Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ownbox bad TOS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ownbox bad TOS

I was looking for a low price VPS with KVM virtualization. I always look what is written in the TOS. On the "ownbox" website there is nothing useful. No information on SLA, although on the main page it is written that the SLA is 99.95%, but in reality only a 99.5% SLA. no information on CPU usage. there is no information about prohibited and permitted materials hosted on the VPS.
the company has been working for a long time and cannot do TOS - shame.

Do you read TOS before buying?
  1. Do you read TOS before buying?72 votes
    1. I read completely
      30.56%
    2. I read partially and not completely
      38.89%
    3. I do not read
      30.56%

Comments

• Go back to cloudflexy

• Ambiguity up to interpretation of provider sounds good for them

• cybertech said: Ambiguity up to interpretation of provider sounds good for them

but it is bad for customers, customers will not buy services if bad and ambiguous TOS

• @Anastasiia99 said:

cybertech said: Ambiguity up to interpretation of provider sounds good for them

but it is bad for customers, customers will not buy services if bad and ambiguous TOS

It's possible they use that as a means to filter customers, particularly the type you refer/belong to..

Have you opened a ticket or somehow contacted them asking them for clarification?

• xaocxaoc Member

Advertisement>Contract.

• 99.95% is the average 99% is the SLA where we start giving refunds if it goes under. When it comes to prohibited martial it does state anything is allowed within UK law, even IRC which I would stick on another node.

However I do agree ToS does need updating and I get on the case later on today.

• @starservices said:
    99.95% is the average 99% is the SLA where we start giving refunds if it goes under. When it comes to prohibited martial it does state anything is allowed within UK law, even IRC which I would stick on another node.

However I do agree ToS does need updating and I get on the case later on today.

OP quotes 99.5 from your TOS, how did you end up at 99.0

• SLA is not in ToS, that was his original complaint I believe. I did specify what I said when he contacted me assuming he is the same guy.

However he is right our terms do need to be more specific, if you check our server status though most our nodes achieve over 180 days of uptime.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2019

Especially, when its not in the ToS, its clickbait, fucking clickbait.
    But apparently the Uptime is good, according to independent sources.

• My KVM1 has been idling like a champ for the past few weeks - no problems. ;-)

Thanked by 11allen
  • I tested your server lg-london.ownbox.co.uk, the server did not work more than 48 hours.
    April 9 at 20:20 UTC - server disconnected
    April 11 at 20:44 UTC - server turned on
    You do not want to contribute to TOS SLA because the services are of poor quality?

• @Anastasiia99 said:
    I tested your server lg-london.ownbox.co.uk, the server did not work more than 48 hours.
    You do not want to contribute to TOS SLA because the services are of poor quality?

Like I said I agree I need a more detailed ToS, disagree about the poor quality of the services as I spend a lot of time on them. Obviously I need to spend more time on writing detailed documents instead.

Am sorry we ain't your cuppatea.

• starservices said: Like I said I agree I need a more detailed ToS

it should have been done a long time ago.

starservices said: disagree about the poor quality of the services as I spend a lot of time on them

waste of time and quality of services are absolutely not interrelated.

• I tested your server lg-london.ownbox.co.uk, the server did not work again. not working for almost 3 days (72 hours)

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

@Anastasiia99 said:
    I tested your server lg-london.ownbox.co.uk, the server did not work again. not working for almost 3 days (72 hours)

If you feel like they are not professional enough for your taste, just don't use them. :expressionless:

• SkanderSkander Member

@feezioxiii said:

@Anastasiia99 said:
    I tested your server lg-london.ownbox.co.uk, the server did not work again. not working for almost 3 days (72 hours)

If you feel like they are not professional enough for your taste, just don't use them. :expressionless:

Nothing wrong with letting people know before they fall into a trap. Zero reason to berate him/her.

@Anastasiia99 ; How are you testing this? Are you sure you're not getting blocked / something on your end?

3 days downtime with not much noise seems a little exaggerated.

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

@Skander said:

@feezioxiii said:

@Anastasiia99 said:

Nothing wrong with letting people know before they fall into a trap. Zero reason to berate him/her.

@Anastasiia99 ; How are you testing this? Are you sure you're not getting blocked / something on your end?

3 days downtime with not much noise seems a little exaggerated.

The point is this is not a review, nor OP ever used ownbox services, how can it be called as a trap when he literally not experienced with them and just give out his sole opinion?

Looking glass being down does not fully reflect the quality of the service and if OP can just hit up a ticket or PM them here directly, I'm sure it will get resolved in less than 24 hours.

And again, if OP doesn't like how ownbox works/response time/tos/etc, then just simply don't use them, initially calling them having bad business practice (which is already enough to make him avoid the company) then intentionally finding further 'bad' spots and post on public forums ring me an alarm that there is something else behind this (maybe a conflict between hosts and customers, ...)

Edit2: I have no contacts or whatsoever with ownbox, just giving my point of view, and lg-london.ownbox.co.uk is down from my side as well.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • skorousskorous Member

Skander said: Nothing wrong with letting people know before they fall into a trap. Zero reason to berate him/her.

( eye roll )

Personally, the fact the he/she has such a hard-on for Ownbox makes me want to try the service. Feels like there's something else going on there.

• a simple bash script is used for testing. downtime is really 3 days. I couldn't open the lg-london.ownbox.co.uk page for three days. but it's all right now. if a company can't maintain high uptime, then it's a bad company. everyone should know about it.

in the picture green is the server available, red is the number of lost packets when pings

• deankdeank Member, Troll

This is like filing for a divorce after one bad sex right after a marriage.

• @starservices said:

@Anastasiia99 said:
    I tested your server lg-london.ownbox.co.uk, the server did not work more than 48 hours.

Like I said I agree I need a more detailed ToS, disagree about the poor quality of the services as I spend a lot of time on them. Obviously I need to spend more time on writing detailed documents instead.

Am sorry we ain't your cuppatea.

Spending a lot of time on them is not an argument for quality and stable, it kind of implies it's problematic.

• deank said: This is like filing for a divorce after one bad sex right after a marriage.

bad sex was already twice in a short period of time:
    1)

2)
    May 4 at 17:43 UTC - server disconnected
    May 7 at 16:57 UTC - server turned on

it seems that bad TOS is specially written so as not to show quality and not to return money for poor quality of services

• skorousskorous Member

Anastasiia99 said: bad sex was already twice in a short period of time:

I KNEW something else was going on here. This explains everything.

• skorousskorous Member

TimboJones said: Spending a lot of time on them is not an argument for quality and stable, it kind of implies it's problematic.

I would argue that it only means he cares about his environment. For all we know he spends all that time working with end users on their problems.

• desfiredesfire Member

Never seen a review about a provider ToS... there has to be a first time for everything I guess..

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@desfire said:
    Never seen a review about a provider ToS... there has to be a first time for everything I guess..

PMS knows no bounds.

• desfire said: Never seen a review about a provider ToS

I was looking for a cheap VPS with KVM virtualization. before buying, I read TOS and check the server. this service from ownbox.co.uk is the worst I've ever seen.

• Hi All,

i took on own box and since then i have improved things alot and the TOS is much more complex.

Regards,
    Sam

• LeviLevi Member

Anastasiia99 said: a simple bash script is used for testing.

That script. Please provide source of it.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @SamRudd said:
    Hi All,

i took on own box and since then i have improved things alot and the TOS is much more complex.

Regards,
    Sam

"Yes it's me I am the writer of the rules now and I made them more complex because fuck you"