Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup flash sale - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup flash sale

Comments

• pullangcubopullangcubo Member
    edited May 2019

Latest flash sale:

VPS 1000 G8 Plus
    - 4 vCores, KVM-Technologie
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 750 GB SSD-Performance (Cached with Optane™)
    - 40 TB Traffic mit 1 GBit/s, anschließend 100 MBit/s
    - 7,49€/month

Can someone clarify this: this deal's minimum term is 1 month but its billing period is 3 months...does this mean that I can cancel anytime but I need to pay by 3-month period? And if I cancel before the third month, I can just request for a refund?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@pullangcubo said:
    Latest flash sale:

VPS 1000 G8 Plus
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 7,49€/month

There's no way that can be 750 GB! And what do they mean by "SSD-Performance"? And why the "TM" next to "Optane"? And Optane would cost too much anyway! This is all bullsh*t!

(Sorry, I'm not very good at such skepticism!)

Thanked by 1vimalware

@pullangcubo said:
    Latest flash sale:

VPS 1000 G8 Plus
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 7,49€/month

Can someone clarify this: this deal's minimum term is 1 month but its billing period is 3 months...does this mean that I can cancel anytime but I need to pay by 3-month period? And if I cancel before the third month, I can just request for a refund?

Due to their policy that you have to cancel at least 31 days in advance, if you sign up, you're effectively committed to the first two months. If you then cancel beginning with the third month, they'll certainly give you the remainder as account credit. I'm less certain about whether you can request the remainder as a refund, so perhaps someone (@Falzo?) can confirm or disconfirm this.

@pullangcubo said:
    Latest flash sale:

VPS 1000 G8 Plus
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 7,49€/month

netcup are certainly on a roll with these flash specials. This is comparable to their VPS Eierpower 1 from Easter, the only difference being that the VPS Eierpower 1 had 12 GB RAM for 8,75€, but +4 GB RAM for +1,26€ probably made the VPS Eierpower 1 a better deal overall. Even so, this deal is also very good. It won't last long.

• alegeekalegeek Member

@angstrom said:
    Due to their policy that you have to cancel at least 31 days in advance, if you sign up, you're effectively committed to the first two months. If you then cancel beginning with the third month, they'll certainly give you the remainder as account credit. I'm less certain about whether you can request the remainder as a refund, so perhaps someone (@Falzo?) can confirm or disconfirm this.

When I recently tested the Root Server range, I pre-paid for 6 months and when I cancelled it was added as account credit which I could then withdraw via a bank transfer (which I did, payment cleared in 2 working days).

@alegeek said:

@angstrom said:

When I recently tested the Root Server range, I pre-paid for 6 months and when I cancelled it was added as account credit which I could then withdraw via a bank transfer (which I did, payment cleared in 2 working days).

Okay, I see, but do you mean an EU-internal (SEPA) bank transfer? I doubt that this would work for anyone outside of the EU.

I suspect that @pullangcubo was thinking of a refund via PayPal, which strikes me as unlikely.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • alegeekalegeek Member

Yes, it was a SEPA transfer.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • I can only say that Netcup provides excellent value and their KVMs are generally very solid. They're very "to-the-letter" in terms of their contracts and as long as you respect that you're all covered. Many of these promotional sales don't have the usual 30 days guarantee for (as I understand).

That and the fact that the vServers (non-dedicated cores) VPSs don't come with many flags for the cpu (AES is there on all of them but no AVX for e.g.) is a bit of a disappointment. I know they don't want to give the vmx flags for virtualization since there's an additional, usually relatively exorbitant charge for it.

Nothing to complain about based on the reliability/availability and pricing/features of the services.

How I wish there were additional locations/network options to choose from. I'm just a bit leery of having a major concentration of important VMs in their one facility.

Thanked by 2Falzo angstrom
  • FalzoFalzo Member

angstrom said: If you then cancel beginning with the third month, they'll certainly give you the remainder as account credit. I'm less certain about whether you can request the remainder as a refund, so perhaps someone (@Falzo?) can confirm or disconfirm this.

so far all things I have with them are either matching in terms of contract length and payment amount or longer contract with split payments - not the other way around.
    so can't confirm nor deny how they handle this, especially if not within SEPA range.
    maybe ask their billing/sales before ordering?

nullnothere said: Many of these promotional sales don't have the usual 30 days guarantee for (as I understand).

afaik the 'Root Server' are covered by the satisfaction guarantee, while the 'VPS' are not.

Thanked by 2angstrom nullnothere
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@angstrom said:

@pullangcubo said:
    Latest flash sale:

VPS 1000 G8 Plus
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 7,49€/month

There's no way that can be 750 GB! And what do they mean by "SSD-Performance"? And why the "TM" next to "Optane"? And Optane would cost too much anyway! This is all bullsh*t!

Well, I had skepticism about the SSD Performance JUST that.
    And Benchmarks have proven me correct.
    Change my mind.

@Neoon said:

@angstrom said:

@pullangcubo said:
    Latest flash sale:

VPS 1000 G8 Plus
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 7,49€/month

Well, I had skepticism about the SSD Performance JUST that.
    And Benchmarks have proven me correct.
    Change my mind.

@Neoon! I'm probably the last person on LET who wants to argue with you! :smile:

"SSD Performance" is admittedly a vague marketing term (I don't say that I approve of this term!), which means something like "An SAS that performs so well that you may take it to be an SSD". If correct, then (i) if you do take it to be an SSD because of its (impressive) performance, then all the better, but (ii) if you don't take it to be an SSD because of its (less-than-impressive) performance, then, well, too bad, c'est la vie. Either way, we're not in the area of proving or disproving anything.

By the way, my impression (which others have confirmed over the past couple of years) is that netcup's SAS disks do perform well (for SAS), but whether we would want to label this "SSD Performance" is another question.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@alegeek said:
    Yes, it was a SEPA transfer.

Probably, refunds work only for SEPA transfers, but if it's really important to know in advance, best to ask beforehand (as @Falzo said).

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited May 2019

@Neoon do you plan to become providers soon after NanoKVM beta test?

Looks like yes, do you plan to offer real "SSD Performance" servers?

What will be the price? $100? $200? $1000?

Oh, sorry I've skepticism that your customers will need to overpay because it's expensive to you as provider to keep those servers.

Otherwise I don't see the reason why you're arguing here. Doesn't make sense at all.

Anyways, who cares about your skepticism? Provider is solid and has been years in this business.

alexvolk said: You do not know fucking marketing bullshit

I was wrong, you don't even understand the meaning of LET/LEB.

If we were looking for expensive servers it's easy to signup with AWS/Azure/GC or just looking offers on WHT.

Neoon said: Benchmarks have proven me correct.

Benchmarks on an empty node could look better however what matter is stability overtime what netcup does provide excellently.

Neoon said: Change my mind.

OK. This is what will change your mind:

• Apply for provider tag
    • Rent Kimsufi server
    • Post your offer. Explain that is expensive because it's empty node and you need to pay for it.
    • ????
    • Deadpool!
  • Why would somebody bashing @Neoon for his free nat KVM? He help a lot of LET member..

Thanked by 1muffin

@alexvolk said: Otherwise I don't see the reason why you're arguing here. Doesn't make sense at all.

Well, as I tried to say above, I think that he wanted to test a marketing term ("SSD-Performance") using benchmarks, but as long as the marketing term remains vague, you can't really prove anything one way or another.

Thanked by 1alexvolk

@angstrom said:

@alexvolk said: Otherwise I don't see the reason why you're arguing here. Doesn't make sense at all.

Well, as I tried to say above, I think that he wanted to test a marketing term ("SSD-Performance") using benchmarks, but as long as the marketing term remains vague, you can't really prove anything one way or another.

Well, the term they used, is pretty precise.
    SSD Performance, which states SSD Performance.

They did not said, SSD like Performance, which would say yea its like SSD a bit better then Spinning rust without a cache.

@Neoon said:

@angstrom said:

Well, the term they used, is pretty precise.
    SSD Performance, which states SSD Performance.

They did not said, SSD like Performance, which would say yea its like SSD a bit better then Spinning rust without a cache.

Could we agree that the "SSD-Performance" could mean "First-generation not-the-best-quality SCSI-SSD performance"? :smile:

Anyway, I think that I give up! :smile:

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited May 2019

@chocolateshirt said:
    Why would somebody bashing @Neoon for his free nat KVM?

Why he is bashing another provider while he is trying to interpret only one word ?

This is LET where we are looking for good offers and not something what he is providing for "free". LET members to whom @Neoon has helped with "free" servers should just take a look at free vps forums not LET.

Neoon said: Well, the term they used, is pretty precise. SSD Performance, which states SSD Performance.

1.5TB of pure SSD for €15 or 750GB of pure SSD for €7? Still not talking about RAID?

It exactly states that it cached using Optane.

I don't understand dutch/german language however translated via google:

https://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/vserver/blitzverkauf-vps-1000-g8-plus/

750 GB of Cached with Optane ™ (SSD) performance
    The Plus version of our VPS offers plenty of hard drive storage space based on Intel (R) Optane (TM) technology. The Intel (R) Optane (TM) used extends the existing 10K SAS hard drive network by a high-performance and large cache.

• @alexvolk said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    Why would somebody bashing @Neoon for his free nat KVM?

Why he is bashing another provider while he is trying to interpret only one word ?

Why are you butthurt over it? Did you own Netcup? Even netcup rep does not exists here.

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Why are you butthurt over it? Did you own Netcup? Even netcup rep does not exists here.

This is wrong forum for "free" vps providers which would like to be a "paid" provider later.

Why do you need netcup rep for only one missing work "like" on web-site?

That's enough?

• too bad cannot put fanboys on an ignore list here or should i say undercover paid reps

• There are lies, damned lies and statistics benchmarks:

What I've seen and experienced so far (limited time of course):

a) The Optane cached offers are definitely better than the vanilla SAS offers

b) The Optane cached performance is significantly better IOPS wise than vanilla SAS/HDD performance and granted that it may not match pure SSD (or better SSD performance) from some vendors.

c) I sort of consider these VPSs are Storage + Regular VPSs combined in a warped sense - they have excellent storage capacity and what I call really good performance considering that many other storage KVMs are either quite poor resource wise or that they do not stack up IOPS performance wise.

d) I've found Netcup performance to be very consistent - at least to the point that whenever I need the IO performance it is there for me to use and reflects in whatever task I'm doing at that time I needed the performance for. Again YMMV but it works well for me and I consider it excellent value.

Here are some Optane numbers:

# ioping -R -w 5 /var/tmp

--- /var/tmp (ext4 /dev/sda3) ioping statistics ---
    86.9 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 17.8 k iops, 69.5 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 40 us / 56 us / 2.53 ms / 28 us

# ioping -L -R -w 5 /var/tmp

--- /var/tmp (ext4 /dev/sda3) ioping statistics ---
    14.9 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 3.15 k iops, 786.6 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 186 us / 317 us / 5.46 ms / 214 us

# dd write tests (with conv=fdatasync)

1GB [64k block x 16k ]            : 356 MB/s
       1GB [16k block x 64k ]            : 424 MB/s
       1GB [4k block x 256k ]            : 447 MB/s
       1GB [1M block x 1024 ]            : 464 MB/s

Average 1GB Disk Write Speed       : 422 MB/s

and for comparison here a similar benchmark from the Netcup regular 320GB SAS VPS:

--- /var/tmp (ext4 /dev/sda2) ioping statistics ---
    8.16 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 1.66 k iops, 6.48 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 130 us / 603 us / 19.3 ms / 640 us

--- /var/tmp (ext4 /dev/sda2) ioping statistics ---
    4.08 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 846 iops, 211.6 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 447 us / 1.18 ms / 17.4 ms / 697 us

1GB [64k block x 16k ]            : 317 MB/s
       1GB [16k block x 64k ]            : 316 MB/s
       1GB [4k block x 256k ]            : 297 MB/s
       1GB [1M block x 1024 ]            : 315 MB/s

Average 1GB Disk Write Speed       : 311 MB/s

For comparison here a pure SSD benchmark from one of my VPSs:

--- /var/tmp (ext4 /dev/vda1) ioping statistics ---
    60.4 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 12.6 k iops, 49.1 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 41 us / 79 us / 12.4 ms / 75 us

--- /var/tmp (ext4 /dev/vda1) ioping statistics ---
    15.2 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 3.23 k iops, 809.0 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 158 us / 309 us / 13.4 ms / 164 us

1GB [64k block x 16k ]            : 548 MB/s
       1GB [16k block x 64k ]            : 1.1 GB/s
       1GB [4k block x 256k ]            : 992 MB/s
       1GB [1M block x 1024 ]            : 1.2 GB/s

Average 1GB Disk Write Speed       : 973 MB/s

I'm happy with what they offer considering the amount of storage I'm getting at the price (along with a resource rich VPS as such).

From my experience I've also been disappointed at many other VPSs that do have >100GB of storage as they're not really great usability wise.

Rather than pointless argue over a buzz word, I say evaluate if it suits your need and then choose to invest in it or not as the case may be.

I put my money where my mouth is and have been quite satisfied with the Netcup performance and I hope it remains good value for money as they possibly "load" more customers on that package/hostnode/whatever (and that there's no abuse that runs it down).

• I'll wait for netcup to introduce a 12eur/qtr optane cached special. (300gb pretty plz)

Willpower is going strong so far.

Thanked by 1uptime

@silverdawn said:
    too bad cannot put fanboys on an ignore list here or should i say undercover paid reps

Oh, wait, you're the guy who started this thread,

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157226/cpu-steal-with-2-dedicated-cores-on-well-known-root-server-hosting-product

but couldn't bother to say that it was netcup or to follow up on anything asked by others in that thread.

Right.

(I assume that you've canceled your netcup Root-Server since then.)

Thanked by 2alexvolk uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

my favorite "cancelling netcup" thread:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/136648/please-explicitly-tell-netcup-you-want-cancel-it-now-and-ask-for-confirmation/p1

tl;dr: classic LET drama with much bad noise and ill will, but if I remember correctly misunderstanding eventually somewhat almost partially resolved after some online group therapy.

(a quick scroll through that mess does help me resist the urge to splurge though)

Thanked by 2angstrom vimalware
    edited May 2019

@uptime said:
    my favorite "cancelling netcup" thread:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/136648/please-explicitly-tell-netcup-you-want-cancel-it-now-and-ask-for-confirmation/p1

tl;dr: classic LET drama with much bad noise and ill will, but if I remember correctly misunderstanding eventually somewhat almost partially resolved after some online group therapy.

(a quick scroll through that mess does help me resist the urge to splurge though)

What a painful thread that was, beginning in January 2018 and ending in February 2019! It was a difficult lesson for the OP, learning about the notion of a contract, but by the end, he seemed to get it (maybe). But it was a painful journey.

:smile:

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • uptimeuptime Member

painful to read as well, just messy misery all around. Good stuff.

I should bookmark it - and keep a rubber band around my wrist to snap from time to time to remind me not to ever read it again.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@angstrom said:
    Could we agree that the "SSD-Performance" could mean "First-generation not-the-best-quality SCSI-SSD performance"? :smile:

Its misleading stuff aka marketing bullshit, which they have written into the offer.
    There is no discussion about it, of course as advanced "linux iso" seeder, you see it.

But I am pretty sure, that people get fooled into that, pure Clickbait as the benchmarks have shown.

@alexvolk said:
    1.5TB of pure SSD for €15 or 750GB of pure SSD for €7? Still not talking about RAID?

It exactly states that it cached using Optane.

Yea the cache is mentioned, wonderful but thats not my point.

@alexvolk said:

@chocolateshirt said:

This is wrong forum for "free" vps providers which would like to be a "paid" provider later.

No, the hole Panel is made for NAT KVM only, there is no intention to offer that.

Why do you need netcup rep for only one missing work "like" on web-site?

That's enough?

I mean I made my point, but you still wont get it.
    Depends on you, if you need more discussion.

• ksekse Member

@Neoon said:
    Its misleading stuff aka marketing bullshit, which they have written into the offer.
    There is no discussion about it, of course as advanced "linux iso" seeder, you see it.

But I am pretty sure, that people get fooled into that, pure Clickbait as the benchmarks have shown.

Well.. if you are unable to read and understand the product details / specifications, you shouldn't operate a Server. I don't think that someone who does not understand whats written there is able to administrate a server properly.

Thanked by 1alexvolk

@kse said:

@Neoon said:

Well.. if you are unable to read and understand the product details / specifications, you shouldn't operate a Server. I don't think that someone who does not understand whats written there is able to administrate a server properly.

Welcome to the real world.

Thanked by 1uptime