per vm (starting price)
    for a month if u can sell 12 of them then u makes 24USD, that means you need to take 29 months just to earn back the cost of the CPU, no profits. So you basically making a losing business here. SO the moral of the story is sure you will oversell the numbers of VMs by the number of cores available in your machine to makes profits, because some of your customer will just idle their machine for days and weeks like all of us here. In conclusion, I reject your statement of 12/1.

Thanked by 1Breeno
  • YuraYura Member

Did anyone notice OP's username? The answer is right there.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited May 2019

@leang97 said:

@jordynegen11 said:
    12 /1 = 12 VPS servers

Is your business making profit if a 24 core dedicated server that will sell 24 vps each with a core that cost your customer 3-5Euro a month? While the machine itself costs around 3k to build?

If my math is right a typical BRAND NEW 12 core xeon cost around 600-700usd, by using the logic u propose and your VM price, you can make around 2USD per vm (starting price)
    for a month if u can sell 12 of them then u makes 24USD, that means you need to take 29 months just to earn back the cost of the CPU, no profits. So you basically making a losing business here. SO the moral of the story is sure you will oversell the numbers of VMs by the number of cores available in your machine to makes profits, because some of your customer will just idle their machine for days and weeks like all of us here. In conclusion, I reject your statement of 12/1.

I was more trying to say there is not really a limit. He should test and think about how much performance he wants to offer.

Is he gonna oversell really hard? or is he making his VPS servers more expensive and don't oversell at all? His choice, we can't help him with that.

• leang97 said: Can you explain to me why cant sell vps from that machine? From my point of view X5680 is not that bad, if he change the raid controller and put some SSDs in,maybe it can do the job.

These days, even RaspberryPi hosting is a thing!

Fact remains is that the hardware is not the problem. The problem is that the OP is asking how many VPSes he can cram onto a single system so he is clearly not qualified to take people's money on the assumption that he'll provide them with a quality VPS service.

Thanked by 3uptime Daniel15 leang97
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

I recently picked up an R510 with two Xenon L5520s

Assuming the pure isotope at standard temperature and pressure, with a density of 5.761 kg/m3, each Xenon should support exactly 54.

A bit better price/performance than Argon, and more stable than Radon - which makes it a excellent choice for enterprise use.

Together with an Octane™ cache, one may provide superior potassium for mass consumption - and profit accordingly from this noble combination!

Thanked by 1goodwin
  • lorianlorian Member

It depends:
    If you don't want to let your customers get performance issues, 8-10 KVM-VPSs would be ok. Then you have 2-4 GB RAM for your hypervisor. Also think about giving the VPS' 2 cores. It's much more stabile.
    If you prefer cheap hosting, you can overbook this server with 15-20 Container-VPSs, like LXC. But I would not recommend that.

@KuJoe is right, IO is much more important, especially when you have upgraded it to 128GB RAM.
    Think about a real nice SAS/SSD RAID10 with caching.

Also you should think about newer CPUs: L5520s are more heatings, than CPUs.

• edited May 2019

I'm not planning on cramming as many VPSes as possible, I'm just looking for a good number. As for the storage, I'm planning on 4 1tb 7.2K disks in RAID 6. Also, I meant 1vCPU, not 1vCPU & 1GB RAM. I'm assuming the answer to that is around 10.

• With OpenVZ, I opened 60 VPSes (1GB mem) on a 32GB mem Server.

• goodwingoodwin Member
    edited May 2019

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Fact remains is that the hardware is not the problem. The problem is that the OP is asking how many VPSes he can cram onto a single system so he is clearly not qualified to take people's money on the assumption that he'll provide them with a quality VPS service.

Nice try demotivating someone from starting a summerhost, but believe me or not, this won't work. That place is just exact to get people paying for anything that costs < 3$ without even looking at specs.

PEOPLE ARE STILL BUYING FROM ALPHARACAS, I hope this is enough as an argument.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2019

Yeah, he will start a host no matter what we say. I mean it's summer and they've got nothing to do.

Gotta earn some money for steam games or a new GPU. I don't blame OP. Rather I blame the idiots signing up for crap services.

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@deank said:
    Yeah, he will start a host no matter what we say. I mean it's summer and they've got nothing to do.

Gotta earn some money for steam games or a new GPU. I don't blame OP. Rather I blame the idiots signing up for crap services.

But paying for 3 years brings the price down to $6/year!!!

(RIET HiFormance)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Haha, I like all the answers! As it’s for summer host use OpenVZ and you will be load unlimited VPS accounts with unlimited server resources 😂😂😂

• ricardoricardo Member

None, you'll shortly discover beer and women and those VPS will just be a distant memory

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @ricardo said:
    None, you'll shortly discover beer and women and those VPS will just be a distant memory

sad life...

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • ricardoricardo Member

desperand said: sad life...

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Theorising a hosting company with little experience would be below that life choice, in my opinion. No harm in asking though.

Thanked by 1desperand