Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner looking glass/activation charge - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner looking glass/activation charge

2»

Comments

• @rm_ said:
    I wonder if I can sign up and specify that I am from Ukraine, pay 20 EUR, and they will not ask for any documents to verify if I'm actually from there. That's the only feasible way to use Hetzner at the moment.

Well, hetzner is using PayPal to check if it's clean and verified (depends on the country of PayPal).

In case if you've failed PayPal verification you've a choice in their control panel to cancel PayPal verification and start document verification

Also, they don't ask documents for address verification, only for identification (like passport, driver license and etc.).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

So the OP doesn't want to pay the activation charge and the free activation is also too expensive for them... weird.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @KuJoe said:
    So the OP doesn't want to pay the activation charge and the free activation is also too expensive for them... weird.

Maybe you misread what I wrote. I don't think it's a good idea to send your passport to any random company, doesn't matter how reputable they are. Doubt they'd accept a Canadian drivers license anyway, so the only option would be to pay the fee.

• WolfWolf Member

XbNz said:

@KuJoe said:

Maybe you misread what I wrote. I don't think it's a good idea to send your passport to any random company, doesn't matter how reputable they are. Doubt they'd accept a Canadian drivers license anyway, so the only option would be to pay the fee.

‚Any random Company‘ - Hetzner?!

Guess you will never know. German/European data protection laws are quite good so I‘m not really worried here.

Guess we will never know and best to randomly assume they wont accept it. 10/10

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2019

They do accept Canadian driver's license.

I know that for 100% certain.

And Hetzner is not "any random company". If you think they are, you have deeper issues and privacy is the least of your issues.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • XbNz said:

@KuJoe said:

As if anyone at Hetzner cares about your drivers license picture. Just send it and be done with it.

• Chill out guys, I never said Hetzner was unsafe. But surely it's reasonable for someone to be careful with their passport, obviously drivers license doesn't matter as much. Already went with the 20 euro option anyway, just seemed a bit unreasonable for ask for identity before I even started a service, usually companies ask for it after they detect something suspicious.

edited April 2019

Man, Hetzner has found a gold mine in asking 20 euro to skip the fraud check.

Hosts, take a note. This will become norm soon.

• @deank said:
    Man, Hetzner has found a gold mine in asking 20 euro to skip the fraud check.

Hosts, take a note. This will become norm soon.

It's honestly not the worst thing in the world, it gives customer's a choice, and I'm sure it reduces the number of fraudulent accounts people set up.

Would be nice if they did something like waiving the activation fee if you opt in to the fraud check.

• mrKatmrKat Member
    edited April 2019

From Frankfurt to Nuremberg there's a 3ms ping difference (this results from their transit provider core-backbone, they have a looking glass).

• @Hetzner_OL Hi.
    I got a verified PayPal account. Do I need to send my ID etc when ordering VPS or Dedicated Servers?

• donlidonli Member

@xlucasonepvp said:
    @Hetzner_OL Hi.
    I got a verified PayPal account. Do I need to send my ID etc when ordering VPS or Dedicated Servers?

Shakes magic 8 ball:
    Your outcome is uncertain.

Thank you very much for your order.

As a new customer, we kindly request that you provide us with a copy (scan/photo) of your passport or ID card for authentication purposes, together with a copy (scan/photo/screenshot) of your credit card.

This requirement is only necessary when you place your first order with us.

Please would you send the documents by fax or as an email attachment to this email address.

The documents submitted are saved for a period of three weeks.

Best regards

Your Hetzner Online Team

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

xlucasonepvp said: I got a verified PayPal account. Do I need to send my ID etc when ordering VPS or Dedicated Servers?

Theoretically, you can choose between two options to verify your account:
    1. Upload a copy of your ID.
    2. Prepay €20 via PayPal on your account.
    To choose your prefered option log into Hetzner Accounts.

@donli Is it possible that this is a copy from a relatively old mail? We recently changed our verification process a bit. Customers can now complete their account verification directly in https://accounts.hetzner.com. We did this change so that customers don't have to send the documents by fax or email anymore.
    --Julia, Marketing

• donlidonli Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

@donli Is it possible that this is a copy from a relatively old mail? We recently changed our verification process a bit. Customers can now complete their account verification directly in https://accounts.hetzner.com. We did this change so that customers don't have to send the documents by fax or email anymore.
    --Julia, Marketing

Yes that was from an old Email. Note that the medical field still prefers FAX for sensitive documents because of the greater security than online/Email.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

xlucasonepvp said: I got a verified PayPal account. Do I need to send my ID etc when ordering VPS or Dedicated Servers?

Theoretically, you can choose between two options to verify your account:
    1. Upload a copy of your ID.
    2. Prepay €20 via PayPal on your account.
    To choose your prefered option log into Hetzner Accounts.

--Julia, Marketing

Hi.
    I have created a account and created a vps.
    When I check Accounts Hetzner, I cant find a option to choose verification process.
    Does what mean I am 100% completed verified?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I wish banks had a policy where I could just pay them $20 so I could wear a ski mask while I withdraw money from "my" account. :lol:

xlucasonepvp said: Does what mean I am 100% completed verified?

If you're account has been verified you should have received an email from our registration team confirming your account verification. Did you receive such a message? If not, please contact our support team. They will be able to check your registration status but normally it should have been verified in the meantime.
    --Julia, Marketing

• xlucasonepvpxlucasonepvp Member
    edited May 2019

@Hetzner_OL said:

If you're account has been verified you should have received an email from our registration team confirming your account verification. Did you receive such a message? If not, please contact our support team. They will be able to check your registration status but normally it should have been verified in the meantime.
    --Julia, Marketing

Hi
    I checked my mail and can't see that I got a "Verification" email - not from registration team either.

Yesterday I bought a Dedicated server in Nuremberg.
    I bought 1 Extra IP (not subnet!) - however, I can't get it working.
    I followed Hetzner's tutorial on Wiki etc without successfully get it working.
    Should I open up a ticket regarding this?

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited May 2019

xlucasonepvp said: Should I open up a ticket regarding this?

no. it's an UNmanaged server.
    you are supposed to know about network stuff, if you want to add an IP. if the IP is from a different subnet use a hostroute to get it working and don't forget about the virtual mac if you use it on a bridge.

@xlucasonepvp said:
    Yesterday I bought a Dedicated server in Nuremberg.
    I bought 1 Extra IP (not subnet!) - however, I can't get it working.
    I followed Hetzner's tutorial on Wiki etc without successfully get it working.
    Should I open up a ticket regarding this?

You are on your own dude. It's unmanaged service.

edited May 2019

xlucasonepvp said: I checked my mail and can't see that I got a "Verification" email - not from registration team either.

That's strange. Did you check you spam folder? However, if you were able to order a dedicated server, your account should be activated and therefore verified. If you want me to ask my colleagues what happened to your verification mail, you can send me your client number via a dm.

I'm afraid our support team is not able to help you with your IP. Since our dedicated servers are UNmanaged servers and only you have full root access to it, they don't have access to your server and therefore can't give you technical assistance for your additional IP. You can ask for assistance here on LET or on our discussion forum: https://forum.hetzner.com/. There's lots of experienced admins who are happy to give you advice. If you're lucky someone can give you tips on how to get your IP working. Good luck! :smile:

EDIT: I see you already did. I believe you have already received some useful tips which is great.
    --Julia, Marketing

• WilliamWilliam Member

XbNz said: One would assume they have servers on DE-CIX campus.

They do not and there is no such thing as a DE-CIX campus, the IX is split across many DCs in FRA.

Hetzner has practically - like most - only backhaul equipment and routers (which is what you also use when you get a NRG/FKL <-> FRA L2 link from them or for most DE/NL based destinations).

Only other Hetzner deploy in EU (aside of IX/routing) i know is offsite infra at Domainfactory/Host Europe (in exchange for their backup infra at Hetzner, and each a /24 PI) - mtr 193.47.99.7

• @Hetzner_OL said:

--Julia, Marketing

Is this 20 euro count as account credit or just a fee to create account?

robohost said: Is this 20 euro count as account credit or just a fee to create account?

Hi, the € 20 will of course be credited to your account after successful verification :)
    -Julia, Marketing

• Hetzner_OL said: -Julia, Marketing

Can you say something about Russian VAT from that comment: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2966959/#Comment_2966959 ?
    20% is deal breaker sometimes. :(

rm_ said: Does "pre-pay" mean this counts as credit towards their actual services consumed, or this fee is just charged to create the account, and services need to be paid separately?

Sorry for the late reply. I must have overread it :neutral: As it was already mentioned, the amount gets transfered as balance on your account after your registration was successful. Also, the credit on your customer account will be automatically charged with the next bill.

rm_ said: Also, when you will stop charging Russia VAT? No one from your competitors does, only you. For that reason your services are 20% more expensive than theirs, and for me of course this plays accordingly into decisions on whether or not to use Hetzner at all (hint: not).

@SashkaPro I talked to my colleague from the international tax department. We charge Russian customers the effective VAT rate in Russia which is 20% at the moment. We do this because our products and services are not subject to VAT in Germany, but in Russia. So we apply Russian VAT law. I'm sorry that this keeps you from buying a server from us... We only follow the rules in Russia and we take tax compliance very serious.
    --Julia, Marketing

• @Hetzner_OL said:

xlucasonepvp said: I checked my mail and can't see that I got a "Verification" email - not from registration team either.

That's strange. Did you check you spam folder? However, if you were able to order a dedicated server, your account should be activated and therefore verified. If you want me to ask my colleagues what happened to your verification mail, you can send me your client number via a dm.

I'm afraid our support team is not able to help you with your IP. Since our dedicated servers are UNmanaged servers and only you have full root access to it, they don't have access to your server and therefore can't give you technical assistance for your additional IP. You can ask for assistance here on LET or on our discussion forum: https://forum.hetzner.com/. There's lots of experienced admins who are happy to give you advice. If you're lucky someone can give you tips on how to get your IP working. Good luck! :smile:

EDIT: I see you already did. I believe you have already received some useful tips which is great.
    --Julia, Marketing

I think I am verified ;) I am very satisfied with the server! ;)
    Good price, stable server!
    Thank you hetzner :wink:

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • teilteil Member

I just got refused by Hetzner, I sent them a copy of my EU passport; the order was cancelled, there were " concerns". Very disappointing.

• desfiredesfire Member

@teil said:
    I just got refused by Hetzner, I sent them a copy of my EU passport; the order was cancelled, there were " concerns". Very disappointing.

Pay the 20€ then

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • teilteil Member

@desfire said:

@teil said:

Pay the 20€ then

That would be revealing indeed.