Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very cheap dedicated server (or KVM/XEN) + 4 IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very cheap dedicated server (or KVM/XEN) + 4 IPs

RazvaRazva Member
edited October 2013 in Requests

Hey,

Later edit:

Here's the NEW request: a VDS provider that can offer ~50GB of storage, ~2GB RAM, 4 IPs, at a max price of 15eur/month (tax included).

Right now I'm paying 4x512MB RAM & 20GB SSD (total: 2GB RAM & 80GB SSD) @ DigitalOcean (15eur/month), which are great, but I would like more control. So a single KVM/XEN container + OpenVZ "on top" would do the trick.

Initial request:

Right now I'm paying 4x512MB RAM & 20GB SSD (total: 2GB RAM & 80GB SSD) @ DigitalOcean (15eur/month), which are great, but I would like more control.

I'm looking for a very cheap dedicated server in order to host some backup nameservers (DNS Only) and a backup SolusVM installation.

This Online.net offer would be great, but they're out of stock. Also this OVH offer would be great, but they are also out of stock.

I need to install OpenVZ because DNS Only needs to have a "fresh install", also SolusVM is asking for the same thing. I've read that installing OpenVZ "on top" of KVM/XEN is possible, but I can't find any provider that offers more than 1 IP/host.

Any ideas where/who could offer me such a service? Thanks!

Comments

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Whats your specification and budget like?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

This Online.net offer would be great, but they're out of stock. Also this OVH offer would be great, but they are also out of stock.

While OVH are out of stock for good maybe for a long time, Online.net was spotted to periodically add stock, when they were just "opening internationally" there was some added almost every day. Also it says "Available on request", so maybe try contacting them and "requesting". Or at least asking when.

• hi how about you try protomeus kvm cloud
    you can get more than 1 ip on that

• You can get the $39 deal, comes with 4 IP's;

http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/ks1.xml

• @cfgguy said:
    Whats your specification and budget like?

10-15eur/month (15-20usd/month).

@rm_ said:
    Also it says "Available on request", so maybe try contacting them and "requesting". Or at least asking when.

I couldn't find any email address on their website. Any ideas?

@tuguhost said:
    hi how about you try protomeus kvm cloud

Can you please specify again the provider? I couldn't find anything regarding "protomeus kvm"

@ultimatehostings said:
    You can get the $39 deal, comes with 4 IP's;

To expensive for my basic needs.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!

• Can you post your exact requirements?

• @ultimatehostings said:
    Can you post your exact requirements?

~200GB of storage, ~2GB RAM. Something similar with the two links I've specified when starting the discussion.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2013

Razva said: 10-15eur/month (15-20usd/month).

For $20 i could offer some Atom. However no KVM on Atom. Only OpenVZ or Xen is possible.

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

Not sure if it's sold out but you can ask them..
    the $19.95 X2 is a good deal! If you need to install KVM make sure you ask them for a virtual capable CPU.. so intel vt or amd-v.

http://volumedrive.com/vdrive/?a=dedicated

Just to add.. the atom and nano cpu from OVH and online.net will not be KVM capable but you can install proxmox if you only need to install ovz guest..

there is also digicube if you need something in europe.. starting@ 11,00 € HT/mois, but i never tried them.

http://www.digicube.fr/rapidserveurs

• Razva said: I couldn't find anything regarding "protomeus kvm"

Probably means Prometeus' iwStack: http://www.iwstack.com/

• RazvaRazva Member
    edited October 2013

rds100 said: For $20 i could offer some Atom.

Can you please PM me with more details?

earl said: Not sure if it's sold out but you can ask them.. the $19.95 X2 is a good deal! If you need to install KVM make sure you ask them for a virtual capable CPU.. so intel vt or amd-v.

Looks great, thanks!

Dylan said: Probably means Prometeus' iwStack: http://www.iwstack.com/

Do they offer extra IPs? I couldn't find anything about this on their website.

If you have any other recommendations please keep 'em coming! Thanks!

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

Razva said: Do they offer extra IPs?

Yeah, check the bottom of the price calculator page ("Additional public IP").
    http://www.iwstack.com/price-calculator/

• Dylan said: Yeah, at the bottom of the price calculator page. http://www.iwstack.com/price-calculator/

13eur/month = 2GB RAM + 4 vCPU + 4 IPs. Until now they are looking the best. Any idea what technology are they using? I'm reading that XEN + OpenVZ is better than KVM + OpenVZ.

If you have any other ideas please keep them coming! Thanks! :)

• @Razva said:
    If you have any other recommendations please keep 'em coming! Thanks!

@$20/m your options are somewhat limited, but if you can do $30 then there is ovh.ca(but only 1 IPV4 no upgrade possible) or wholesaleinternet..

http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/pe1.xml

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15570/wholesaleinternet-grab-bag-from-19-mo#latest

• by now oneprovider.com is reselling cheap online.net dedis:

• for 9€: the Dell Nano U2250 (1,6 Ghz, 2 Gb ram, 160 Gb disk.)
      you can create OpenVZ slices with Proxmox provided in the online.net panel

• for €20, if you can push your budget there, a former online.net box, a Proliant DL120 (core i3, 4 Gb ram, 2x1T raid1).

• VIA Nano U2250 1.6Ghz VS iwStack 2GB RAM + 4 vCPU + 4 IPs <<< which one do you recommend?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

Razva said: Any idea what technology are they using?

@prometeus or @Maounique could probably talk about running OpenVZ on top of KVM or Xen, but iwStack is KVM.

Unless you need to hammer the CPU all the time I would personally lean towards iwStack over a cheap dedi for reliability reasons -- iwStack has genuine high-availability/fail-over with redundant SAN storage; a cheap (<$20) dedi's likely running aged hardware with a single hard drive.

• Dylan said: I would personally lean towards iwStack over a cheap dedi for reliability reasons -- iwStack has genuine high-availability/fail-over with redundant SAN storage; a cheap (<$20) dedi's likely running aged hardware with a single hard drive.

I was thinking the same. Do you know if a "stack" can be upgraded/downgraded?

• Razva said: 13eur/month = 2GB RAM + 4 vCPU + 4 IPs.

How much storage did you input in their calculator? 13EUR will only get you 12GB, nowhere near your 200GB requirements.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

Razva said: Do you know if a "stack" can be upgraded/downgraded?

Yeah, you can upgrade and downgrade everything except the root disk size (though you can add and resize additional disks) through the management console. Also can take snapshots, which is really handy.

I think the one-time 20% off coupon IWSTACK20 is still valid for the remainder of the month, too.

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

If you only need to create OVZ guest.. you can buy any KVM VPS, install debian and then install proxmox on top..

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy

you can create multiple ovz containers, use NAT, or buy more IP's.. you just cannot create KVM guest within proxmox.

• RazvaRazva Member
    edited October 2013

DalComp said: How much storage did you input in their calculator? 13EUR will only get you 12GB, nowhere near your 200GB requirements.

Right now I'm using ~20 GB. I've stated "200 GB" in order to keep it at a "max". In reality I don't think I'll use more than 40 GB in the next quarter.

Dylan said: Yeah, you can upgrade and downgrade everything except the root disk size (though you can add and resize additional disks) through the management console.

So you're saying that I can't upgrade disk space? I basically need space for the /vz directory. Sorry but I'm not familiar with their infrastructure/services.

If you have any other recommendations please let me know! Here are my requests again:

• a machine (physical or virtual) that allows me to install OpenVZ

• ~40 GB of storage

• ~2 GB of RAM

• 4 IPs

• I'll use the machine in order to host a SolusVM installation and some backup DNS Only instances.

• earl said: you can create multiple ovz containers, use NAT, or buy more IP's.. you just cannot create KVM guest within proxmox.

I suppose there's no way of using the same IP for multiple containers, so I'm kinda stuck with a provider that can offer me an IP for each container. Right?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

Razva said: o you're saying that I can't upgrade disk space?

You can't resize the disk the OS is installed on, basically. But you can set it up like there's two hard drives, and put the OS on one small disk with everything else (/vz) on a larger and resizable secondary one. It is a little annoying but easy to work around.

I missed your 200GB post, though... that would push the price way up.

• Dylan said: You can't resize the disk the OS is installed on, basically. But you can set it up like there's two hard drives, and put the OS on one small disk with everything else (/vz) on a larger and resizable secondary one. It is a little annoying but easy to work around.

Got it, thanks!

I missed your 200GB post, though... that would push the price way up.

Regarding the 200 GB, as stated before...I'm using less than 30 GB right now so - thinking forward - in reality I think I'll basically use ~40 GB for /vz data. That "200 GB" request was just for the sake of comparison.

• @Razva said:
    I suppose there's no way of using the same IP for multiple containers, so I'm kinda stuck with a provider that can offer me an IP for each container. Right?

you can use NAT and iptables.. so you can create containers with private IP's that use ports to connect to from the external IP..

Say your public IP is 12.34.56.78 and you created a CT with a private IP of 192.168.0.2 then to connect from the internet you assign a port from your external IP say 102 which forwards to say port 22 on your private IP, so to connect to SSH on 192.168.0.2 in putty you would input 12.34.56.78 with port 102 and it will connect to ssh port of CT 192.168.0.2

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2013

If you can do $39, we're offering a box that'll work great for KVM or Xen virtualization.

Intel Xeon L5420 2.5Ghz, 8GB fully buffered registered memory, 500GB SATA, 10TB bandwidth on a 100mbit port, 2 usable IPs and IPMI included free of charge (remote OS reloads, remote console, remote reboots, etc).

Reference this post in the comments section of the order form and we'll add 4 additional usable IPs at no extra cost.

This server will be hosted in our Seattle facility (Westin Building) with a BGP mix of Level3 and AboveNet bandwidth. Test IP: 66.113.106.1

Use this link to place an order.

• If you think storage will not be >40, an alternative could be simply 4 VPS. For instance
    https://comstownit.de/servers
    1G ram, 40 Gb disk 4€ each, so 16€ for 4.
    Or also 4 VPS each at different providers/networks.

• you should get 40GB disk + 2GB RAM + 4 vCPU + 4IPs at ~ 16 euros from iwstack.

• @Razva said:
    Any other recommendations? Thanks!

i mean iwstack :)