Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Currently on $5/m digital ocean VPS, Looking for reliable alternative host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Currently on $5/m digital ocean VPS, Looking for reliable alternative host

wpcwpc Member

Hello,
I'm on the super tiny digital ocean VPS with 1GB ram and was looking at all the deals posted here. All of them look so good but when I look at the forum posts there are so many people saying they are bad for one reason or another. Any suggestions on a good reliable host? My main concern is reliability then cost.

Thanks,
wpc

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Get a slice!

Francisco

Thanked by 2jetchirag masteri
  • donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@wpc said:
    Hello,
    I'm on the super tiny digital ocean VPS with 1GB ram and was looking at all the deals posted here. All of them look so good but when I look at the forum posts there are so many people saying they are bad for one reason or another. Any suggestions on a good reliable host?

Well...

My main concern is reliability then cost.

I'd probably stay with DigitalOcean. Are you satisfied with their reliability?

Added: And what part of the world do you need the VPS to be in?

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

@wpc I hope you check us out as well if you have not already.

Let me know if I can help in anyway. :)

• donlidonli Member

@launchvps said:
    @wpc I hope you check us out as well if you have not already.

I was just checking you out and I see on your List of Available Installation ISOs:

https://cp.launchvps.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/2/List-of-Available-Installation-ISOs.html

that Debian 9 isn't listed, is it available?

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

@donli

Ah, I will update this. My apologies.

Yes, it is available for LXC, KVM Template, and KVM ISO.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• @Francisco said:
    Get a slice!

Francisco

Do you have a macro to write out "Get a slice" lol

• What are you looking for that DO doesn't give you now? If DO is meeting your needs, why switch?

$5 for the level of performance and reliability that DO offers is a steal. If you're looking to save money, how much is your time worth by searching / switching?

• Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • aws or google cloud; surely reliability.

• sinsin Member

@doghouch said:

@Francisco said:
    Get a slice!

Francisco

Get a slice!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Depends on your location.

If you're already in say, DO bangalore, I'd say you're getting a great deal for the price.

• WolfWolf Member

@sin said:

@doghouch said:

@Francisco said:
    Get a slice!

Francisco

Get a slice!

Get a slice!

Thanked by 3Francisco sin muffin
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Definitely Hetzner cloud.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL iKeyZ
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Hetzner cloud!

or

Contabo: 4 Cores, 200GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 200 Mbit/s for 4,99€/mo

• simlevsimlev Member

I've had a rather disappointing experience with OVH first and Digitalocean later: hours of unplanned and unexplained downtime with both (DO behaving significantly better though). I've switched to Hetzner years ago and haven't experienced a single hour of downtime ever since. Of course, location requirements may limit your choice.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • kidrockkidrock Member

@Ympker said:
    Hetzner cloud!

or

Contabo: 4 Cores, 200GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 200 Mbit/s for 4,99€/mo

I just went for Contabo from Vultr. So far so good.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • simlevsimlev Member

Ympker said: Contabo: 4 Cores, 200GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 200 Mbit/s for 4,99€/mo

This is very good specs for the price! Are they in the same league as Hetzner as far as reliability is concerned? I'm asking because it looks too good to be true (although for LET users it's never cheap enough).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • wpcwpc Member

i'm looking for Los Angeles, but yeah i've never had any downtime with digital ocean since I've used them for many years... Hetzner huh? let me take a look

• uxtvdluxtvdl Member
    edited May 2019
  • agonyztagonyzt Member

OVH, Vultr, Hetzner, Linode, BuyVM, and maybe Scaleway. All very reliable!

• poissonpoisson Member

I have a bunch of hosts I consider reliable on LET in my signature. Haven't been let down by any I have tried.

Thanked by 1kyawhtun2012
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@simlev said:

Ympker said: Contabo: 4 Cores, 200GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 200 Mbit/s for 4,99€/mo

This is very good specs for the price! Are they in the same league as Hetzner as far as reliability is concerned? I'm asking because it looks too good to be true (although for LET users it's never cheap enough).

I was happy with them. Check my review in my sig for benchmark and other people's feedback :)

• @Francisco said:
    Get a slice!

Francisco

Slices are almost always out of stick. :wink:

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

@kyawhtun2012 said:

@Francisco said:
    Get a slice!

Francisco

Slices are almost always out of stick. :wink:

Looks like there's some stock available right now. Gotta go fast. Otherwise https://buyvmstock.com/ is a good third party site for tracking BuyVM stock.

• HelloMHelloM Member

@wpc DO is really good usually, for $5 its a good deal. Are you having issues, or are you just wanting to get the same specs for less money?

• May be vultr is the best alternative, $3.5/month with 512ram. use my affiliate to get free $50 https://www.vultr.com/?ref=7810099-4F

• Been with Ramnode for almost 4 years now, and they're still my primary go-to provider for anything I care about.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • williewillie Member

wpc said: when I look at the forum posts there are so many people saying they [DO] are bad for one reason or another.

I don't see much of that. DO is usually well regarded. Linode has had multiple security breaches and Vultr has done some misleading advertising but all these VM's generally work pretty well. Lunanode and mnx.io are smaller operators in this space that are also good. BuyVM slices are great but are monthly-only and have a lot of stock shortages. Several VM hosts in Germany (I don't understand the reason for this) seem to be offering good product while consistently undercutting anything you can find in other countries, particularly the US.

What is it that you want, that you are not getting from DO? What location(s) do you want to be in? If you're happy with DO and don't mind the cost I'd just stay with them. For a 1GB instance you can find alternatives where you pay a little less but who cares. For the bigger ones or if you have a lot of them, then it's more worth shopping around, considering a dedi, or whatever.