Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel Atom For Selling VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel Atom For Selling VPS

Hello,
I want to buy Intel Atom Dedicated Server, for selling a VPS.

Is it good for selling a VPS with Intel Atom processor?

Comments

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

You should go with something more powerful than an Intel Atom CPU if you want to sell VPS.

Thanked by 1naufalprojects
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited April 2019

Yes, but make sure you buy 2 and only 2 to make Nuclear Fusion. When 2 atoms combine together, a large energy is produced so that you can power up even more VPSes.

On a serious note, providers usually use Xeon processors as it is more suitable for servers. Most hypervisors support it pretty well.

• @ChristianDSH said:
    You should go with something more powerful than an Intel Atom CPU if you want to sell VPS.

But, i am new for selling VPS. I know how to setup a server, but, i want to buy a "Cheap" Dedicated Server, for starter, and i found Intel Atom (C2750)

My question : if i choose Intel Atom C2750, is it bad idea?

• @naufalprojects said:

@ChristianDSH said:

But, i am new for selling VPS. I know how to setup a server, but, i want to buy a "Cheap" Dedicated Server, for starter, and i found Intel Atom (C2750)

My question : if i choose Intel Atom C2750, is it bad idea?

Actually worst

@naufalprojects said:

Yes it is cheap, but the performance it gives for the price might not worth it. Sure you can run VMs on it, but how many servers are you planning to squeeze into that Atom server?

I am pretty sure you can get a better server just by adding about $10-20 per month.

Is it Summer yet?

Thanked by 2dahartigan WSWD
  • Go for budget friendly server with one of the good provider here. Not atom especially from online.net or one provider.

For example:
    1 C2750 can produce X-X VPS for XX EUR
    1 Old Gen Xeon or E3 can produce X-XX for XX EUR

You can do math which one worth well. Not many are keen to pay if host is too outdated or low power. You cannot hide the fact too.

@mrclown said:
    You cannot hide the fact too.

QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)

Thanked by 2naufalprojects Chuck
  • @FAT32 said:

@naufalprojects said:

Yes it is cheap, but the performance it gives for the price might not worth it. Sure you can run VMs on it, but how many servers are you planning to squeeze into that Atom server?

I am pretty sure you can get a better server just by adding about $10-20 per month.

Is it Summer yet?

I want to run 4 VPS where :
    2x 150GB HDD + 1.25GB Ram
    2x 250GB HDD + 2GB Ram

@mrclown said:
    Go for budget friendly server with one of the good provider here. Not atom especially from online.net or one provider.

For example:
    1 C2750 can produce X-X VPS for XX EUR
    1 Old Gen Xeon or E3 can produce X-XX for XX EUR

You can do math which one worth well. Not many are keen to pay if host is too outdated or low power. You cannot hide the fact too.

Ok. I will find alternative for Intel Atom, but, the budget is "friendly"

• @FAT32 said:

@mrclown said:

In VM yes, but node information should be exposed if clients demanded. I think most LET people does as similar as me.

@naufalprojects said:
    I want to run 4 VPS where :
    2x 150GB HDD + 1.25GB Ram
    2x 250GB HDD + 2GB Ram

I am not sure what are you going to run on them but sure 4 VPS should work fine as long as it is not IO/CPU intensive. Try to setup RAID if possible because HDD is usually the bottleneck.

@mrclown said:
    In VM yes, but node information should be exposed if clients demanded. I think most LET people does as similar as me.

Yes I understand, but still not all providers tell their clients about this.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

To all the people pointing out that this is a bad idea - Scaleway had been powered by Atoms C2750 for a long time and they use Atom C3955 now.

And while I don't really understand it, lots of people buy it anyway.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@FHR said:
    To all the people pointing out that this is a bad idea - Scaleway had been powered by Atoms C2750 for a long time and they use Atom C3955 now.

some customers only care for the price.

@FR_Michael said:

@FHR said:

some customers only care for the price.

But it's not that cheap for LET standards

• ChuckChuck Member

@mrclown said:

@FAT32 said:

@mrclown said:

All LEB KVM providers hide it. No way to tell what cpu.

• im gonna stop you right there.

No!! A dedicated RasPi is also a bad idea. . . .!!

• @FAT32 said:

@naufalprojects said:

Is it Summer yet?

Might sell small NAT VPS boxes though.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2019

@FHR said:

Comparing Scaleway to a startup company who is asking on a public forum what hardware to use is not a fair comparison. Just because a company with a lot of employees, knowledge, experience, and money can pull it off doesn't mean anybody with $50 can do it.

@KuJoe said:

@FHR said:

Comparing Scaleway to a startup company who is asking on a public forum what hardware to use is not a fair comparison. Just because a company with a lot of employees, knowledge, experience, and money can pull it off doesn't mean anybody with $50 can do it.

I would argue one should never start a hosting company with $50, no matter the CPU used

@FHR said:

@KuJoe said:

@FHR said:

I would argue one should never start a hosting company with $50, no matter the CPU used

It's definitely possible, I started one with much less (and I made a decent profit when I sold it too). :lol:

Thanked by 3FHR Ympker pluush
  • I think he wants to advertise on LEB, so he's trying to find out what is the lowest he can get away with for a virtual heist.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2019

@KuJoe said:

@FHR said:

@KuJoe said:

@FHR said:

It's definitely possible, I started one with much less (and I made a decent profit when I sold it too). :lol:

I'd agree. You can get a decent reseller from e.g. BuyShared for way less + domain (max. 10€) + open source billing, or manual until you can afford Blesta/WHMCS monthly.

• For conclusion : So, is it good for selling a VPS with Intel Atom (C2750)?

Btw, I will sell a Backup VPS, not "standard" VPS.

edited April 2019

@naufalprojects said:
    For conclusion : So, is it good for selling a VPS with Intel Atom (C2750)?

Based on your comment on a different thread (Quoted below). Please don't start a hosting business. Learn about business ethics and what is morally correct first.

@naufalprojects said:
    For WHMCS License : Why do you ban a user if him using Nulled License? I know that is ILLEGAL, but, WHMCS License is Expensive

EDIT: Source: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2960874/

• Give me some idea on price.

@FAT32 said:

@naufalprojects said:
    For conclusion : So, is it good for selling a VPS with Intel Atom (C2750)?

Based on your comment on a different thread (Quoted below). Please don't start a hosting business. Learn about business ethics and what is morally correct first.

@naufalprojects said:
    For WHMCS License : Why do you ban a user if him using Nulled License? I know that is ILLEGAL, but, WHMCS License is Expensive

Wow, if this quote is accurate then I think this thread is done.

Do not sell VPSs on any CPU. Do not sell any services ever. Do not ever take people's money. Do not drop out of school. Do not order x-ray glasses out of a comic book. Do not allow people to give you money in exchange for any good or service you are expected to provide them. This is beyond horrible for you and all parties involved and until you learn anything about running a business don't pretend to do so.

I know that's probably brutal and really hard to hear, but trust me I'm saving you from a lot of headache and possible legal and financial troubles.

@KuJoe said:
    Wow, if this quote is accurate then I think this thread is done.

Source: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2960874/

• Ok. I will think about Dedicated Server specs, plus, prepare an "extra budget" for starting a business :smiley:

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Nah, this is a good case of failing even before taking off.

• FastmakoFastmako Member, Host Rep

Technically, Intel Atom dedicated machine can be used for selling VPS, but the power will be extremely low; maybe reduce costs from CPU to add in storage, resulting a storage VPS provider. Even so, I don't think it's worth the effort.

I would recommend to use Atom only for testing purposes, see how it goes before going in production environment, simply because it's cheaper for testing.

• Please rent dedicated server and sell atom vps here