Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup flash sale - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup flash sale

13»

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member

Welcome to the real world.

Oh shit.

LET is where I come to get away from the real world ...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@uptime said:

Welcome to the real world.

Oh shit.

LET is where I come to get away from the real world ...

Better then alcohol, so good choice.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

currently spending much more on idling servers than booze, so I dunno ...

may be time to re-evaluate my priorities

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited May 2019

Anyone who has purchased their non-dedicated-thread 'VPS' lines in the past,
    could you comment on how long a guest's process is allowed to hog a single thread?

(I'm thinking borgbackup running on 200GB of data with medium level zstd/lzma compression enabled , not Cpu mining. )

If there's an opportunity to swap out a hard idling dedi, I should take it.

• FalzoFalzo Member

vimalware said: could you comment on how long a guest's process is allowed to hog a single thread?

you can hog whatever you get out of it 24/7. back when crypto was not forbidden I did some experiments on there including mining for a while. never saw a problem and also no real drop in hashrates etc. (mining seems an easy way to monitor that ;-))

also I run borgbackup with datasets up to 600GB, no problem.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

vimalware said: I'll wait for netcup to introduce a 12eur/qtr optane cached special. (300gb pretty plz)

Willpower is going strong so far.

willpower (won't power) > wantpower ...

I'd be more likely to seriously consider a netcup deal with 200 or 300 GB and decent disk speed and network for something like 3 or 4 euro/m as well. Though, thinking about it now - I may have already passed on a few of those from netcup in the last year without even noticing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(That recent 4 core / 8 GB / 200 GB / €6.66 UltraVPS.eu deal sure got my number though ...)

(North of $7 it's easier to stick with a cheap kimsufi in France for that leg of the backup grind - the only thing that I'm feeling somewhat itchy about is that 100 mbit network speed for kimsufi vs the gigabit from netcup ... But I'm not expecting to see much difference in bottom-line speed to west coast US - and it's all processing in the background anyway.)

Can see the appeal for other use cases and for people in Europe though ... especially the few Germans who seem to enjoy the discipline of a strict contractual obligation. Not that there's anything wrong with that ... :)

Thanked by 1vimalware