Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP Friends to introduce a new product generation?!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP Friends to introduce a new product generation?!

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited April 2019 in Providers

On their FB they have posted a picture of a new rack, teasing the audience by saying that they haven't installed a new rack without a reason and that maybe next week already they'll launch a new product generation.

So stay tuned :)

@PHP_Friends cough Anything you want to tell us? cough

Thanked by 2sanvit imageslocker

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

Well there it is, Germany is now officially the bargain bin of Europe and they are having their own race to the bottom.

brexit

• ehabehab Member

@LTniger merry xmas.
    merry

x xmas

merry

• This time 30Gb or 40Gb of RAM :smiley:

edited April 2019

I am going to buy 30 of them, insist that there are 10 per physical node for low latency and use all the ram and see what happens. :D

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    I am going to buy 30 of them, insist that there are 10 per physical node for low latency and use all the ram and see what happens. :D

just make sure to fill the ram with random data to avoid ksm

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited April 2019

Nothing to be alarmed about. They have redefined the term "dedicated"

FR_Michael said: just make sure to fill the ram with random data to avoid ksm

haha, I was only joking, people have to eat I suppose.

• For those who didn't click the link, the offer is 2 dedicated cores (vcores?) on an E5-2630v3 or v4, 20GB(!) ram, and 125GB raid-10 ssd, for 10€/m. This is crazy, wonder where all that ram is coming from. Wonder what the hw config actually is, and what do people do with the ram? It seems unbalanced, 20gb of ram per physical core (presuming the two reserved "cores" are vcores).

The E5-2630v3 has 8 physical cores and the v4 has 10 cores, so with reserved memory on a dual socket system there would be 320gb of 400gb of ram in the box.

Yeah I suspect some memory overallocation is going on here. The other parts of the offer seem doable though.

• @willie said:

For those who didn't click the link, the offer is 2 dedicated cores (vcores?) on an E5-2630v3 or v4, 20GB(!) ram, and 125GB raid-10 ssd, for 10€/m. This is crazy, wonder where all that ram is coming from. Wonder what the hw config actually is, and what do people do with the ram? It seems unbalanced, 20gb of ram per physical core (presuming the two reserved "cores" are vcores).

The E5-2630v3 has 8 physical cores and the v4 has 10 cores, so with reserved memory on a dual socket system there would be 320gb of 400gb of ram in the box.

Yeah I suspect some memory overallocation is going on here. The other parts of the offer seem doable though.

I was gonna say DDR3 RAM is super cheap these days but it's DDR4😅

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2019

@AnthonySmith said:
    Well there it is, Germany is now officially the bargain bin of Europe and they are having their own race to the bottom.

brexit

It is not all that bad though. Atleast Hetzner, Netcup and PHPFriends are going stronk. Not only in terms of pricing but also performance, reliability and popularity. They have managed to offer dumping prices while maintaining a high level of quality.

• @willie said:

For those who didn't click the link, the offer is 2 dedicated cores (vcores?) on an E5-2630v3 or v4, 20GB(!) ram, and 125GB raid-10 ssd, for 10€/m. This is crazy, wonder where all that ram is coming from. Wonder what the hw config actually is, and what do people do with the ram? It seems unbalanced, 20gb of ram per physical core (presuming the two reserved "cores" are vcores).

On their system specifications page, they mention 512GB RAM.

Link

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2019

@AC_Fan said:
    On their system specifications page, they mention 512GB RAM.

Link

OK. So it will be 512GB old RAM type (silicon chips) for $1. Maybe those are just taking up space now and they no longer have use for it in this age of crystals.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

Well, this is doable for any big region, similar to SSDNodes in Dallas. Older hardware is always going to be cheaper.

• More importantly, older E5s are 'enough' for this market, the hobby enthusiasts.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • williewillie Member
    edited April 2019

AC_Fan said: On their system specifications page, they mention 512GB RAM.

Ah, thanks. But now it sounds like they are leaving a bunch of ram unused? Shrug. I wonder if they'd rent out whole machinse as dedicated servers. That's more interesting than yet another low-cpu vps, even one with tons of ram.

• LeviLevi Member

vimalware said: More importantly, older E5s are 'enough' for this market, the hobby enthusiasts.

This market demands Platinum or in worst case Gold Xeon's. We are cheap, but with ambitions.

• Oh hey, I just noticed this is very similar to Netcup offer of a week or so ago. I'm not worked up about the slightly older cpu generation. I guess the similarity is evidence that this is a sane offer, so good all around. I'm still more about storage and cpu than ram though.

Thanked by 2Ympker poisson
  • MadMad Member

First of all maybe it worths adding at least the EN language on your website considering that many visitors and potential buyers come from all over the world. @PHP_Friends

• MikeA said: SSDNodes in Dallas.

But I thought they were terrible. what eventually happened with them?

• Sold Out :(

• @Mad said:
    First of all maybe it worths adding at least the EN language on your website considering that many visitors and potential buyers come from all over the world. @PHP_Friends

Totally Agree with you!

• @sweatbar said:

@Mad said:

Totally Agree with you!

They are probably catering to german customers normally. But yeah. Would make a good addition.

Thanked by 1sweatbar
  • roastroast Member

cough good luck with your sales phpfriends and with your affiliate commissions ympzer cough

• @Ympker said:

@sweatbar said:

@Mad said:

Totally Agree with you!

They are probably catering to german customers normally. But yeah. Would make a good addition.

Do they offer support in English?

• @sweatbar said:

If you are not writing Shakespearean language they should understand you well enough

• @sweatbar said:

@Ympker said:

@sweatbar said:

@Mad said:

Totally Agree with you!

Yes. I've ticketed them serveral times and always got pretty decent english support.

Thanked by 1sweatbar
  • @sanvit said:
    Yes. I've ticketed them serveral times and always got pretty decent english support.

A Korean customer and a German provider can understand each other well enough using English. No further proof necessary.

Thanked by 2sanvit Ympker
  • dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

@FR_Michael said:

@AnthonySmith said:

just make sure to fill the ram with random data to avoid ksm

I think that competitors who publicly talk about how they can most effectively harm us speak for themselves. It's the biggest compliment we can get. :heart: So no more comments from me, I prefer making our customers happy over discussing our offers again and again :)

@cybertech said:
    Nothing to be alarmed about. They have redefined the term "dedicated"

No, we haven't. I already wrote something about this here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2957167/#Comment_2957167

Like I said in this post it's fine if you don't share this opinion. Btw, recently our colleagues from netcup even reduced the amount of CPU cores in their bigger models due to increased overall CPU usage: https://www.netcup-news.de/2019/04/12/root-server-generation-8-se-gestartet/

If you think that other providers in this price range (permanently) pin physical cores to virtual cores I can only say again that this is impossible and the netcup news is just a proof for this (delivered by a company which is, as far as I know, way bigger than we are). If someone needs physical dedicated cores on a VM there are enough providers for that. But simply not for the prices we and others offer.

Best Regards,
    Tim

Thanked by 1Wolf