Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner looking glass/activation charge
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner looking glass/activation charge

Was looking for a Hetzner Frankfurt looking glass and test IP. Also, is there a way to circumvent the $20 activation charge?

Comments

• Send them your ID and you don't have to pay it.

• WolfWolf Member

Activation charge?...

@Hetzner_OL

• For what you want a looking glass in frankfurt from them? They don't have servers there.

• FalzoFalzo Member

XbNz said: Hetzner Frankfurt

• @Wolf said:
    Activation charge?...

@Hetzner_OL

You can pay 20€ to not have to send them your ID. It's a new thing.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Sounds good to send EUR 20 instead of getting rejected

Thanked by 1arjay316
  • @jiiikoo said:
    Send them your ID and you don't have to pay it.

Yes, I'm aware of that option... Their rep just told me they'll refund the 20 if I'm not satisfied so I'll just go with that.

@Falzo said:

One would assume they have servers on DE-CIX campus.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • XbNz said:

@jiiikoo said:

Yes, I'm aware of that option... Their rep just told me they'll refund the 20 if I'm not satisfied so I'll just go with that.

@Falzo said:

• @user54321 said:

XbNz said:

@jiiikoo said:

@Falzo said:

2010 called, they want their meme back.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2019

That's one weird thread subject. I thought they're charging you to activate a looking glass.

• ___XbNz______XbNz___ Member
    edited April 2019

@rm_ said:
    That's one weird thread subject. I thought they're charging you to activate a looking glass.

Welp, they basically are. Compared to DigitalOcean, Vultr, Linode who only charge $5 PayPal fee and no fee for adding a credit card, they charge a lot. But I guess it's refundable so fair enough.

• FalzoFalzo Member

XbNz said:

you are too fixated with looking at that 80.81.x.x subnet and core router IPs, but hey... your cup of tea.

• @Falzo said:

XbNz said:

you are too fixated with looking at that 80.81.x.x subnet and core router IPs, but hey... your cup of tea.

Maybe if your ISP had atrocious IP transit as well, you would do the same. Not exactly an enjoyable cup of tea to be limited to direct peering connections.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2019

Meh, I recall one guy who made a thread about his "absolutely atrocious" IP transit route and he was desperately looking for a VPS in a better place.

After few pages of the thread, it turned out that the dude had only120ms ping. He wanted sub 10ms ping.

Meh.

• pikepike Veteran

@deank said:
    After few pages of the thread, it turned out that the dude had only120ms ping. He wanted sub 10ms ping.

On this CS:S server I play on, people complain about anything over 20ms. I myself am doing without wired phone to get 16ms instead of 22ms to my favorite server by using another modem (that does DOCSIS 3.1 instead of EuroDOCSIS 3.0, before you start asking why this works).

Only if we could tell the difference of 10ms.

This is like those on tube who ragequit when their FPS down to 118 from 121.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • jiiikoo said: You can pay 20€ to not have to send them your ID. It's a new thing.

Wow I hope that works out for them. It may attract people who wouldn't pass the ID check (as opposed to people who would pass but prefer not to send their ID).

Meanwhile, yeah 120ms ping is a lot. I can easily notice it when just typing. I can also tell the difference between 40 ms and 90 ms. I don't notice difference between 20ms and 40ms when typing, but figured I'd notice it for VOIP, so I went to some effort to get a nearby server for VOIP (never got the voip stuff working though). I've never gotten consistently below 20ms from any home internet connection even when the server is very close by. I do get sub-2 msec pings between two servers from different hosts in the same data center, and sub-1 msec between servers from the same host and same dc.

Thanked by 1Wirrkopf
  • @deank said:

It's not 10 ms and I don't want it for gaming specifically. The difference is 75 ms and 110 ms, 0.01% packet loss and 1% packet loss, 0.3 ms jitter and 1.5 ms jitter. I'm sorry if anyone has to put up with shit internet, but when I have the luxury of enjoying FTTH, guess what? I'm gonna try to make the most of it. You're basically telling me to not eat food cuz kids in Africa are starving.

• FalzoFalzo Member

XbNz said:

@Falzo said:

XbNz said:

Maybe if your ISP had atrocious IP transit as well, you would do the same. Not exactly an enjoyable cup of tea to be limited to direct peering connections.

oh, no worries, I did quite some searches for VPNs in specific places to optimise routes and latencies... just because a providers peers directly with DECIX and names their routers accordingly doesn't mean they have to have servers there.

hetzners falkenstein location is about 5ms away and nuremberg is 4ms, so if your ISP pops you out at DECIX campus FRA for a connection to hetzner you probably have to add 8-10 ms to get to your vpn and back.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

Man, we have ESPs on LET.

I can never feel the difference between 50ms.

• @Falzo said:

XbNz said:

@Falzo said:

XbNz said:

oh, no worries, I did quite some searches for VPNs in specific places to optimise routes and latencies... just because a providers peers directly with DECIX and names their routers accordingly doesn't mean they have to have servers there.

hetzners falkenstein location is about 5ms away and nuremberg is 4ms, so if your ISP pops you out at DECIX campus FRA for a connection to hetzner you probably have to add 8-10 ms to get to your vpn and back.

Yeah, was just pinging their prefix list, averages out at ~78 ms. Are property prices high at Frankfurt am Main? I've not seen many hosts dish out VPS services, mostly just expensive dedis and colo.

• @deank said:

Wtf? Did you typo "120ms" or "10ms" ? You're confusing the readers as 120 ms is garbage and you shouldn't defend that. If you really did mean 120ms, feel free to excuse yourself from providing advice.

• @deank said:
    I can never feel the difference between 50ms.

I had someone requesting <1ms access time. I offered to put them in contact with the hosting network for the service they were trying to access, so they could crossconnect the boxes.

• FalzoFalzo Member

XbNz said:

Yeah, was just pinging their prefix list, averages out at ~78 ms. Are property prices high at Frankfurt am Main? I've not seen many hosts dish out VPS services, mostly just expensive dedis and colo.

did you check leaseweb? https://lg.leasewebstatus.com/

they do have a direct peering with DECIX and rent out VPS from their FRA location...

• pikepike Veteran

XbNz said:

Yes they are, Frankfurt am Main is one of the most expensive cities in germany property-wise. There are some good DCs, like FirstColo (php-friends), AccelerateIT (farnox and others) and Interwerk that house VPS hosts.

Thanked by 2farnox dataforest
  • @Falzo said:

XbNz said:

did you check leaseweb? https://lg.leasewebstatus.com/

they do have a direct peering with DECIX and rent out VPS from their FRA location...

Yup, done that too.

LeaseWeb doesn't work either, and this is why:

For some reason, the peering LAN at DE-CIX gives me 90 ms, so BGP defaults to using IP transit - or at least that's what I think is the reason.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host
    edited April 2019

@jiiikoo said:

@Wolf said:
    Activation charge?...

@Hetzner_OL

You can pay 20€ to not have to send them your ID. It's a new thing.

That's right. This is now an option that is available for people whose new accounts get flagged but do not want to send an ID or whose ID wasn't helpful for our team. They can pre-pay € 20 via their PayPal account.

XbNz said: Their rep just told me they'll refund the 20 if I'm not satisfied

FYI: If that is the case and you want to cancel your order, it takes us approx. 1-2 business days to process the refund. I hope you have fun testing our service.
    --Julia, Marketing

Thanked by 3___XbNz___ Wolf netomx
    edited April 2019

Hetzner_OL said: They can pre-pay € 20 via their PayPal account.

Does "pre-pay" mean this counts as credit towards their actual services consumed, or this fee is just charged to create the account, and services need to be paid separately?

Also, when you will stop charging Russia VAT? No one from your competitors does, only you. For that reason your services are 20% more expensive than theirs, and for me of course this plays accordingly into decisions on whether or not to use Hetzner at all (hint: not).

Thanked by 1SashkaPro
  • alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited April 2019

@rm_ said:
    Does "pre-pay" mean this counts as credit towards their actual services consumed, or this fee is just charged to create the account, and services need to be paid separately?

Counts as credit.

rm_ said: Russia VAT?

Interestingly they don't charge VAT for Ukrainian residents.

Cloud servers without important private network and load balancer....

Thanked by 2rm_ Hetzner_OL
    edited April 2019

alexvolk said: Interestingly they don't charge VAT for Ukrainian residents.

I wonder if I can sign up and specify that I am from Ukraine, pay 20 EUR, and they will not ask for any documents to verify if I'm actually from there. That's the only feasible way to use Hetzner at the moment.